Guest viewing is limited

TKR How’s Everyone Doing?

Sounds like you are having a smart and sensible recovery! Except for the skateboard LOL
I definitely see a difference in swelling when I elevate toes over heart or at least hips.
Have you tried that yet? If so, let us know if it helps. 10 min or so won't help, but an hour here and there with ice, too, will help the swelling.
The skateboard is used to just roll my leg back and to under a chair rather than using a plastic bag. It’s a toddlers skateboard

They don’t ask you to elevate here in the UK. I tend to lie on the sofa with ice.

I specifically asked my surgeon about elevation above my heart but he said it’s not necessary.

Just different ways of doing things from one country to another.
 
You will find that elevating will help your swelling go down.
 
Just asking all the February Valentines how they are doing.

I’m five weeks post op but still need to sleep in the afternoon. In fact today, I slept for two hours and then an later in the afternoon.

Do you have days when you feel just ‘not quite right, then days then when you feel good.

I wish I had known about all the little ‘side things’ that you get with this knee op. Sore neck and lower back pain. Nausea some days still.

Anybody else feeling the same way.
 
@Can can girl

Everything you wrote above is pretty common to all of us at your stage. And yes, there are a lot of surprise side issues!


By the way, I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month.

We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

We can change the title of your thread, if you want, to reflect your friendly interest on the others’ recovery. Just let us know what you want.
 
@Can can girl

Everything you wrote above is pretty common to all of us at your stage. And yes, there are a lot of surprise side issues!


By the way, I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month.

We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

We can change the title of your thread, if you want, to reflect your friendly interest on the others’ recovery. Just let us know what you want.
Yes, please change the title to - how’s everyone doing / or something g you thing suitable.

Regarding posting do I just continue on my original posts ?
 
Title changed.

Yes, post any updates here in this thread, like you’ve been doing, or you can also post on other members’ threads.

You can always do a search for a specific member, on the February surgery list, by using the search feature, at the top right of this page. :flwrysmile:
 
I’m five weeks post op but still need to sleep in the afternoon. In fact today, I slept for two hours and then an later in the afternoon.
You're certainly not alone.
Since your energy supply isn't limitless and you're still in healing mode after major surgery
your energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making your best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. The body does its best healing while we're sleeping, so consider those naps as beneficial and part of the healing process.
Sore neck and lower back pain.
When you consider transitioning from one assistive device to another, then laying them aside, possibly limping as your gait changes one again adjusting to the prosthetic, it is no wonder we deal with pain in areas unrelated. I believe time and patience will ease all. You're doing great, keep up the good work!
 
At 5 weeks post op I was definitely experiencing everything you mentioned. Add pain and swelling. That was my experience. At 8 1/2 weeks I feel so much better. Getting off the pain meds helped the nausea, lack of appetite. I still take one at night occasionally, but not to the extent in early recovery. I called that 5, 6, 7 week post period limbo.
It will get better and you'll have a strong pain free knee. Hang in there!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Can can girl!
Hope you're feeling a bit more energized than last time you posted.
Wishing you a great week and a lovely month of April. :flwrysmile:
@Can can girl
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Can can girl!
Hope you're feeling a bit more energized than last time you posted.
Wishing you a great week and a lovely month of April. :flwrysmile:
@Can can girl
Yes much better thank you. Almost feel like me again . I don’t use a crutch or stick anymore and can get in and out of cars better than before. Nothing that I can’t do in the house really.

Have managed to go out with a friend and hubby for lunch a few times.

Can now sit on a normal sofa.

Tiredness still hits me at about 3pm some days and I have to sleep for an hour/hour and a half but it doesn’t affect my night sleep.

Knee is sore at the back of the knee yesterday and today. I don’t walk that far and don’t do the physio now as found I did better without it. I still stretch it but I do that naturally with knees up in front of me as I watch tv.

It’s odd when you get a bad day but can’t attribute it to anything.

Last night I slept for ten hours plus a nap yesterday afternoon.

Have my third physio appt in two weeks so will be interesting to see what range I have now. (I had to cancel one appt as I couldn’t get a lift and wasn’t ready to drive the distance (UK so have a car with gears).

Saw my consultant who was really pleased. So glad on the whole I feel I’m doing really well.
 
Tiredness still hits me at about 3pm some days and I have to sleep for an hour/hour
Your body is still healing from the surgery and that takes a lot of energy. Here's a chart that explains why we continue to experience "energy drain" for so long post-op:

 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re still doing well and enjoying great progress.
A wonderful week to you!
@Can can girl
 
I’m almost six months post op and most of the time now I don’t even remember I had my knee replaced- it’s that good! Can walk for a good few miles uphill and down. Have done flights and long coach journeys with no trouble.

However, I do notice that it is still slightly warm on the outer side compared to the non operated knee. But it goes cool again when I’m lay in bed at night

Is this usual and is it because internal healing is still continuing? I have read it will stay warm for up to 12-18 months.
 
Yes, full healing takes an average of a full year, so it’s normal. You’re doing great with all you can do!
 
That's great that your knee is no longer in the front of your mind!
I do notice that it is still slightly warm on the outer side compared to the non operated knee. But it goes cool again when I’m lay in bed at night. Is this usual and is it because internal healing is still continuing? I have read it will stay warm for up to 12-18 months.
Warm feeling around the knee: the operated site may feel hot and the heat may last 3-12 months. As part of the healing process, the operation site requires more blood supply from the body, and it is this extra blood supply which gives rise to the local heat.
So no worries! Continue to enjoy each day with your new knee.
All the best to you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom