Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

It was music to my ears that your hip finally feels "stable." You ended up with the same type of revision as mine. The femoral stem was completely loose and was swapped for longer one also uncemented, but the acetabular cup remained in place with a new plastic lining. I found the recovery was easier than the first time around, I think because it was essentially half the procedure as the original THR. I have better balance now and have fallen only once in the last year, and that was when our two hound dogs started after a squirrel and pulled me over onto the soft grass. I am hoping that you experience the same recovery as I did -- easier and faster than the first time. It is such a gift to be able to walk again without pain or limp. I appreciate that every single day. Keep icing and take good care of that new hip.
 
Last edited:
I'm just so happy to read your updates! You're sleeping fairly decent and already had a shower! Woohoo!:egypdance:
And as far as days 4 and 5, mine weren't that bad either. My bad days were the first there and part of that was because of the hospital staff and I had the general anesthesia which really kicked my butt this time but didn't have a choice. Alrighty, you know the drill :ice::ice:baby!
:rotfl::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Oh my days! Such fabulous updates @Fit4Family .. Im loving the sound of your surgeon... just what you needed!!
Home must be just fabulous & to hear you are walking & feel so much more stable is amazing!!!!
YaaaaaaaaAy!!!!!!!! What a great New Year you are going to have! I feel like I’m walking on air reading this.... much love Chrissie ❤️❤️❤️
 
Hello @prairienut Thank you so much for checking in. Yes, very similar findings to your thread. I am shocked at how stable I feel. It’s been my new normal for many months so I has almost forgotten, Hoping recovery is shorter this last surgery. OS was closing next up at 1.45 minutes. First THR was 4 plus hours. Your fall sounds so scary. So glad you suffered no ill effects.

Thank you so much @leejaa Sleep so far has been so much better. Just got up from three hour nap. Exactly what I need right now.

Good to know @Elf1 about your day 4 and 5. I remember that hospital experience was rough for you. I was glad to be home, as waiting for someone to take me to restroom got old quickly. I have a fierce independent streak, so yeah, not good that first day. I get it, fall risk, but home is so much better.

Hello Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny my sweet hipster sister! Can’t believe the difference with stability. Knee especially is so much happier. Thank you for checking in. You are so sweet. Thinking of you and your friends. ❤️ You are in my prayers sweet friend. xxxx Sarah
 
I am so happy for you!! Happy as in jumping up and down and slapping my knee and even throwing hearts around like confetti! :loveshwr:

Just you stating that you feel so solid and stable on that hip? Well, that is huge!

Have a great night, Sarah.. rest and ice. :SUNsmile:
 
You crack me up @CricketHip I would throw hearts up in the air too if I could keep my balance. :loveshwr:
I love my surgeon even though pain is back up today and much more swollen and stiff. 72 hours soon, he told me to expect this. That is the negative to sleeping I guess is that moving after is harder.

Thank you so much @SurreyGirl I am thinking this pain will be worth it this time, as I am hoping I will walk unassisted again! Wishing you an incredible 2020! ❤️ xxx
 
My surgeon says he always waits until after day 3 to see his patients as it gets a bit stiff & painful as drugs wear off..... by the next few days it gets better!!!!
So glad you are getting done zzzzzz’s in hun... that is the best medicine...
A little walk when it’s stiff & no more now!!!
All my love sweetheart... Chrissie xxx❤️
 
It does seem to be a hard time after a few days. I know it hit me. I think we are euphoric for the first couple of days with the surgery being over and getting rid of the pre op pain and then the euphoria wears off some and a few bad days. The good part is that the days keep getting better and better, not fast enough but they do. :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @leejaa I did expect this, but it’s always like hitting a wall.

Love the idea that this turns a corner soon. Hoping by my OS appointment I will have true read on hip. 01/14. Energy dip is real today. So sleeping my cares away. Thank you for all your encouragement! ❤️
 
I am in awe of you for being able to coherently post here on the forum already. I also noticed you were supporting someone else on their thread earlier. I was such a mess for the first 4 days---I was in horrid pain and nauseous. I felt so depressed....like I had made a bad choice---16 months ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.:yikes:

But on Day 5 everything turned around for me and from that point on my progress was mostly forward. I was very lucky, but still recall being worried and surprised when a new pain would pop up, or an old one return. As everyone says, recovery is very uneven. You know that better than anyone.

You also need to remember that unlike those of us who had a single surgery and went through recovery, YOU have been dealing with this since back in the fall of 2018. You've had 3 procedures in a little over a year, and your reserves have to be depleted, both physically and emotionally. I think you are Wonder Woman! I'm glad to see you sharing your worries and concerns with others, even as you repeat this surgery. It reminds all of us that each surgery is unique, and that almost all of us struggle at some point, if we're honest. I'm glad you are able to sleep! Take care.:loveshwr:
 
Good Morning @Debru4 I have been fortunate with sleep this time. I am very grateful as when I am awake it hurts. Like you pain meds are not agreeable to my system so keeping pain tolerable is a bit of a challenge.

My ice pit crew was tired last night so today pain is worse. It’s also day 4, so may be that too. The silver lining to three surgeries so close together is I have put the knowledge gained to good use. Pumpkin purée anyone? Knocking off annoying side effects one day at a time. Way ahead of previous two surgeries. I also decided to really watch diet 7 days out so constipation was thankfully short lived.

Knee is very swollen this morning OS warned me of this as he had to test hip by repeatedly trying to dislocate it. It was swollen going in, so not surprising. Thankful I had the first 2 days to experience what my hip might feel like after recovery. Exparel was used during surgery this time. Have to wear arm band for 96 hours in case you return for surgery, My guess is that helped delay symptoms too.

I am so not Wonder Woman, just on a mission to put this behind me. Hope you have a great week! Thank you so much for keeping us all in your thoughts. :flwrysmile:
 
Hey Sarah
Hope your Monday is going well!!! So excited for you! The hard part is over with and now every day will be a little better.
I just came down with the flu and stuck in bed. The flu is on a rampage right now so be very careful to stay inside and keep sick people from visiting. I think I caught the flu from my granddaughter, unfortunately!
 
just on a mission to put this behind me
Oh, boy, I can well imagine this is a priority for you, @Fit4Family! The good news is that with each passing day you are closer to that goal. I am sure, particularly this week or so away from surgery, that things are hard and painful. But, as you noted, you have been through this before so that you can manage and have hope that things will improve--one day at a time, that's absolutely the way to go. I hope you feel better today, the last Monday of 2019, because with the new year's approach you can be assured that a good year will lie ahead for that pesky hip. As everyone else has commented as well, you absolutely DESERVE a better year ahead. Hang in there!
 
It is a blessing you're able to sleep through some of that pain.
Good news on the side effects front and wonderful you're not constipated. Every little issue you can keep at bay certainly helps.
Sorry to hear your knee is bothering you. Thankfully you know why. Many, like myself, wake to a painfully bruised knee one day wondering
What NOW?! :gaah:

My surgeon closes with Exparel injections also and I assume that's what spared me a lot of discomfort in addition to my almost non-stop icing. I pray these last few days of increased pain begin to wane for you quickly. You've been such a trooper through it all, still managing to check in on and lift others through their issues. I'd have to agree with, Debru4, you're honestly pretty amazing! I hope today feels a bit brighter.
Big hugs coming at ya :loveshwr:
@Fit4Family
 
If your ice crew gets tired at night and understandably so consider taking a small lunch cooler with ice packs to bed with you. I took a soft sided small cooler with ice packs with me and had it where I could reach or get to when going to bathroom and had ice packs with me (bedroom upstairs) so I could keep icing at night without waking husband. I iced pretty much non stop when in recliner or bed. One could say I am an ice addict but better than narcotics and easy to stop when not needed.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom