Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Thanks so much Carole for the advice. I did try that, and it seemed to help the leg wiggles. Two steps forward and three backwards each day right now it seems.

For some odd reason I had tears again last night. That is just so not me. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but its just not me. Think its just frustration (but i'm not frustrated) and pain. Who knows? Each day is different than the previous one. At least with my knee that's the way it has been.

Don't worry about tears. They are cleansing, both physically and emotionally.

@eaglemom How are you doing? I have been following your journey and was concerned since you haven't posted since Tuesday. Tears are normal, at least they were for me. I would cry for no reason for many months after surgery. Take care of yourself. You are in my prayers.

Thank you so much 4quilts. I was sailing along doing okay and apparently I've hit a road block. I'm not doing out patient PT, but rather trying to handle this recovery the BS way. Yesterday I did get on our recumbent bike. I only rocked back and forth for a few times before I easily went all the way around - a full revolution. I only did 5 minutes.

Fast forward to today and I'm miserable. (Something that's very difficult for me to admit.) My calf is extremely tight. The knee itself feels full - I'm thinking that from swelling. Its one of those days where you just want to be left alone. I'm certain others know and can relate to that.

I'm going to medicate myself and elevate. I can't ice, even though I know I should. The thought of cold on a cramping leg I just can't handle - at least right now I can't handle it. Thanks for checking, tomorrow will be better. Hope your doing well.

I have a couple of questions I'd like to get everyone's feedback on. I am having a hard time with calf soreness/stiffness. I've been checked for clots, that's not it. My entire live I've been prone to 'charlie horses' but this is like it really doesn't ever go away. Sometimes its worse, but never goes away. I'm taking a muscle relaxant 3x's daily to no avail. Any tricks to help.

Its still quite swollen and I am taking it easy. Afternoon's are elevating and icing, and a little snooze occasionally. Which is another question - so tired, always. I'm usually busy doing something but since surgery I've found I'm just blah. I'm contributing it to the fact that I don't feel good, yet. I know its normal to be tired, but goodness.

I'm going to call the surgeon tomorrow to see about a pain med refill. I've limited myself to one per day, occasionally 2. It scares me to think that their office is closed next week and I won't be able to get any medication if I need it. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm desperate, because I'm not. What I'm trying to do it prevent pain from getting out of control.

Thoughts?

I had inexplicable fatigue until a visit to my primary care doctor and some labs disclosed that I had significant iron deficiency anemia. If you can, see if you can have a CBC done by your PCP. You have had some major surgeries within the space of a year. You never know, your hemoglobin may not have recovered between them. My leg was incredibly swollen after my right TKR. My surgeon put me on a course of minocycline out of an abundance of concern about the possibility of cellulitis. That was never confirmed but eventually the swelling did abate. Finally, I would ask the doctor's office if you could try gentle heat on the calf, or if that might be damaging. I hope you start to feel better soon. You have certainly been through the wringer.

I hadn't thought about having a blood draw to check my levels. See, that's why this board is so vital - we can help one another out. Thank you Motherbone for that suggestion - blood work is being done tomorrow.

I have received more pain medication and a prescription for Celebrex. For that I am thankful.

I know others have complained about when a cold front moves in (or a front of any type) that their knee's protest. Can someone explain that to me? We've had a temp drop from 72 all day until around 5 when a cold front blew in and dropped the temp to low 40's. My knee has been in protest all day!! I just want to understand the "why" that happens.

Happy healing everyone.

We've had a temp drop from 72 all day until around 5 when a cold front blew in and dropped the temp to low 40's. My knee has been in protest all day!! I just want to understand the "why" that happens.
I believe the pain happens when this changes happen quickly. A quick change in barometric pressure also makes them hurt. Why? I sure don't know! I researched it and no one seems to know for sure but just that it does happen.

I too am an excellent predictor of weather. One time in Brazil the weather was beautiful and I said, "Oh there is a massive storm coming here in about 24 hours". Everyone cracked up and thought I was crazy and said, "Yeah right Amy". Sure enough it was the worst torrential rainstorm of the season!

The most popular hypothesis suggests that when the barometric pressure drops before a storm or the temperature changes drastically, there is less gravity to prevent additional swelling in joints that might already be inflamed from a previous injury or arthritis or whatever.

As the swelling increases, the nerves surrounding the joint will register this change and report increased amounts of pain!

Did you talk to your doc about getting a CBC?

Amy

I'm experiencing that too today! Revision hurts (sore/swelling), temp dropped 10 degrees.

Phew, am I ever glad last night is over. What a night of sleeplessness and restlessness and lets toss in pain for good measure! I had been so very careful with preparing our Thanksgiving dinner. I spaced things out and sat when I could. All in all I thought I did well. Obviously I was tired but that I can handle.

On Friday we never left the house. I didn't 'do' anything exciting, two loads of laundry and ran the dishwasher. (Also what I didn't do was ice - lesson learned.) I have also been going to bed earlier than my normal - just to be able to stretch and have some reading time - that didn't happen for some reason yesterday. (Another lesson learned.) When I went to bed the knee was tight feeling and sore, but certainly nothing too bad. However, I could not get my leg/knee comfortable. I was having all sorts of muscle spasms, from my calf to my thigh. Finally took a pain pill hoping that would at least relax me some. Then I heard it....... a rumble to thunder. Hmm. Was my knee responding to the upcoming front? I don't know. Or a reaction from doing more than usually the last several days? Or was it related to the front? I have no answers other than this tired gal will be icing and elevating today. I can't handle many of those types of nights. Ugh.

Hoping everyone is having a happy healing weekend.

We're having a blizzard here. Started basically yesterday w/freezing drizzle which turned to ice about as soon as it hit anything it touched.
Today 8-12 inches of snow and wind 35 mph.
Whole town is shut down.

Was my knee responding to the upcoming front? I don't know. Or a reaction from doing more than usually the last several days? Or was it related to the front?
I think it's more likely to be related to the extra activity. Possibly, you did more than you realised.

My knee did react to great weather changes. I think it might be both of the things making your knee hurt.

Yes it is hard to know what is too much and what is not enough.
In other words damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Touching base here. I have found (like others) that it is very easy to overdo. And then you set yourself back. Ugh. I am only at 9 weeks so my knee is still very much a baby new knee.

I think was did it was I was outside walking a few houses down & back. I was very much concentrating on stretching out my stride along with heal toe walking. If anyone were looking out their window they would have wondered what I was doing. I think maybe I was way over exaggerating my steps - note to self, don't do that again! Elevating, icing and medicating certainly helped. I've noticed today I've very tender. Pain truly is the price you pay for overdoing. Now, if I can just remember that.

When did the color of a revision posting change? I must have missed it. Now MUA's are yellow and revisions are dark blue. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Just recently.

I know...about the color changes, I noticed it the other day and thought I was just not paying attention back when the new system came on. The other day, my 4-year-old granddaughter said "focus, focus, focus grandma!" So now I'm wondering what I'm missing!:loll:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom