THR Hiptopia!

Happy Thanksgiving, @Calgal. So much to be thankful for, and a lovely tradition no matter where its celebrated. We'll have a quiet one tomorrow, church first for Thanksgiving service, then my mom and brother over for the traditional meal and some football on TV. All kids working in hospitals so we wont see them, but after Thanksgiving comes the mother of all Holidays, the most wonderful time of the year......!

Happy Thanksgiving @Calgal ! Your sentiments are beautiful. So glad your new hip has you preparing a wonderful feast this year.
I also, am found of Ina Garten recipes. I will use her more vegetarian recipe for stuffing.
Have a wonderful gathering and celebration!

What lovely Thanksgiving thoughts and wishes, @Calgal. I, too, am grateful for so many wonderful happenings in my life this year, and I am looking forward to Thanksgiving as well--and incredibly grateful that I am NOT the one preparing the meal, just contributing homemade rolls and a salad. You sound like you've got things well in hand, and I'm betting it will be a happy, fulfilling day with lots of yummy food and good friends. Cheers!

Thank you @Mojo333 ! I have had several hip challenges this past festive week :flabber: and feel limpy gimpy again. I keep reminding myself at 7 months what my dear OS said from the very first appointment - "expect a 12 month recovery and even then, aches and pain after long days/intense activities that requires a couple of paracetamols is normal." But it's been a reality thump. :boohoo:I really appreciated your recent repost of your own 6 month recovery on someone else's thread (can't remember who it was). I needed to read about the experiences of our members who've lived with their hips for an extended time (who thankfully have been popping back in to post this season) to keep my own recovery in perspective. A recent charity dog walk forced me to abandon the group half way and limp back through the mud to the meeting point, moaning all the way, which was SO demoralising. But at least I was there, and then survived cooking 2 sequential Christmas dinners for family. Yes indeed - looking forward to more hiptopia and less paracetamol in 2020!! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:. Thanks to you all for your support on this journey.

Sorry you stuck your head in the ODIC apparently...and your hip had to remind you that it is still working things out.:unsure:
I've had to be Humbled at times..

I have found even at 2 1/2 years out, I have to get stretched out and warm things up before jumping into overactivity or else my muscles complain. Also they don't like lifting heavy weights.
I am also determined to get about 10 lbs off this new year.
I commandeered this quote from the late great Martin Luther King Jr.
Says it all for me.
We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was.”

Hi @Calgal ...yep, it happens to the best of us. I look at it as worth it since Christmas comes but once a year. I am looking forward to next Christmas when the bulk of the healing will be under my belt. I have been doing this for 5 years and I am ready to enjoy these new hips completely. Christmas is a bell weather for me as the memories are pretty clear and how my hips were doing each year.

Sorry to hear about your charity walk and having to bail out. Isn't it a wonderful thought to know that all of this is temporary and that you will be able to do it in the future with no pain?

We spent Christmas at our son and DIL's and I slept in a harder bed than at home. The first night went fine but the next night I started feeling achy and my hip let me know about it. Extra swelling into the bargain, but all is well today.

I have enjoyed reading your journey and congratulate you in your progress. After all, we do have control over when and what we do. Sometimes it works perfectly, other times we get a lesson learned.

Awesome :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:

This time of year has so many extra events and obligations. Hoping your trip to ODIC is short lived. My stamina definitely improved around 7.5 months. Just said the same thing to my husband about next Christmas. You will get there. Take it easy this weekend. No dancing quite yet. Happy 2020 @Calgal

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

My stamina definitely improved around 7.5 months.
Stamina seems to be the key word, @Fit4Family . I can do most everything but still not too quickly and not for too long. Although my hip isn't complaining as much today, my last 10 days of every-other-day extra exertion has taken its toll and I am now back in bed nursing a nasty head cold. :swoon: Obviously just cranked up the intensity a bit too fast this holiday season. Lesson learned. Like you am looking forward to a more back-to-normal next year. Thanks for the peptalk! :friends:

Ugh, a head cold, @Calgal, that doesn't sound like much fun! I hope you feel better today. I think the holiday season is hard for all recovering hipsters, no matter where they are in their recovery as we all push ourselves harder this time of year and too often pay the price with increased aches and pains. So, rest up and take care of yourself--2020 is just around the corner and you're going to be in great shape for the new year! Cheers!

Hi @Calgal
Read elsewhere you're suffering with a head cold. So miserable! I hope it eases quickly. I'm guessing it's getting close to the time Big Ben will be tolling in 2020. May it be a year of many blessings for you.
Happy New Year!

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

8 months and 5 days report. Things are continuing to improve, despite feeling very stiff and a bit limpy during all this cold and damp weather. :groan: Too much couch potato time methinks. My post Christmas nasty lingering headcold is finally gone and I went back to Pilates last week - first time since before Christmas. Boy, was I stiff! She managed to loosen things up nicely without any residual hip pain. It feels really good afterwards. I went again tonight. I'm pleased to report that I was able to easily do the dreaded crab walk and monster walk (squats with a resistance band, walking either sideways or forward) without any trouble! She said I looked very balanced both sides, which has always been my goal - to equalise both sides. I had lots of trouble with those back at around 6 months. Not sure if it was my continued Pilates, just plain old time, or plain old normal walking that has helped me improve my strength...but whatever, I'm happy I'm continuing to build back some strength that I lost over the years of OA hobbling and THR recovery. :yes!: I didn't really start strength building till 3+ months, and there is still improvement to be gained, but I'm heading in the right direction. :thumb:. Keep the faith hipsters. Don't try to do too much too soon. Slow and steady wins this race for sure. :egypdance:

A very good and positive update! Glad your cold has left for good.. you sound great! I'd love to find a Pilates person like youf ound, with a PT background.

She's SO great, @CricketHip! I've actually 'graduated' to get on her waiting list to join a real class! Much more affordable. Still only 6 people max, so lots of support. I'm truly blessed to have found one so close to where I live not in a big city.

What a wonderful update @Calgal I know the poses you are talking about. :yahoo:Very happy that you feel balanced and strong! Very encouraging to all us hipsters. Sounds like you have a great place. It is such a great workout.

:hi:
So nice to see you doing well and still supporting others on the site.
Things will keep getting better and better and you will get stronger and stronger.
Yay for new hips!:egypdance:

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!
I hope you‘ve had a good day! With the time difference, your day is winding down as we’re not quite to the dinner hour yet here. Hopefully you did something fun to celebrate
this special day and the great progress you’ve made. Wishing for you that year two is even better! :)
@Calgal

A year ago today I was blessed not just with a new hip, but with a new life! Had my 12 month followup with OS (telephone) a couple of weeks ago and am now officially discharged. Yippee! :dancy: I just wish I could have given him a great big hug for giving me (and my husband) normal life again...even though now I'm fighting fit we're constrained with the covid crisis. This year I'm back to gardening with a vengeance and going for long walks in the Worcestershire woods with my beloved hubby and faithful Springer furbaby. Yes it took the better part of 12 months to really feel normal again, but my OS was always honest about that and I'm glad he was. Bonesmart has been my saving grace. :loveshwr:So many friends shared my journey and gave me support every tender feeble step. Thank you to advisors, @Layla, @Mojo333, @CricketHip, @Jaycey for all your wisdom. And @Debru4 and @leejaa, @Hip4life @Barbaraj for words of experience. Hugs to all my maymarvels 2019 for supporting each other. Special gratitude for letting me join all your virtual travels @Mayhip8 , @ChrissyW , @ahipgma . Thanks to @ceezee for getting me into baking ken forkish artisan sourdough bread! I feel we are kindred spirits. So many other bonesmarties im sure I'll forget to mention all of you but you are forever in my heart. Dear @Elf1 always a positive influence!! Hope others are still doing well.. @Cecropia, @linette333, @Fiona444, @Mersada (have you scheduled your hip yet?)...so many pals, so many posts. @Eman85 you always made me laugh. Thanks to everyone and hope all of you continue to enjoy your new bionic bods! :egypdance:
For those waiting for your new hips, I pray your wait won't be too much longer. Hang in there, it's worth it in the end. Love to you all.

@Calgal happy, happy one year anniversary! So happy to hear you're feeling normal again. As always, you're so thoughtful in your posts. On to year two and hope even more normal comes your way! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom