THR Hiptopia!

I use the elliptical machine a few times per week and have for years with my THR. (I just finished an hour on the elliptical about 30 minutes ago, actually.) When I started out, I was a few weeks post-op and I didn't use the handles. I just held the bar in front. After a few months, I started using the moving handles and that's what I do now.

So, based on my experience, I don't think there's a problem using the elliptical after THR. Take it slow and really ease into it though. Maybe start without using the moving handles and see how that goes. Then add that in when you feel ready for it.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
would wonder about the arm movements placing a little twist to your torso and your hip?

That's exactly what I was worried about! Also looked at some photos and worried I would be bending forward too much, as my very conservative OS said at 6 weeks to continue to be 'careful' of 90 degrees (not a firm no no but mindful for at least a few more weeks). I know some surgeons don't even give these restrictions, but I had a posterior and I'm a pretty obedient patient - don't want to jeopardize this whole ordeal with anything! Thanks for input. I'll look closer for the little handles in front. :treadmill:
 
I have a canvas tote with a pretty fern printed on it that just fits my cushion. So I feel more discreet and I can just sit on the pillow, leaving it in the tote.

Great idea @Rbc ! I bought one that has a carry handle but it's a mesh surface for breathability but that's not so comfy for long either. A soft cotton tote might do the trick. Glad we can both be normal together! Everyone seems to have a little niggle somewhere that lingers after the initial 2 weeks of hell. Small price to pay for the freedom from hip pain every minute pre-op!! We'll get there!:yes!:

I'm going to my last PT session tomorrow and she has been very supportive about walking aid. I'm toddling along sometimes in house without crutch but it's not pretty. She's a stickler for no limping so will report back tomorrow afternoon on the transition verdict. I'm not worried, it will come when my body is ready. :walking:
 
Hi Calgal, glad your recovering well and really like your tips about seating cushions in totes . I will try that soon . My OS on my 6 week follow up not so strict on 90 degrees but states not to EVER cross my legs again. I am posterior too and had both my hips done within one week so one hip on follow up was only at 5 weeks .
He commented on my not so perfect gait and recommended a cross trainer to improve it so I will be venturing up to join the gym . I will feel a bit strange going around the gym as still using crutches but I will get over my self consciousness. Hope your physio goes well .
 
@cornishgal wow 2 hips a week apart? Eeks I can't even imagine that! Commend your fortitude. Yeah, I guess for you double hippies there is no way you could cross either side. I still have to stop myself from doing it without thinking. Yes, I'm hoping the cross trainer will help even out my gait. Stay tuned! Wishing you a continued steady recovery.

Ps love your Spaniel! :dogwalk:
 
I used and will again use an elliptical when I'm able, and I don't think there is really a twisting movement with it even with arms. And YOU control how fast you go and how much resistance, so if you build up gradually I'd think you'd be fine. Seems like your torso is pretty straight even as your legs and arms are churning, but I wouldn't be too concerned that it would be a problem, @Calgal. But, that's just me so always rely upon your surgeon and his/her team for advice. I used a foam cushion when I went out to restaurants early on. It was one we got when our son was in high school (we must have donated money and got it, I can't imagine buying it) so it had his high school's mascot on it--ugly but useful, and it had a convenient handle built in so I just strode (waddled) confidently into restaurants with it.
 
Third outpatient PT session today. As I've mentioned before, they are really just checkups with recommendations as needed. Today, 8 1/2 weeks, she was thrilled with my gait, strength, and ROM. Said I am a "model patient' since I've clearly been doing all the exercises they recommended. :rofsign: NOT!! Just walking ala Bonesmart!! I have done a few of the clams stretches in our hot tub, as I know I'm stiff as a board that way. Have been since year dot. The bubbles and warm water seem to help loosen my muscles. Sort of my own little hydrotherapy pool. Although happy my wayward toe pointed out problem is solved, I'm still on one crutch. She checked out my no-crutch waddle and suggested I continue on one until I'm not limping. As I said before, she's a stickler for gait. Said that she thinks I'm close to dropping it, strength should come maybe another week or two. Said it wouldn't even be a problem if I used it up to 3 months! So I'm discharged from PT 'to continue doing what I'm doing'. Shhh! Don't tell those poor physiotherapists we bone smarties know what works! :heehee:

So all is good in hiptopia. Just chugging along till I see my OS in 4 months. Still a long way to go, but step by step, day by day, I make progress the Bonesmart way. :yes!:
 
@Calgal that is great! I figure I'm going to check out the PT I'm scheduled for tomorrow, hoping to have someone reasonable that concentrates on my gait. You are doing fantastic, keep doing what you're doing! Shh, we won't tell the PTs we know the real deal! :heehee:
 
Amazing @Calgal ! What a wonderful session you had! Isn’t it good that we know what we do before we attend physio sessions so we can ensure we get benefits rather than strained tendons! My physio mantra seems to be if it hurts don’t do it which i like and feel confident that the moves i do will help me towards my goal. Great stuff :loveshwr:
 
Happy to read how well you are progressing @Calgal
Sounds like you are handling your recovery very well.
That personal hydrotherapy pool sounds magical.
May try that next time I’m at community pool. Bet it feels great.
Hope you have a great week!
 
:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a nice day so far. Sounds like your recovery is moving along nicely. Keep up the good work.
Enjoy your evening! :)
@Calgal
 
Drumroll..! Woo hoo! Here's to side sleeping again!

At exactly 9 weeks I rolled over onto my op side this morning and believe it or not, it was more comfortable than the non-op side! :egypdance:. I've been trying (in vain) to sleep on non op side for about 2 weeks. It's getting easier but still can't stay comfy for very long before I roll onto my back again. Since my op side / incision area has been the most tender the whole recovery process, I was reluctant to even try it. But to my amazement it wasn't so bad. I did have a very soft down pillow in front to cushion my scar area just in case.

Another tick on the way to back to normality. :yes!:
 
Oh, boy, @Calgal! I confess it made me very jealous to read about your ability to sleep on your side! That is a goldstar milestone for me. I really hate back sleeping but right now I've got no choice. So, hurray for you--and wonderful report from your PT session. What they don't know won't hurt 'em, so I am sure we all chuckled at how your PT raved about well you're doing with your exercises and you just smiled and nodded. Here's to Bonesmart wisdom!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom