THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Definitely sounds like you have a plan to work on your weight, I need to do the same. I had actually lost some right before and after the surgery but seems it's starting to come back which isn't good for the hips or back. I would love 130s but think menopause permanently mixed that! :snork:

Love New England but definitely not in the winter! Went for a visit a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving and had flurries from airport to my BILs. We get to the house, he comes to the door and I give him a big hug and said ok, nice visit, have to go back home don't do snow anymore! He about fell out! You'd never know I grew up in northern Ohio! :rotfl:
 
Is that really true, @FayeL , that hip replacements do weigh more than our original hips and add to 3 to 4 pounds? I really hope that is true which would explain the slight weight gain for me. I've been putting down these extra pounds to diet, lack of exercise, aging, etc. If I could attribute this to heavy hips that would be something POSITIVE about hip replacement surgery if you're correct (and, yeah, that's totally apart from getting rid of hip pain!)

You seem so sensible, @Hipster64, about your approach to weight--getting to a good range which makes sense for you, is healthy and just as importantly, achievable and can be maintained, is critical. As women, we probably all have friends who talk constantly about losing weight but in so many cases it is all about getting down to some illusory weight that they've not been at since they were teenagers. Clearly, that will never happen and they are discouraged. But to say, "I can do this" and then--surprise, surprise--actually take the needed steps to reach this sensible goal--that's great, so keep up the good work!
 
@FayeL : Interesting! That does explain why I only was two pounds thinner from my second to first pre-op-yet people that hadn't seen me since pre-surgery thought I looked a bit thinner. Gee, if I knew I was going to automatically gain four pounds on hip replacements I would have reconsidered (lol).

@Barbaraj : When I graduated from high school in 1982 at age 17 I weighed 142 so that isn't too crazy of a teenage weight. So to get back into the 150s would be reasonable for me and just enough so that I don't have to buy all new clothes. It's funny because I have seen recent pictures of and have physically seen girls I went to high school with that were tiny little micro-things back in the day....some of them made fun of me for my weight...and now, even with a weight gain I look thinner than them!
 
Unfortunately the research I’ve seen doesn’t show that the implants are that much heavier. The best controlled study I’ve been able to find said implants weigh .24 lb more than the bone plus any associated tissue that was removed. :chinstroke:
 
Oh, boo, hiss @ceezee, here we were all hoping that we could blame any extra poundage on hip replacements! Heavy sigh...

And, yes, @Hipster64, isn't it interesting to see how folks are looking at reunions. I just went to one a year ago, and it was startling to me how much some folks had changed and yet how some folks looked remarkably the same. Unfortunately, both of the women I spent most of the evening with had their teenage figure (although presumably bolstered up with--ahem--some spandex to smooth out the inevitable drifting down that is gravity! Keep your chin up, sounds like you're looking good and those last few pounds will be coming off as the months progress.
 
if I knew I was going to automatically gain four pounds on hip replacements I would have reconsidered

Here is an article on the topic from the BoneSmart Library -

At not even two months post op from your last surgery @Hipster64
I'm sure as your recovery progresses and your activity level increases, as happens with those who choose not to sit around all day, you'll get back to where you want to be. :yay: You're doing great, keep it up and enjoy the weekend!
 
Happy Tuesday, @Hipster64 I hope things are going well, and with each passing day, apart from some periodic bumps on the road, that you're doing better and feeling stronger and more confident. It's a sunny day in my neck of the wood, which always perks up my day although I'm looking forward (not...) to my second Pilates class late this morning. Still shuffling around in my bathrobe and slippers, putting off the inevitable at the moment. Cheers!
 
@Barbaraj : Pilates classes....I envy you! I'm still in therapy twice a week but they are working me now. I have already asked them to outline an exercise plan for me upon discharge and they agreed to help me with that.

We have had rain most of the day today and there is talk of snow on Friday. Hope you were able to enjoy the sunshine in your neck of the woods today!
 
Bad news. I am now on hold with CIGNA. They refuse to pay me any more short-term disability past today, have basically accused me of lying about my condition and are demanding more information clarifying why I cannot return to work, and why my employer cannot accommodate me at this point. I have to return to the OS on Friday morning at 8 AM to go over some restriction forms CIGNA sent them. I told them that since my employer has approved my leave of absence, then what's it to them how long I am out? I filed a complaint to a senior case manager and am now waiting to hear back from them. My claims office is Pittsburgh and closes at 5 PM EST. If I do not hear from anyone by 4:45 I am calling back.

You better believe I am fighting this. I am NOT returning to work before my therapy is completed. I am NOT getting cut from the therapy I deserve to have that will bring me back to optimum condition. I am NOT letting CIGNA cheat me out of reclaiming back my life. I have fought too long for this!
 
I am so sorry you're having to deal with this. I have a feeling they just don't know who they are messing with! You show them they shouldn't like the bear or Taz! :tantrum2:
 
@Elf1 : I just got off the phone with a nurse consultant from CIGNA, who shockingly called me back. Talk about miscommunication-or no communication in my case-with my claims manager. Here are some of the highlights of our conversation which bordered on ridiculous:

1. The nurse advised me that my claims manager should be calling me at various intervals to discuss the claim. I told her that aside from form letters received in the mail, my claims manager has NEVER contacted me to discuss anything; in fact, the only time I ever spoke with her was when I initiated contact. I told the nurse I'd have a better chance of talking to Elvis or Jimmy Hoffa, and my nickname for my claim manager is "AWOL" because she's never around.

2. The nurse asked me about my "bilateral hip replacement". I told her that although I have bilateral hip replacements, that they were not done at the same time and were done eight weeks apart. The nurse did not realize that my replacements were subsequent, and thought I had both hips done at the same time back in July!. Does anyone read the notes, or for that matter, does anyone take notes? She did state "Well, that changes things".

3. I told the nurse about my being in PT twice a week which I love and is very helpful, that I have PT till 11/26, and that I lost three weeks PT due to Surgery #1 that everyone involved agrees I can make up in December. The nurse DID NOT EVEN REALIZE I WAS IN PT! What did she think I was doing all this time, twiddling my thumbs? They had NO PT notes for me on file and now have to request them. (I called PT immediately after hanging up with CIGNA and tipped them off).

4. The nurse said that they like to contact patients so they can "paint the whole picture" for disability medical reviews. Well, their paint box must have needed refilling because this was the ONLY time any nurse from CIGNA has ever contacted me, and it was only done because the poor customer care representative took my call as a complaint. If "AWOL" did her job, they would have known that my surgeries were consecutive and that I have been in physical therapy for a total of over two months!

So basically I remain unpaid until they get the restriction form from the OS (which he is going over with me on Friday morning) and they get the PT notes to complete another review. And so it goes!
 
Last edited:
Good heavens @Hipster64 ! I'm sure you will get it all straightened out but how annoying that you are the one who has to educate everyone on the other end.
I agree that they sure don't seem to actually read the info in front of them. Well, my bet is on you, keep placing your calls and it will get rectified.

Sorry you are unpaid for the time being, that is so stressful. :console2:
 
@CricketHip: Thank you and @Elf1 for your kind words and support. I just couldn't believe the lack of communication on the claim rep's part. As stated previously, I work in the auto insurance industry and my company has extremely high standards as to how customers should be treated. I was never given the claim rep's email address nor her last name-I happened to find that information out by happenstance and powers of deduction (email format from other CIGNA employees). The nurse said it was because of "safety" reasons that I wasn't given this information-I told her I understood that since during my 29-plus year career I have received death threats and obscene calls before from angry claimants that have been cut off from benefits-but I have never withheld my last name nor my email address from the public. By them doing that, it leads me to believe they don't want you to communicate with them so they don't have to respond in kind. If I pulled that at my job, I'd be home all right-home for good due to termination.

To top it off, the nurse threw my OS under the bus, claiming his notes were vague, incomplete and illegible. Again, they were never a problem before, now all of a sudden it's a problem?

Oh well, nothing more can be done until Friday morning anyway, when I meet with the OS. Tomorrow after my PT session I have highly anticipated plans to meet my best friend for lunch, shopping and much needed girl talk. I don't want this drama to spoil my day.
 
Hello and a Happy Thursday to you! :wave:
I hope you have a good PT session today and a reassuring meeting with your surgeon tomorrow. Enjoy the lunch, girl talk and shopping you have planned with your bestie today! :friends:
@Hipster64
 
Well, I think they messed with the wrong person.. you know what you are talking about and it will take some extra effort and aggravation but have no doubt you will get this cleared up, pronto.
I've always worried about people who are much older or otherwise incapacitated and don't have the ability to plow through the mountains of paperwork and verbage so they just accept they aren't getting what they need or deserve.

For that reason, I watched my mothers benefits and paperwork like a hawk.

Keep us posted @Hipster64 ? I'm very interested in how you get this handled.. you know we are here with our support!!
 
It just amazed me the BS, and I don't mean Bone Smart, they are trying to pull! And then the nurse is in on it too!?! Then again it doesn't.

As we had discussed before I had Cigna but was administered through a third party and then there is some additional company they use that decided what is and is not allowable and what they will pay. My short term disability was through some other life insurance company, has no idea who anyone was. Had to submit the paperwork through the corporate hqs.

I found with the administrator, that when I was given a name it was only the first name, no desk phone number, always had to go through the main line and get whomever happened to be up in the que next. Never given emails and was promised calls back but never received them.

I hope you can get this straight soon and get your payments started back up quickly.
 
Oh, boy, @Hipster64 that is an amazing (and very discouraging but perhaps all too common) story about how the right hand is not talking to the left hand in insurance land and you are the one they want to pay the price! Good for you for being assertive and sticking up for yourself, and staying on top of this. I agree with @Elf1 that when I read/hear about this kind of thing it makes me wonder how less informed and perhaps elderly or incapacitated patients deal with this kind of thing! I bet you are so glad you are in the insurance industry and you can definitely speak from experience about how insurance is supposed to work and how it clearly isn't in this situation. Good luck on Friday with your OS, I know he supports you and fingers crossed that you can get this all sorted out quickly. Sheesh...

Oh, and have a lovely time shopping and lunching with your pals--I'd be having a glass of wine with my lunch, to allow my tongue to loosen so I could provide scathing and perhaps scatological reviews of those idiots at CIGNA! Unbelievable!
 
@CricketHip : And this is why whenever my 79-year-old father requests my help with paperwork, I give it to him, no questions asked. I helped him lower his home and auto insurance payments and assisted him with applying for a disability parking placard after my mom passed away (she had one, but he didn't, and he had his own medical issues as well that warranted a placard).

And speaking of placards, I did get some good news in the mail from the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles today-they renewed my placard to 6/26/20! That should get me safely through my first New England winter as a double hippie.

@Elf1: Yep, I only had AWOL's first name, the last name initial and no extension for the longest time. It was only through the customer care reps, who are very nice, that I was able to get her extension. Of course every time I call it, she is either on the line or out of the office. I reached her twice over the course of this claim so far. She has never reached out to me via phone.

@Barbaraj : I had a wonderful time going to lunch and shopping. We only went to Kohl's which worked out well because they have shopping carts and benches-my left knee was starting to ache so it was nice to sit down. My friend thought the whole thing was nuts too, and thinks that once I visit the OS I will get it all straightened out. I'll let you know tomorrow how that portion works out.

As always, thanks for all of your support!
 
Just returned from the OS. He advised me that this is the first time he has ever received a restriction form from any short-term disability company. He acknowledged my back issues due to levoscoliosis on the left side, which is aggravating my left hip. He further stated that he knows that I have had more complications than most due to consecutive surgeries. However, he did note that he has sent laborers back to work on a hip replacement faster than me. (I wanted to ask how many hips these laborers had done but I refrained).

Between the two of us he was able to craft something that sounded concrete enough to confirm I still need work, but vague enough about the return date, stating that we will know more when I return on my next follow-up appointment on 12/3. He also put in an order for PT for my exacerbated lower back which could somewhat justify prolonged PT and disability. He further stated that if necessary, I can undergo a functional capacity exam through PT if CIGNA continues to play hardball, but he doesn't feel it will come to that. However, there is a good shot that I may be returning to work in December and we may have to compromise. This means that I have to submit an updated return to work note from my employer. Again, my employer is not giving me the hard time; CIGNA is. I could stay out until January based on the OS disability note but that means I won't be paid. Happy Holidays!

To top it off, I see that I will be receiving another letter from them dated today, again reiterating that they won't pay past 11/5 until they receive further paperwork from the OS, which he promised me would be completed and faxed over early next week. And they sent me yet another return to work form-the seventh one in four months. So until CIGNA gets the OS's completed form-which he will work on this weekend and send out on Monday-I remain unpaid. It really aggravates me because my sister-in-law, whom I work with, was out last year for rotator cuff repair and CIGNA paid her for over five months! (However, she and her husband should be professional dairy farmers because they know how to milk things-another story.) Yet I have had two consecutive hip replacements, which technically I should get 12 weeks each, and I have to fight like Rocky Balboa's last battle in the ring to be paid.

As an aside, the OS told me that CIGNA is aware of the two consecutive surgeries because it was clearly mentioned in the restriction letter. So God only knows what that nurse was on when she called me on Wednesday. The saga continues!
 
Last edited:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom