THR Hipster Newly Post-Op

Thanks @Eman85 - I’m definitely not doing enough walking. Can’t drive yet and getting to stores not in immediate future. Have to force myself just like I have to force myself to rest! Need to get on computer to start working from home a little bit before I physically go back in a couple of weeks. The thought is daunting at this point. Somewhat anxious due to nature of job (not too physical but mental). Onward and upward!
 
Mine is my L hip so driving was no big deal. Today the weather is miserable so I plan on going out to get some indoor walking. My Dr. put me off for 90 days and that's my plan right now. I've rushed back from other ortho surgeries too quickly because of work and I swore I wasn't going to do it this time. They warn against sitting too long in a car and I'm sure it applies to a desk job.
 
Hi @Debluca. I had goal of getting back to exercise bike. I asked about it at my two week check up and was given approval for home pt to start me on it (have recumbent bike at home). She started me off slow and steady and I am now up to 20 minutes. Perhaps check with your doc and pt on when would be sensible for you?
 
Hi @Debluca
Are you feeling really tired and therefore not walking enough?
Energy drain does happen so please don't be hard on yourself. You're only 2 1/2 weeks post op.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Your mental acuity will feel off if you're not getting enough restorative rest.
Your body is using all of its energy for healing and not leaving a great reserve for all of the other activity of daily life. Rest / sleep as often as you are able. Our body does it's best healing then.
A great week to you!
 
Hi @Debluca
Are you feeling really tired and therefore not walking enough?
Energy drain does happen so please don't be hard on yourself. You're only 2 1/2 weeks post op.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Your mental acuity will feel off if you're not getting enough restorative rest.
Your body is using all of its energy for healing and not leaving a great reserve for all of the other activity of daily life. Rest / sleep as often as you are able. Our body does it's best healing then.
A great week to you!

Hi Layla - Energy drain hit me yesterday for sure - I had a hard time getting my act together for really the first time. Today is 3 weeks and I took a shower which started everything off right! Almost 5000 steps on Fitbit and walking without cane good part of the day! Need to start transitioning back to upstairs bedroom so I can get back on work schedule in a couple of weeks. I think the thought overwhelmed me but I have no choice. Have to go out Friday to take care of some outside matters and thinking of asking hubs to take me shopping so can use a shopping cart for extra mileage! Will make sure to ice & rest once home for sure. Going up and down stairs is SO much fun with no pain in hip! Can’t remember last time that was the case lol.
 
Wonderful news!
It sounds like you're doing great @Debluca
I agree, walking up and down stairs without pain is such a joy.
We learn to be appreciative once again of so many little things
we took for granted before pain and limitations took over.
I enjoyed your update and hope the rest of your week is good!
 
:goodpost: happy things are progressing well.
Onward and upward!
 
Hello! I’m at 4 weeks today and must say feeling pretty good overall except for some stomach issues now and then probably due to iron supplements I have to take. Off pain meds altogether, so sleep can still be a challenge. I’ve been working from home this week and last (on my own schedule, but transitioning back to office next week. Surgeon is okay with it if I’m okay - not driving yet, but going to try this weekend. I’m an Admin for a busy department in a hospital (no backup while I’ve been out) so I’m very anxious about when I do go in how much sitting I’ll be doing in front of computer. What kind of cushion should I bring for chair, etc. I’m lucky that Physical Therapy dept is in the building where I work but the doc did not prescribe it for me. There is a small gym as well which I may go in to at night just to do my stretching and maybe recumbent bike. I know it’s early but I need blessings and positive thoughts sent my way! Thanks for this forum- I enjoy reading the feedback from others on other threads.
 
:hi:How are things progressing?

7 weeks yesterday - went for X-ray (had to do at hospital not doctors office). He thought I'm doing ok - I was having a "good" day when I saw him and he had me stand on one leg - I was surprised I could stand for a few seconds before getting wobbly but realize I'm no where near where I want. He seems to to think my operated leg is a little longer than the other - recommended PT just for gait training and some strength. After reading some posts on here I'm thinking of putting off for a few weeks before starting. I'm going to Maine memorial weekend and hope to be able to walk the parade route! (Maybe a mile and a half.) Wish sleep came easier but it was never great to begin with! ;-) Hope you are progressing as well!
 
:hi:How are things progressing?

Oh, and I am back at work - we are extremely short staffed so my return was welcome - made sure to make it clear there are things I just can't do yet (like replacing water bottle on cooler lol) or doing a lot of bending, but I'm lucky I have a good support system there. Getting in and out of car takes time - have to do it a certain way - but getting a little easier and driving no problem once seat is set right. Just have to be constantly mindful of every move.
 
Getting into car, I found sitting down first then bringing legs in works best. Pre surgery it was leg, tush, other leg, all in one quick swoop!
 
Back
Top Bottom