Guest viewing is limited

Hippy New Year

yeah me too Claire...day 1-3 scares me !!! I can handle the pain, rehab...it is the surgery and day 1-3 that scares me...
 
Fear not @psychteach , days 1-3 are actually easy. Pain is controlled and lots of staff are helping you get mobile. I know it is hard to imagine - but the pain you are feeling now is worse than any post-op pain. And the good news is post op pain can be controlled.
 
Thank you jaycey and charmed life. That eases me a little. I need to be able to give up the control and let others take care of me and know they know what to do. Charmed life- I see you had the anterolateral . I believe that is what I will be getting..how is it different than anterior in recovery? When he told where he would be going in it seemed like exactly the same place as I see the anterior pics??? Confused. Did you have the robotics with it? My doc is going to do that also.. God I am so crazy and scared over all my choices and which are right ones:(
 
@psychteach @Jaycey posted a great link in the pre op section today on the thread starting with
Minimally invasive surgery..... it is in the library - hip topics - The surgical Procedure. I read it and looked at the pics and it was very informative; also showed the customer operating table used for anterior. It was weird looking.
 
Anterio-lateral is not the same as direct anterior. Its on the side of the hip. Posterior is from the back and anterior in the front. My OS likes anterio-lateral as he feels it is the most proven for results in the end - but most people having anterior (or Superpath) seem to heel a little faster as the incision is smaller and trauma to internal tissue is less. I am a little over three weeks since my surgery, can walk with a cane or a little by myself, do not have a lot of pain, mostly have regained my energy. Probably biggest difference is that the OS puts more restrictions on movement in the first 3-6 weeks (no bending more than 90 degrees, no twisting or crossing operated leg past midline).
 
That is why I am confused. He said no restrictions at all. Showed me the only move I could not do is push my leg in backward motion like a lunge . He said the incision would be closer to front in between two muscles.it says anterolaterial on his website. Confused. I really wanted anterior as beginning faster recovery is important to me charmed life do you feel your recovery is taking longer? How long is your incision? Where is it exactly?
 
@psychteach I had an anterior right total hip replacement (please forgive me, I'm new to the forum & haven't gotten all the abbreviations down yet.) 6 months ago. I have a small, four inch incision on the front of my right hip. My recovery went extremely well. I just had my 6 month follow up appt. today with my orthopedic surgeon, and aside from waiting in the waiting room for nearly an hour and a half to see the dr. for approximately 20 minutes, all went well. I always get a little thrill when I see an xray of my new hip. Makes me a bit giddy because I feel it was my ticket to a new, pain-free life. :yes!:

I wish you all the best as you prepare for your surgery. Please keep us posted on how you do!
 
Sorry, I forgot to add... Regarding restrictions, @psychteach , I had no restrictions for my anterior RTTHR. In fact, I was up and walking w/ a walker on the day of my surgery and discharged the next day. No physical therapy for me, only instructions to walk for 5 minutes for each hour that I was awake. I threw my walker aside by the end of my first week post-op as I felt it was slowing me down. I used a cane until 3 weeks post-op. I was off pain meds by week 3 and able to drive. Just thought I'd share my experience. Hope that helps.
 
Yes thank you for sharing. I am hoping to have a recovery like that. I really wanted to have an anterior.I like te surgeon but the anterior surgery is what wanted. Should I try to find another doctor who does anteriort seemsthat the stories I hear on here who had quicker recoveries had anterior. I am having a lotof trouble finding out who is a good surgeon and on my insurance. I like the doctor... just not sure about type he performs
 
Hi psychteach! I'll throw in my 2 cents- I really liked my OS, had been seeing him for years even though I was in denial about needing the surgery. When I finally decided it was time, and asked if he did anterior, I was really surprised he did not. He is a sports physician, has worked on lots of local athletes, and is the coach for the Women's Olympic Soccer team. Anyway, I went with him and everything has been great, I do have the restrictions for a few more weeks, but I felt really comfortable with him and didn't want to start looking for a surgeon just to have the anterior approach. After everything I read on this forum, the recovery is ultimately the same, just a little longer for posterior. For the record, my OS did a posterior lateral, so it is really high up on my hip, right on the side, and I have not had much pain at all since surgery. I was just recently able to lay on that side after 6 weeks. I did not have a lot of swelling, I was walking on a walker the next day, went home that day, used walker for a week or two, then cane. Now at 8 weeks everything is great, I am still working on strength, range of motion, and a tilted pelvis, but having NO hip pain is just amazing! I just got home from Hawaii on Monday, and was able to walk and hike all over, I could not have done it pre-surgery.:yahoo:
 
Psychteach, I think you are talking about anterior (or direct anterior) - with that you are told no restrictions and about 4 inch scar - mine is longer - have not measured it though...
 
@psychteach , here's that thread on approaches. But I really would not get hung up on approaches. Recovery is recovery and every one is different. Some may be walking unassisted within weeks. Others may take months. You can't predict how your own body will react. In the end, no matter what approach, it's major surgery.

What is important is do you trust your surgeon. If you have any doubts, discuss them now. If your surgeon does not want to discuss your concerns then yes, find another. Your surgeon will use the prosthesis and approach they are most comfortable with given you own situation. So the only choice you need to worry about is the surgeon.
 
Hi @paulcfc, here are a couple more links for articles for you..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
:)
 
thank you all for all the great info. This site is the best !!! I guess I am confused because I see on his website it says anterolateral hip resplacement..no muscle cut.... He showed me where the incision will be by pointing to the area on my side.... on the side between muscles. He said no muscle cut... and no restrictions, but it is definitely on the side and not in the front as it appears on the article about direct anterior in the library. Can it be possible he is doing some kind of modified lateral... Now even more confused... Side cut, robotics, no muscle cut and no restrictions...what kind of surgery is this???
 
The terms do seem to get confused - and also different doctors have different opinions on restrictions. I don't mind the restrictions as my range of motion was so limited before surgery that I couldn't do many if those things anyway...
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom