Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip Replacement Complete

Love that dream: your brain weaving reality into its own interpretation. Lol. I often wonder if the sleep thing, because of the pain interfering, isn’t just the leftover pattern we got into because we couldn’t sleep well before the surgery. It takes a while to finally be comfortable then a while longer for the sleep to reset. I remember the frustration. “Magical night” became my husband’s and my code for “I slept longer than 2 hours.” It was always fun to state in front of our grown kids. :loll: Anyway, hang in there. We can certainly relate. Give it some more time. There are always some options out there to help if it comes to that. ❤️
 
Sleep is most elusive during recovery and to be frank it is often elusive for me at other times. The second week is sometimes the hardest and I recall the euphoria of having the surgery done was over and somehow I felt less perky and yet not that far in my recovery. It does pass and the patience muscle gets lots of exercise. I, too, stayed on the recliner for the first weeks so I could get up easily and pace or walk around or watch television. My husband would be upstairs in bed so the TV did not bother him. This was fine with me. He had his phone and I had mine if I found I needed him for anything else. I have to admit I like having the time to myself when I do not feel well since my crankiness is contained to myself.

This too will pass so try to nap as much as you can.
 
Yesterday, I used my cane to go out on my patio and water my potted plants. An amaryllis is getting ready to bloom and I don't want to miss it. My plants make me happy, lol.

It is so wonderful it is to be able to go down my TWO steps with out pain. This has not happened in so many years, I'm not exactly sure how long! I was not steady on my feet and I left the door open in case I needed help.

It was only about 10 minutes walking around on my patio and 4 steps total. But, OMGoodness, the hip pain was gone! I was beyond happy, this pain was something I had lived with for so long.

I made myself stay somewhat awake until hubby went to bed last night. I don't know how he slept through me wrankling with the pillow wedge. I was on a mission to conquer the elusive sleep. I couldn't get comfortable and I wouldn't let myself get up. Somehow, 4 hours later I awoke and my body felt great. Back sleeping with the wedge (or pillows) makes so much sense, lol.

I have a long way to go for recovery, and another hip replacement in my future. Suddenly, I can see a future of doing things I enjoy and had to give up.

Hugs and blessings for everyone for a pain free day!
 
Last edited:
It is amazing isn’t it? That was one of the first questions my OS respectfully asked the morning after my surgery. Even then, no hesitation: Yes, that joint pain is gone!! I’m so glad you are appreciating even the simple rewards of this wondrous surgery in giving you back your life. I would think it would make the second one a little easier to face and conquer. Continued blessings for good healing. ❤️
 
It is the best feeling in the world to have that awful pain gone. If I could have, I would have danced for joy. I felt good after surgery but not dancing good. I hope you get some more sleep tonight. :sleeep::sleep:
 
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Glad you got outside...for a hot minute, :heehee:

Yay for some sleep. :yay: I hope tonight is even better.
Suddenly, I can see a future of doing things I enjoy and had to give up.

Such a lovely vision. May it all come true!
 
I went for my 2 week check up yesterday and everything is good. After the knee replacement that just refuses to play nice, I deserve a well behaved hip replacement, lol.

It's kind of depressing listening to some of the patients while waiting for the doc.

The overweight young lady had knee replacement 1 week ago and Wal-Mart would only give her 7 days of Percocet. They had driven almost 4 hours to get to the docs office for another script. She had not had pain medication for 3 days. Why she didn't resolve this over the phone is a mystery to ne.

Her mother came with her (also over weight) was having severe back and hip pain and the other surgeon she was seeing told her she had to lose 20 pounds before he would preform the surgery. She was slowly gaining instead of losing. After 1 year she now needed to lose 30 before the surgeon would preform the surgery.

She said she had talked to 3 docs and none of them would preform the surgery. So, she had heard about the surgeon I was seeing and they were hoping he would preform her surgery.

It's a difficult situation and the population is heavier now causing more joint problems. The lady probably had other medical issues, too.

I really felt sorry for her, I know how painful arthritis is! Hopefully, she's able to get her surgery.
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday! :wave:
Great news all went well at your post op visit yesterday.
Two weeks into recovery already tomorrow. I hope your healing journey progresses nicely without any set backs. Be safe, stay well and have a lovely Memorial weekend!
@KneeHelp
 
I went for my 2 week check up yesterday and everything is good. After the knee replacement that just refuses to play nice, I deserve a well behaved hip replacement, lol.

My knee replacement never played well either until after I had the hip on the same side replaced @KneeHelp. 30 years on a bad knee wore the hip out. I was amazed at how much my knee improved as I recovered from THR, hopefully you will see some improvement as well.
 
Congratulations on having a well behaved hip. Must be the nurturing you are giving it or the talking to and it is listening. Wonderful that all is well at 2wks. Always wonderful to hear from the doctor that all is well.
 
Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
i hope you’re doing well. Please update as time allows, we’d love to hear about your progress.
Have a great week! :)
@KneeHelp
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you’re doing since you last posted several weeks ago?
Hopefully you’re enjoying the Summer and making progress while healing.
Take great care and have a nice week!
@KneeHelp
 
I live in an area that's having a virus resurgence so I have been staying at home. After the aggressive PT with my knee I opted for BS 's gentle recovery guidelines for my hip. It has worked so well for me!!

My 2 months anniversary was July 4th and my hip is recovering much better than I had expected. I have developed the shorter leg syndrome. My surgeon thinks it's from my knee replacement problems. I'm not so sure he's correct, but I trust him as a surgeon. He says he can correct the problem in my other hip surgery on January. It's not a big difference in leg length, so hopefully it will correct itself.

I am able to do so much more than before my hip surgery, it's amazing! I do wish I had hip surgery before my knee replacement.

I am able to do stretching exercises now that are helping my knee that I wasn't able to do before hip replacement. I am careful not to aggravate the old hip. It complains a lot, lol.

At 2 months I can not easily put on my socks, but I am much more flexible so I feel good. Working short spurts in my yard and I cleaned my patio after 2 years of collecting pollen and dust. It is an amazing surgery!

I don't want to go through another surgery, (who does?), but I'm looking forward to January to get passed the hip pain.
 
Last edited:
@KneeHelp the changes after surgery are just amazing, aren't they?! Continue to take it slow as now is prime time when we start to overdo. As time goes by it will be easier to put on your socks. I used to bend my leg back at the knee and put them on that way. Whatever works! :heehee:
 
It's never fun to have to look towards another joint replacement while currently healing, is it?

I don't want to go through another surgery, (who does?), but I'm looking forward to January to get passed the hip pain.
This is so true! to leave that nagging deep arthritic pain behind for good will be so welcome, won't it?

Such good news about now being able to execute your stretches to help improve the knee.. see? Baby steps in the right direction..

Hang in there, I think you are doing very well. :SUNsmile::yes:
 
It is the ability to do the everyday things like cleaning off a patio that sometimes gives the most pleasure. For me it is being able to get on and off the riding lawnmower without pain and not hurting when going over bumps. I like mowing. I also hop off to pick up sticks and move them instead of mowing around and trying to move them with the mower itself. Even grocery shopping is pleasurable and I am not a shopper by nature. Keep enjoying while listening to your body and your hip and healing and just think soon another strong pain free hip is in your future.
 
Hi @KneeHelp
Happy Thursday to you! :wave:
I‘m sorry that your right hip is kind of dampening what sounds like a good recovery.
Wondering if you have a January date for that THR yet? If so, please leave it and we’ll add it to your signature. Wishing you comfort and a continued great progress!
 
Hello @KneeHelp
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all has been well over the past month. Please leave an update if time allows. We’d love to hear how you‘re doing. Enjoy the remainder of the Summer.:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom