THR Hip replacement after hip arthrosocpy

@Layla saw the Physiatrist. He ruled out that the pain was coming from the back. Thinks it is nerve pain from the hernia mesh. Thinks the hip is fine. I thought this was odd and it ticked me off. He told me that my surgeon had text him and told him that I was coming today and wanted him to check to see if the pain was coming from the spine. I asked him if my Surgeon told him I was a head case. He said no, he said that he wanted him to check me out for chronic groin pain in addition to the spine. Thought that was weird. Anyway, the Physiatrist is starting me on 150 mg of lyrica a day to start. We shall see. I am at my whits end at this point.

Did your surgeon tell you he planned to contact the Physiatrist? Isn't your Primary the one who recommended the Physiatrist? I'm going to draw @Jamie from Admin in to look over your thread and see if she has any advice for you.

@Layla No. He just told me to tell him hi because he knew him. Yes, my PCP referred me to the Physiatrist. I liked the Physiatrist a lot. He did not seem to care that the surgeon text him. He treated my professionally and listened as well as answering all my questions. He also did several test to test my back and spine. I liked him a lot. Cannot figure what the reason was why my Surgeon felt the need to text him. Did he maybe realized he was out of line and was genuinely concerned I still had pain. I doubt it.

Hmmm, maybe the OS felt badly after you left? Maybe he contacted the physiatrist to tell him that you have been in pain for quite some time? Or he just wanted to get his 2 cents in before you could? At the very least you feel inferior and that is so wrong. I'm sorry he has made you feel this way.

So, maybe it is a nerve issue. But it could have been handled differently today. The medication will, at least, be a diagnostic tool for you, right?
Most importantly, you have a good rapport with this new Dr.. when will you see him again? I am assuming he wants you to try the Lyrica for at least a month?

I just watched your reply to Layla come in.. you are thinking as I did.. that maybe OS felt that he spoke out of line to you.
Hopefully Jamie has some ideas, too. Good luck @Rdwolfe94 !! Anxious to hear how this goes..

Well you're batting a thousand because you have more people treating you humanely today, rather than with disregard. We're here for you, we're rooting for you, we care. Hopefully we put a smile on your face :) let's see what Jamie has to offer. Check back periodically in case she has questions.

Cannot figure what the reason was why my Surgeon felt the need to text him. Did he maybe realized he was out of line

Fingers crossed he did. He owes you an apology in my opinion.

A peaceful evening to you!

@Layla I agree. @CricketHip. He will see me in two weeks to possible increase the dose or change the medication. I have worked as an Administrator in the prison system for nearly 22 years and was a Parole Office in the worst part of Cleveland early in my career. I have seen some of the worse of human behavior. I have never felt like I did today when seeing my OS. I have never been so angry. I have had to control my emotions and always be calm over my career. I think today was the maddest I have ever been and the closest I have ever come to losing my composure. It is nice to know I could vent on her. Thank you all.

On another note I forgot, the Physiatrist has me going to PT for chronic pubic symphisis which I have osteoarthritis there and chronic groin pain.

I am sorry your doctor is making you feel like a worry wart.
It's hard not to worry especially when you feel there is still discomfort although it isn't uncommon at 3 months out.
He makes me almost want to cancel my appointment with the Physiatrist.

I'm not sure what your daily activity is and exact details of your concerns, but tight hip flexors can cause issues so check out this PT and make sure they are mindful and easy does it folks.
Maybe they can help diagnose your issues and gently get you on to some stretches and helpful strengthening exercises.
Just listen to your body above all else.
You will know what is helpful and what is hurtful.

Last edited:
@Mojo333 I cannot do any activity right now. Just struggling through work each day. They got me a stand up desk which helps as sitting for more than 5 minutes is extremely painful.

Oh boy, The Cleveland Prison system.. wow. That had to be something else. You should write a book! BTW- I am from Southern Ohio and I well remember the riot that went on there in maybe the early 90's?

We aren't as vulnerable as when we are in pain and in front of somebody who doesn't get it. I am glad you were able to keep it together.. I know it must have been so difficult.. :console2:

I like the sound of returning in two weeks, I bet you do, too.
Oh man, arthritis of the pubic symphysis, that is painful! Do you think that is the cause of your groin pain? Just from that I think your physiatrist may be on the right path.
Ok, that is just my opinion, but I had that after a tough childbirth and it's pretty nasty.

Take it a week at a time.. you will handle it okay. Just one day at a time.

@CricketHip I worked at that institution as an Institutional Parole Officer before I was a Field Officer in Cleveland. I am now the Inspector at the institution that was built because of that riot. I see you are from PA. I actually grew up in PA and my career brought me to Ohio after I graduated from an Ohio College. Anyway, not sure what is causing my groin pain. Hoping to find out soon.

We traveled in opposite directions!

Hang in there and try to rest when you can and do things to keep your spirits up. I'm glad you will see the physiatrist again in two weeks. This may be the answer.

I'm sorry again about what happened with your OS.

So, I have a question. I am planning on flying from North Carolina to Pittsburgh on December 27, 2019. This is a one way flight. So here are my questions.

1.) I will be at 20 weeks post op. Am I ok to fly?
2.) Do I need a letter to show the airport security?

Thanks

1.) I will be at 20 weeks post op. Am I ok to fly?
You should be. It will help if you order wheelchair assistance - airports have long corridors.
Here's an article with some useful suggestions about Flying soon after surgery

2.) Do I need a letter to show the airport security?
No. Just tell the people at security that you have an artificial hip before you go through the scanner.
If they're doing their job properly, they won't take any notice of letters or certificates because, unfortunately, those are all too easy to forge.

You'll probably have to be patted down and have the wand run over you, but you won't have to show your scar.

Saw the Physiatrist today. Still having pain today at the 17 weeks mark. He has ordered a CT scan and is going to talk to his more experienced partner to see if an ultrasound would be worth it to show any soft tissue and tendons. Any opinions on this?

Hi @Rdwolfe94
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer other than I hope you soon find the origin of your pain so it can be addressed and you're able to move forward.
Possibly someone will stop by who can relate and has advice.

Safe travels on your flight to North Carolina in three weeks. Hopefully you have answers by then. Wishing you a nice weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom