BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[HIP ARTHROSCOPY] Hip replacement after hip arthrosocpy

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Rdwolfe94, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM.

1. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

United States United States
    On 10/18/18, I had a hip scope. They were not able to access the joint because my sockets were too tight and too deep. They shaved the cam and pincer impingement as well as debridement of the labrum. However, they were not able to access the joint to see how much arthritis I had.

I saw another hip scope surgeon who said to scope it again would be a herculean effort as he would have to reconstruct my labrum which he recommended against at my age (49). He recommended a possible hip replacement. I am leaning that way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also had a hernia surgery with mesh before the hip scope that may also be causing problems. The ultrasound guided hip cortisone shot has given me relief in my hip but still having some issues around the hernia incision.

I am thinking of getting the hip done before having mesh removed as I have tight hip flexor and upper thigh pain that is very painful from just walking the dog, cleaning the house or mowing the grass. Plus the mesh removal requires a lot of walking post op which causes the same hip pain mentioned above. Any input is appreciated.

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Rdwolfe94 I moved your post because you posted in the wrong forum. It was in the Forum Rules and Staff section! It is now in the Hip Recovery Area where it should be!

Don't lean - do it!
    Why are you having the mesh removed? :scratch:

3. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

They thought the mesh may be causing the hip pain. But I do not think so. I think the hip scope was an epic fail.

4. JennyLynne

JennyLynne graduate

My personal experience is that going half way is often a waste of time.
    I had a partial knee replacement and then and to revise to a full replacement two years later.

My hip MRI results showed issues similar to yours. Doctor suggested replacements as fixing the other issues would be temporary.

I didn’t do it right away because of other family conflicts, but when it was time.. I did replacement (yesterday in fact... on BOTH hips). I personally feel it’s better to get it all behind you, once and for all!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

Jennylnne, were you limping prior to your hip replacements. I am not limping and my mri and xrays only show mild degenerative arthritis but I am having pain and tightness from the failed scope and another scope would not make sense

• Like Like x 1
  6. JennyLynne

JennyLynne graduate

Intermittent limping... only on left side though. Getting into a car was terribly painful, as was getting up from sitting if I sat for too long. Also lost flexibility quickly.

It’s a very personal decision to have replacement, but you are in good company here! I wish I could have done it a year ago- waiting too long really impacts quality of life. I think you will know when it’s time!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

I cannot sit for more than 5 minutes without what feels like a tug-o-war in my groin. That is why I am worried I may be having issues with my hernia mesh also. Will they do a THR after a scope if you are not limping and your imagining only shows mild degeneration. I believe I read on here that hip arthroscopy is a one off procedure.

8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Rdwolfe94 Unfortunately we see many members go from having a scope to THR. It's a very tough recovery and doesn't aways work. If your surgeon pushes back on your request to have THR start highlighting the impact to your quality of life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

Is the hip replacement recovery (I would be having anterior approach) easier than my recovery from my hip scope.

10. Jaycey

Many of our members report THR recovery is easier. Certainly less painful. You not longer have that crumbling joint - just a shiny new hip.

11. Rdwolfe94

Rdwolfe94 new member

Would the new hip remove the labrum problem that I still have as my scope was unsuccessful in repairing the labrum.

12. Jaycey

Let's ask our medical expert @Josephine .

13. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

A hip replacement clears out all the soft tissue in the socket of the hip. This image might help you understand

hip replacement.JPG