THR Hip replaced ... HELP !!!<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fuzzie,
Sometimes managing pain is tricky there is a lot of helpful advice on this forum.
Oxy was the best pain med for me and I did not get addicted from each THR. It's important to control the pain for heeling.
Also we need 2200 calories a day required for the body to recover from major surgery. Protein shakes always made me feel better and eating soft foods. Anti inflammatory foods helps I ate no surgery foods, drinks or carbs which cause swelling. Eating & exercising on a regular schedule is important. Supplements are helpful too.Ask your doctor for info and any interactions with current meds your on. Especially nerve support supplements help.
Open communication with your surgeon ask for medication that can help curve the pain better thru the first few weeks. Also a muscle relaxant gel rubbed on sore muscles stay away from incision of course was also helpful.
Icing the incision helps with swelling. Also exercises help with blood flow and oxygen to the surgery site for better faster heeling.
This will pass soon, it's all about a better quality of life. Next week you will feel better and on to another stage of heeling. Just think you will be ready for all the up coming Holidays! Something to look foreword too!
Wishing you the best. :):chillpill:
 
Thank you so much . Pain really bad feel like I am going crazy so maybe complete bed rest today . Appreciate the kind words x


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
HI @Fuzzie. Pain is a lonely thing - but be assured we're all here to support you. Did you contact your GP about reassessing your pain relief? My hospital gave me a contact number to ring if I had any problems - can you call them for advice? Everyone is different when it comes to pain management eg Many people find Tramadol ideal whereas I cannot tolerate it. You mentioned that the hospital had you on "oxy something" - check with them what it was and relay that to your GP? My surgeon's wisest words were "listen to your body", so if you feel like bed rest then do it. Cannot emphasise how important the icing is - it is worth persisting. Have you got ice gel packs? I had 4 so I always had a ready-to-go supply 24/7. Keep in touch :friends:
 
PS - I don't want to lose track of your surgery date. Can you pop it into your signature (like mine below) just to remind us. :console2:
 
Don't worry about spelling or ranting here. This is a tough time. But you'll get there!
 
Sorry about the spelling I am sure and not checking things properly .. I have a 2:1 degree in English and I do know how to spell but I am in pain and grumpy and feeling pretty low .
You did know I was only razzing you? Sorry if it had the opposite effect - that wasn't what I had intended! :cry:
 
So today, 11 days post op, I get up go downstairs, wipe a few surfaces, put dishes away, feed goldfish, use my grabber to shove a few clothes in the washer then feel really tired and in pain and toddle off back to bed for the afternoon. Is that acceptable at this stage? I fell asleep for two hours and read, dozed the rest ...
 
It is normal and you're not being lazy. At 11 days post op I have been mostly in bed, not doing any kind of chores. You're dojng wonderful, energy will come back as well as your strength. I'm at almost 8 weeks post op and still feel tired after a short while. Hang in there :)
 
Nah. You are recuperating from major surgery. THR means a lot of messing around with your bone & tissue, not to mention anesthesis etc. . Being tired, feeling worn out, lacking motivation to move out being active is 100% OK not 2wks past OP. Get as much rest as you feel necessary - think about activity when you feel bored or able enough to move around.
 
@Fuzzie you may notice I merged your new thread about being lazy to your existing recovery thread. Please keep all your recovery questions and updates here so that we have your whole history and can advise you.

As others have already said, no you are not being lazy - you are recovering from major surgery. And BTW - at only 11 days out you are doing way too much. No wonder you are tired!
 
What's acceptable is what feels right to you. After my first THR, my husband compared me to a small kitten or puppy - any energy expenditure, no matter how small, left me needing a nap. For the first weeks, I spent most of my day sitting with my feet up on the sofa bed, only getting up to go to the bathroom or for a snack (someone else made it!)
Embrace laziness! You need rest to recover so lounge about, watch daytime TV and nap as much as you need!
 
Did you read the recovery articles left for you earlier? Specially this one Activity progression for THRs.

I think you'll find it recommends this at week 2

Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5-10 minutes but don't a) get into too much pain and b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.

Activity: do some tidying up, a little bit of meal prep and maybe some washing up so long as someone else dries and puts it away!

Nothing about dusting or doing laundry!
 
Staples out today. A little post to cheer you all up. Nurse very gentle but did hurt a bit so I shoved Roald Dahl short stories in my mouth to bite down on - sorry Roald.

Then the nurse shows me the little staples that look just like office staples.
Would you like to keep them?
Excuse me?
Because some people make jewellery out of them you know?
Never!
Oh yes .. And other parts - someone made a gall stone necklace ...

Who do you think we are ... The Adams family??
Exit nurse chortling away....
 
@Fuzzie I was dreading having staples as I'd heard that having them out hurt, plus I just didn't like the idea of someone stapling my flesh!! I had mentioned that briefly to the OS on my first visit with him and he did say he usually uses staples. Anyway I didn't give it another thought until the nurse changed the dressing last Saturday and said "Oh, you don't have staples!" So I guess the OS really does listen and pays heed to his patients' wishes! I'm very lucky to have found such an amazing surgeon. I'll finally get to see the incision on Friday when I have my 2 week check-up.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I was afraid to be stapled too!!! I had stiches with super glue on them!!
 
I didn't have a choice as my surgeon's usual method was a subcuticular stitch topped with Steristrips and I react badly to that kind of adhesive! But the whole point of staples is that if they are removed correctly, they don't hurt - not even a little bit! Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

Then the nurse shows me the little staples that look just like office staples.
Would you like to keep them?
My only response to that would be
[Bonesmart.org] Hip replaced ... HELP !!!<
 
@Fuzzie you will notice I merged your thread about staple removal with this thread. Please keep all your recovery questions and updates on this thread so that we can review your history if we need to advise you. Thanks!
 
hi
Now 17 days in .. Cannot believe it's been this long I have lost a week somewhere . Pain Defo reduced by 50 % now and getting in and out if chairs much easier . Cannot stand for long without support so using Zimmer and crutches . Feeling very unmotivated to do anything but watch boxed sets of Game thrones! Very hard for someone who was always on the go rushing round but perhaps that's how I wore my hip out ! Managing to shower and dress but use a grabber to put on my knickers which is hysterical and the air is blue ! Cooking very simple meals for myself and hubby doing the rest . Poor dog doesn't seem to understand and sits there glaring at me ! Physio tomorrow ... Hope all fellow hipsters doing ok xxx
 
Morning @Fuzzie, I'm giving you a warm hug right now. 2weeks in your journey you're doing more than I did. Cooking wasn't on my radar at that point. Before my husband passed (3yrs ago) I worked full time then went to his auto body shop to help. I did all the errands, house chores and cooking. If I didn't start putting dinner together soon home, he would say "on my own?". He was my sweet man. Anyway I say all that because before, I was one to just get up and do it. Didn't matter what it was, I would help. It's frustrating to sit and watch others taking care of what I feel is MINE to do. Take it easy on yourself, no worries you'll get your "get it done" stuff back without the ball & chain. That's been replaced with new parts. Enjoy the season of autumn, conversation with family and friends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom