THR Hip Number 2

:wave:@Caison113
So good to read you are doing so well:happydance:
Went away this weekend with lots of walking and my wife said some words to me that I hadn't heard in years: "Slow down! I can't keep up!"
Same thing with my husband and I, and now with all the folks at work...:) :-) (:
 
This is so funny to me! I'm the faster walker and when my hip was deteriorating, my husband would walk further and further ahead of me and then when he realized it he would look back at me with the most confused look on his face.. :snork:
But soon I was back to my quick steps.
 
It's so encouraging and exciting to read your posts - you have such a positive and calm approach to rehab and your confidence is contagious. I'm sure that IT band will figure itself out with more time. Love hearing about all the walking you're doing. I've always been a slow walker so I have no illusions about someday outpacing my wife (who is short and has spent her life walking fast to stay caught up), but I did manage to lap somebody at the walking track the other day, so, yeah!

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more of your progress!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and having a good Spring so far.
All the best as you continue the journey. :wave:
@Caison113
 
Thank you @Layla! Hard to believe it’s been 3 months, but then again, it has been quite the journey. Probably my last update on the hip since there isn’t a whole lot to describe. My mobility is soooo much better than it was over the past probably 6-7 years. I really notice it when I work out and am squatting or in kickboxing with my knees and kicks. While no one will confuse me with a yogi, my range of motion continues to improve and the overall lack of pain in everyday activities never gets old. I even did a 5k walk last weekend for charity and had no issues. My IT band is still moderately painful (not consistently), but I continue to work on it. Certainly better than it was the first month.

I have my next follow-up with my surgeon in about 3 weeks so that will be the final evolution in my journey. Hopefully all looks good, but from a feeling perspective, I have no complaints. Thanks again for all the support on this site. It’s really the best source of good information on these issues. I tell everyone who is considering a knee or hip replacement to visit.
 
I’m recovering from hip #2. Love this update. It makes me hopeful and excited about the future. Thanks for stopping in with your inspiring story! I also like that you have reasonable expectations about where you should be 3 months out.
 
Thanks again for all the support on this site. It’s really the best source of good information on these issues. I tell everyone who is considering a knee or hip replacement to visit.
We appreciate you and your contributions here. Thank you! I hope you'll stop back periodically to let us know how you're doing. Best Wishes for your appointment in three weeks. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @MissFanny! I know you are only a few weeks into #2, but I hope it keeps going well for you. I definitely had differences between the two recoveries which annoyed me for a while, but then as long as I was seeing progress, I stopped comparing the two.

@Layla - I will definitely stick around to try to pay it forward for all the advice I’ve gotten over the past two years. Really helped with my mental space as I progressed through the process.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope your appt went well.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Caison113
 
Thank you so much @Layla! The appointment was pretty uneventful (thankfully). He said basically after 4 months he doesn’t have any restrictions for me other than high-risk activities. I have really been enjoying my increased range of motion. Just a couple nights ago, I had to help an older person up from a fall and I was just able to squat on down and lift them up! I could not have done that prior to this operation.

Getting ready to go on a trip which will involve lots of walking and hiking, and I feel completely energized and ready for it (rather than making excuses or dreading the walks).
 
Caison, that is encouraging- waiting and working to get where you are.
 
Okay, fun update time. Two weeks ago my wife and I left for a two-week vacation to Australia and Korea -- about 4.5 months out from my right hip replacement. This was purposely timed with the hopeful outlook that I would be recovered enough to handle all the walking that was in our itinerary. I am happy to say that the hip passed all challenges with flying colors! While not every day was full of walking, most were (averaging around 20k steps, with the peak being about 27k!) and I never even had a twinge of pain. In fact, I was back to my wife asking me to slow down once in a while.

Plus, imagine a 16-hour plane ride with an arthritic hip -- no thank you! I cringed just typing that. But with the new joints, there were literally no issues. And Korea is not known for being kind to taller people, especially those who have trouble getting low, but again, I had no problems with the low furniture or sitting on the occasional floor.

Anyway, I was so happy to just be able to enjoy an adventure without the existential dread of all the accommodations and excuses I would have to make for my balky hip. I really am thankful to my doctor and this forum for getting me through my two replacements and letting me enjoy life again.
 
So awesome! :egypdance:
Glad all went well, you made new memories to reflect on and you’re safely back home. All good news! Thanks for sharing your uplifting message.
@Caison113
 
:wave:
Happy to know you are enjoying your life without that horrid hip pain.
I'm still very thankful for my new lease on life, also:egypdance:
 
Well, I just recently passed my one-year anniversary of hip #2 and checking in to give a brief update for those who might be interested.

To recap: I got my first hip done in late 2021 (having just turned 50) due to persistent and worsening osteoarthritis, with the understanding that my second one would be not too far off in the future. The first hip recovered very nicely and I was back at my usual activities (kickboxing, tennis, hiking) with renewed vigor, yet not fully performing due to the other hip still having issues, albeit less severe than the first. I worked my through most of 2022 ok, but then the other hip began to really bother me, to the point in the last few months, it hurt to sleep. So scheduled hip #2 which was replaced early Feb of 2023.

I chronicled my recovery pretty extensively for this hip and I’m glad I did. “Fun” trip down memory lane which makes me even more appreciative of where I’ve been and how far I’ve come. A year later and my life, from a pain and mobility point-of-view, is better than it’s been in a long time. All the things I had issues doing with bad hips (sitting, standing, walking, running, sleeping … ) are gone. I’ve regained a significant amount of flexibility and am able to perform my hobbies so much more effectively and without the jolts of sudden pain that would randomly occur, or the aches that would follow.

I know not all surgeries go well, and that there’s no guarantee for future incidents, but these procedures really enhanced my life and made me a happier person. I still smile sometimes when I squat down to pick something up or take two stairs at a time (something I hadn’t done in a few years). It’s the little things…

Thanks again to this community for its amazing trove of information and inspiration. It was a great help to me leading up to and following the surgeries.
 
@Caison113 Thanks for the update! It is wonderful to hear you are doing well and enjoying your pain-free hips!
 
What a wonderful update! I am happy for you that you're doing so well. Thanks for taking the time to share your progress, it will be an inspiration to many following behind you!
@Caison113
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom