THR Hip, Hip, Hooray! There is joy in every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love your little dog. What a sweetie. I just got home and will take a nap then I will come back and do some writting. Very tired, My kids are settling down and need a nap too. Talk to you late. Now that I am home I can have my computer in a place that I can get to it easier. Also might have supper also then I will get on the computer and get to writing. Until then hug that dog. Take care. Tashia
 
Greetings! Today is my 3 week birthday and I am doing fairly well. I can walk in the house without a cane, but do have to watch my form ( no limping! ). I have started real PT and was glad that I only have to do 2 sessions per week instead of 3. My PT says that everyone should do their pre op hip exercises and if they don't have any should get a PT to prescribe some for them. My least favorite exercise is hanging on to the mantle and then stair stepping up to the hearth 10 times each side. I also don't care for the straight leg leg lifts. However, I remain optimistic (@DrToonz) and dutifully perform my exercises before work. My husband says I will get what I put into them and then in the next breath forbids me to overdo. My first two days at work were very tiring, but I did better today with making sure I walked some instead of just sitting at a desk. First week of work was 3 days at 5 hours each.

The recovery process remains slow, steady and successful. I am so happy!

Wishing all my Bonesmart friends a wonderful weekend filled with joy, strength and renewal!
 
Time does fly doesn't it? I also doing more walking but with the walker. I pushed the first time and got into trouble for me so I am going slow. I went shopping yesterday and did lots of walking. I think it was a little too much. Back to work so soon. Wow that is great. Take care and make sure you rest. I will be glad to get off the medication so I can start driving. Its my left so that is good. I hope that you can do some rest this weekend so you can be ready for work. Take care, Tashia
 
@Healthyhip12 . Honestly, I can't believe you are back at work already. That must be so hard after three weeks. I am now six weeks post-op and will go back to work on Monday. I know I am ready, but you, after three weeks? Kind of crazy. Maybe you did not have a choice? Thank God for our emergency savings, because I did not have nearly enough sick leave to cover my absence from work. I have been going without pay now for six weeks I think. Oh well, I decided not to worry about it. My health is more important than a paycheck and we can always tighten our belts.
To think how many people are out there with bad joints who don't have insurance, or can't afford joint replacement and the accompanying time off to recover... all of us on bonesmart are fortunate, even if we have to make sacrifices.
 
Yesterday was 4 weeks since surgery and all is well. I am wearing an UP band and find I do best if I limit my walking to 0.5 miles daily. If i do more than that I have leg pain and exhaustion. I am cane free and my limp is gone. My insurance company decided I only needed 6 visits of PT, so after two weeks of 2 visits per week I will be cutting back to once per week for 2 weeks and then be done. I do my "homework" daily which consists of hip and leg strengthening exercises with 5 pound weights. People say that I look like I have lost weight, however, since I am pear shaped what is really happening is that all these exercises are getting me in better shape than I have been in years. Yay! I am back to work and have been able to work up to 7 hours in one day although sometimes I just go in for 3 hours. Oh yes, and I am able to drive again.

So, the slow and steady healing process continues. The biggest challenge is not overdoing! I am resting this weekend. As Josephine says...hips will pretty much heal themselves.
 
Good morning Bonesmarties! Yesterday marked my seventh week post op and seventh wedding anniversary! I must say that weeks five and six of recovery were the worst! I overdid it one Sunday afternoon and woke up with severe hip pain the next morning requiring the return of a cane to get around. I learned the hard way that cleaning my closet despite not bending over is too much for a new hip!

My insurance company would only allow six visits for physical therapy, so I was adamant to get the most out of them. I did 3 sets of my exercises daily and managed to sprain my knee doing so. Oh my. Yep, those knee extensions with 5 pound weights are not for me! My therapist was sure that knee surgery was in my future because of all the noise my knees made when I would bend them. So when I went to visit my OS for my six week checkup I had him X-ray my knee. He assured me that I am fine (2 operations down, 0 to go!). He says, in general, knees are noisy and then proceeded to demonstrate how he could make his knee pop. The knee strain was cured with REST and ICE I also had to turn down some social invitations and just stay home and read. It is weird that people assume that just because I am no longer walking with a cane that I am ready for shopping marathons and movies (sitting for long periods is not easy either)

I am now doing very well. I can take Alexus for a 2 lap walk (1.8 miles). I avoid leg extension with weights. My OS said the best exercise is to do straight leg lifts in a recliner or bed so to not put too much stress on the knee. I am back to working my 30 hour weeks and am cane free. Spring has sprung and it's time for new beginnings.

Wishing you all a lovely day. Take the advice of a pro and go slow!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hip, Hip, Hooray!  There is joy in every day!
@Healthyhip12, for a great report! Too bad we have to learn the hard way about what overdoing it will bring on. So happy that you're past that and doing well. Keep up the good work!

Take care, we care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom