THR Hip, Hip, Hooray! There is joy in every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Healthyhip12 , I love your outlook/attitude...whatever you'd call it. You sound spunky. And this is a repeat performance for you. First one 2012 and now again on the other side. I have been wondering about my left hip, the 'good' one. Hmmm, yesterday I went on a three mile walk [RTHR Feb. 4th, 2014]. I had not discomfort on my right side towards the end of that walk, but my left side was talking to me. I was thinking 'please left hip, don't start having problems now'. Well, I am going to have to wait and see. I seem to remember that another OS in 2007 told me that I have very mild hip displasia [sp?] on both sides. Which makes me wonder about both your hips getting replaced within two years. Of course I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I don't think I would have as much anxiety a second time around.
 
Good for you @Healthyhip12, sounds like you are doing so well. There is no place like home. Keep up the great attitude!
 
Hello @Briggieride! My left hip started talking to me about 4 weeks post op RTHP. Then, six weeks post op, my OS asked when I would be ready to do it. I had never had pain in my left hip. The answer from both of my doctors was that I probably did have pain in my left hip, but didn't notice it because of the intense pain in the right hip. I went into total denial and refused to even consider it. It did get progressively worse and I finally broke down in October 2013 and asked my OS if he could fix it. He agreed I needed a matching set. I started using a cane and then gave my boss plenty of notice and finally got it done on Friday. I waited too long. By the time I made it to surgery my range of motion was extremely limited and pain got much worse. Lots of people have hips done one right after the other. By the time I got around to having my second, my first was completely healed and was great incentive to have the other one done. This second one is a lot easier. The medical assistant at the doctor's office said that typically one hip always does better than the other.
 
@Healthyhip12 Thank you so much for that. Gives me something to ponder: has my left hip been acting up? Well, it had a few weeks [2] before my surgery. I blamed that on putting all my weight on it though. In any case, I'll try not to worry about it until it outright yells at me. [There is no point to worrying.] So far it has not done that except before my surgery.Thanks again. Have a great recovery.
 
Hi Catherine

Home sweet home bet you can't wait mind take things easy and do things in small doses, ice packs at the ready.

Billy
 
Although I did a great job walking and moving about, I did not do so well in the hemoglobin department. Woke up with a hemoglobin of 7.5 and blood pressure of 88/33. A little dizzy. So before I could go home I had to have a unit of blood which took about 2 hours. But finally got to walk out to the car and head home. We stopped for Chinese on the way home. Snoozed all the way home after that. I am now kicked back in the recliner, ice bag in place, so happy to have escaped the hospital drama. All is well.
 
@Healthyhip12 . Now spend a lot of time sleeping whenever you feel like it. Don't put pressure on yourself at all. Just sleep and rest and let others do for you. After one week you'll feel much better, although in my case, I thoroughly kind of enjoyed the 'sleeping whenever' and everything I mentioned above. Don't undermedicate. Be by the clock about that until you forget about the clock. I wish you an uneventful and quick recovery.:)
 
So for my last hip surgery I wore out a favorite Chico's shirt. This time I got a shirt that I can wear day in and day out, to therapy and around the block. Here I am with Patti who is teaching me crutch walking on stairs.
[Bonesmart.org] Hip, Hip, Hooray!  There is joy in every day!
 
Nice pic! Glad you are doing so well! You did it! All done!
 
Great picture! Looks like you are ready to go home healthyhip12
I wish they did anterior approach here in our town.
 
@Healthyhip12 So glad to see you are doing well. I am one week ahead of you. Had my right hip replaced on the 21st and am doing well. Unfortunately need the left hip done too. Planning for April. The first few days were the worst, now I frequently forget to take my pain meds. I am so happy I had this done! You look great! :dancy:
 
Thanks everyone! Since my return home I would say that 80% of my time has been spent sleeping. In an attempt to reschedule my pain pills so that I would take them right before bed, I went 7 hours between doses and hurt excessively. Now I am back to alternating Tylenol and prescription pain pills. Medicating by the clock is the only way to go! Not much to report as I am in sleeper mode with short laps around the house on crutches and very easy post op hip exercises (think ankle pumps and leg slides). Oh, and today I will shower! Hope that everyone has an excellent day!
 
Glad to hear that you are back home and sleeping a lot. Here is what I did in regards to taking my pain meds by the clock: set the alarm on the cell phone by my bedside. I had my meds and a glass of water right there on my nightstand. That worked great. Over time I decided to turn the alarm off and let pain be my guide. This was during the night when I really did not want to interrupt my sleep with pain. So I was proactive. Now, almost four weeks post op I only take one Tylenol when I need it. Usually at night. During the day the little pain that I have occasionally [1-2 on a scale of 1-10] I don't need meds.
But whom am I telling this? This is your second time around and you know what to do anyway.
I wish you another great recovery.
 
Wonderful, encouraging report, @Healthyhip12 !! Your body needs the rest so indulge in all the healing sleep you can get. And thank you for sharing your experience as it's so helpful to us preop people!
 
Zzzzzzzzzzzz.....zzzzzzzzzzzz..

Hello fellow Bone Smarties! I have been able to sleep on my non operative side using king size pillow between my legs. Then I sleep attempting to watch TV with my legs fully elevated on my Temperapedic bed. Then I sleep in my recliner. And, as always, I sleep with ice in place. My sister sent me an Up which is a high tech bracelet you wear on your wrist which measures your steps and sleep. It has been vibrating hourly to remind me to get up and walk a few laps and do some exercises. I am doing so well this time that my husband asked if I would like to go shopping with him. I declined stating that I felt I need to take it easy until week 2 which will be this Friday. (After my first surgery I would practice walking by following a shopping cart around a store). I have invested in a long handled shoe horn. My blood pressure has returned to normal and I am back on my blood pressure medication. I continue to take scheduled pain medication. Tried lowering the dose yesterday, but was unsuccessful. Way too soon, I'm sure. Well, that's all for my update. Time for a lap and a nap.
 
Psst--

Where did you have your surgery? I am at a Portland Metro hospital, and am doing pretty okay! I am so delighted that you're doing as well as you are! Take care! Benadryl in my IV is making me noe off. Hello, my fellow Oregon friend.,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom