Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip hip hooray - Jane's new hip story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your recovery thread it's great to hear how it's going from someone following behind. I thought I gone menopausal and started having night sweats but it looks like a common side effect. X
It's hard with no real PT input.
 
Jane,
Sounds like your recovery is coming along nicely. Good for you! I look forward to reading more of your journey.
Keep up the good work!
 
4 and a half weeks on...

I went back to see the OS yesterday (not sure why it was at 4.5 weeks - I thought most people see them at 6 weeks?). It was all good news. He showed me my before and after x rays and my nice new hardware looks nice and neat! He will email me the x rays so I will share when I get them.

He pretty much said I can stop with all of the restrictions now which I was surprised by as before the operation he was talking about restrictions for 12 weeks. He did say that the operation went very well and that my new hip looks more like a straightforward replacement rather than a hip with dysplasia so maybe that is why he is so relaxed now. He even said that that he would eat his hat if my hip was to displace but I don't want him to have to do that so I think I will still be careful!

At the moment I can't actually break the 90 degree restriction anyway. I tried to get my sock on this morning but I can't quite reach yet but I guess that this will come in time. At least I am rid of the TEDs so I can get showered and dressed by myself - yay! I've kind of got used to getting up early with my OH anyway so I don't think I'll be having any long lie ins. No point in getting too used to it as I will be going back to work eventually!

I can also sleep on my side (either side) with a pillow between my legs. It's not all that comfortable on my side but it does mean that I can get onto my tummy which is my preferred way of sleeping which is great. I've not had huge issues with sleeping but it's nice to be able to change position.

I am cleared to drive so I'll have a go at the weekend in OH's automatic and give it a few more weeks until I try in my manual car. I have a convertible but the weather here in the UK is miserable so not a lot of opportunity for driving around with the roof down.

I now have both crutches and sticks for walking with. I feel most comfortable with one crutch, the sticks still feel a bit wobbly. I really need to build up the strength in my operated leg as I still can't really stand on one leg without support. It's odd how the strength has completely disappeared - I was still riding my bike and going to the gym right before the operation and thought that I was pretty strong but it's all just gone! I'm sure it will come back with time and a bit of effort.

Also established yesterday that I can walk as far as the gym now. Yesterday I just had a drink and a cake in the cafe and then walked back but next week I can try actually doing something when I'm there - at least maybe a little sit in the bubble pool which would be good.

Sorry for the long post - hope everyone else is doing well

Jane
 
Hi Jane,

I loved your long post!! It made for very interesting reading. Congratulations on your progress and your early mark at 4.5 weeks from the OS. Very nice surprise for you. I am sure that it wont be too long before that leg strength starts to rebuild. Just needs some consistent effort from you.

I would be interested to hear how you gym session goes next time.

Well done!!

Mike
 
Hi Jane

I too loved your newsy update, especially the bit about the drink and cake.. But then again I actually liked the whole update.

You are progressing very well, isn't it nice to get that first post op appointment behind you and to have the reassurance that all is well. Great to read that your OS considers yours a classic text book THR.. Fantastic :)

Good luck at the gym.
 
Well six and a bit weeks on and still doing well, apart from a stinking cold which is making me feel a bit miserable and wiped out.

We went to stay at a friend's house at the weekend for a bonfire party which was really good. No problem with sitting in the car for three hours. Felt exhausted when we got back but I think it was the start of this cold rather than anything to do with the hip.

Physio on Friday (which I drove to myself!) was good and I've been referred to the post op Pilates classes that they do at the hospital. It seems it won't be covered by insurance but it's £48 for six sessions and I think it will be much better than the classes at the gym as it is a qualified physio that takes it and the class sizes are really small.

I did go to the gym last week and found it wasn't all that comfortable to use the machines yet so I just did a some upper body weight stuff instead. Maybe need to try again when I shake off the cold.

I have been enjoying my little walks. I have downloaded an app to my phone called map my walk which uses GPS to track your walk which us great as I can find exactly how far I have gone and how fast I have walked. Great way to track improvements!

Keep having twinges of guilt when I read on here how fast people have gone back to work but I have been signed off for twelve weeks. I've never really had any other time off so I may as well take the opportunity to get better properly. Might join a team meeting via phone tomorrow to catch up with the gossip though!

Hope everyone else is doing well

Jane
 
Hi Jane, great update!

Don't feel guilty about taking the 12 weeks off, you are being very sensible and it will make such a difference to your recovery and ultimately to your return to work :)

Keep an eye on that cold, go see your Dr if you are concerned, temp, sore throat, coughing up yellow/green.. You may need a course of antibiotics :)

The Pilates ourse sounds perfect especially being run by a PT..
 
Hi Jane,

I have enjoyed reading your updates and whilst I have no medical expertise your x-rays look very similar to mine. You mentioned feeling guilty about having 12 weeks off work compared with people who return early. Well, can I say, as someone who returned to work after 4 weeks that you should not feel guilty. You have a great opportunity heal more completely than we did. Use it wisely and enjoy your rest. I am sure you deserve it!!

Cheers

Mike
 
Seven and a half weeks now and I am getting a bit worried that I still need to use one stick or crutch to be able to walk without a limp. With the crutch I can go a long way - walked all the way around the walls in Chester (over 3 miles) in just over an hour on Monday. Should I be doing something specific to get rid of the stick? When I walk without it, I have to sway to one side to compensate for the weak leg. I'm still doing the physio exercises which are now getting easier ans easier. Any ideas or should I just be patient and wait for it to come?

Thanks

Jane
 
Hi Jane

The important aspect when one is limping is not to throw away your walking aid. This is because if you go without it as you say you will start to sway and that is not good for your gait.

Stick with the aid is my advice :) your body will let you know when it is the right time to come off it.

I stayed with my walker right up to 10 weeks, because I had dreadful mobility pre surgery. My OS said that getting one's gait right post surgery is the most important aspect to recovery.

Have you thought about using the Nordic Walking poles, I wrote an article on the topic, it is in the social room, hopefully this is the link..

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nordic-walking-poppet-walks-the-talk.16606/

Patience, yes, we have to have an abundance of it with our recoveries, you are doing very well.. I am from Australia, but have walked around Chester walls on one of our trips to the UK.. That is some walk - good for you :)
 
10 weeks on...

Thought I was going pretty well apart from still needing my stick due to a slight limp when I walk without it. I have been doing yoga, Pilates, aqua aerobics and lots of walking and also a lot of rest as well! Yesterday I went to Pilates and it feels as if I have pulled a muscle on the side of my leg, just below the incision. I bought walking poles last week and we went to the forest today to test them out but I found it really painful to walk. Also my wrist was really sore - I think this is from using my stick which is difficult to hold when wearing gloves.

Feel a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to walk as well as I'd hoped. I assume the advice will be to rest up until it feels better? I guess I shouldn't feel too bad as this is my first real set back, I thought I was being soon patient but obviously not quite enough!

Jane
 
I have had Arthritis in my knee for about 15 years. I was getting so much pain that did not sleep at all some days. I had the cartilage taken out 2 years ago and at the clinic the surgeon said he thought it was not so much my knee but my hip. After looking at the xray he said that my hip was crumbling and I should consider having it replaced. Well it took a long time to consider and I had it done on 7th November. What a revelation!!. I am in no pain whatsoever even in my knee. After three and a half weeks I do have a dull ache in my hip and I on partial weight bearing crutches for a couple of weeks and then full weight bearing for six. But onwards and upwards. The mobility can be worked on. As long as I am sensible and don't try to do things to quickly I am sure I will be fine. I have slept more hours since the op than I have done in the past six months. The only problem I did have was, I nearly didn't have it done because my blood pressure went sky-high on the day of the op. I don't suffer with blood pressure normally so I ended up with an epidural anaesthetic. I really didn't want one but I wasn't going home again without having the op. I was offered sedation which I accepted and apart from it being like I was in my dad's shed, with all the sawing and drilling it was ok. Would opt for one again if needed in the future.
 
Hi Jane, I've been enjoying your posts this morning as you are just a few days ahead of me, and it seems most of the September hippies have stopped posting, probably gone back to work. You're fortunate to have 12 weeks off, and I am retired, thank goodness. You are very active! I'm impressed with your Pilates and your walking 3 miles an hour with a crutch.

I've been getting back into kayaking, bike riding, working out at the Y, and walking (the one thing I really couldn't do much at all prior to surgery.) I tend to overdo it, have a rough day once in a while, then take a lazy day with heat/cold/rest etc. and then back at it.

I think we're both doing pretty darn well:SUNsmile: I've been using one trekking pole for my hiking, but I don't travel nearly as fast as you, partly because I take a lot of pictures.

I'm betting your pulled muscle recovers quickly---please keep us posted.
 
I am a bit worried and looking to all you lovely people for some advice. I am 10 and a half weeks out and was doing really well until last Friday. I went to Pilates as normal. The one excercise that I struggle with is the clam shell with leg extension. I find the leg extension really difficult. I tried really hard and managed about five which I was really pleased with but later on on Friday my operated leg started to hurt and I thought that I had maybe pulled a muscle.

We went out for a walk on Saturday and I was really struggling - sharp pains in my operated leg when I strode out a but too much. I rested completly in Sunday and then yesterday and today we have been away for husband's birthday but I've not done a lot of walking and no excercise at all.

I've just been reading stuff on the Internet (bad idea, I know!) and found a description of symptoms of a fracture of a dull ache with sharp stabbing pains when walking which I kind of have. Could I have managed to fracture my femur or is it more likely to be an overworked muscle?

Thanks in advance!

Jane
 
Jane, I doubt that you have fractured your femur. You have just plain overdone and the hip is making you pay big time for it. You need several days of rest, elevating, and icing. And STOP with any exercise that is difficult to perform---it means your body is NOT ready for it. But since I am not a medical expert by any means, I am going to tag Josephine for you to weight in on the problem.
 
Yes, it is a bad idea! Rebelling muscles can be excruciating and you need more than a couple of day's rest to calm them down. Next time, remember NOT to do exercises to that extreme.

Now I would like you to tell me where abouts this pain is using this grid. Just say 'back' if it's at the back. then I can give you some advice. In the meant time, take some pain meds and use ice or heat to the affected area.

[Bonesmart.org] Hip hip hooray - Jane's new hip story!
 
Thanks for your help. The stabbing pain is on the outside of my thigh in square L1 3. The dull ache is more in the groin area, L2 2, deep inside. I have my feet up and ice on it right now and I'm back on the painkiller regime with paracetamol and diclofenec.
 
Janey there are many people here at BS that experience a bit of pain after they get into
a more vigorous exercise routine as those muscles that have been stretched, tugged,
and ignored are now being asked to wake up and be strong! I'm sure you can read thru
the recovery threads and find a lot of people having similar issues, and the answer is always
relax, rest a bit, and try again as you heal.
looking at your xray, it looks as if you might have the same femoral implant as I got,
did your dr elaborate on what make/model? mine told me depuy, but i didn't catch the
model, but it looks similar to yours. (maybe the Corail model ?)
also, do you feel like your legs are similar in length? if you are laying out straight,
are you ankles in close proximity? just wondering if that is contributing to a limp...
keep up the good work
:)
 
11 and a half weeks now...

Went to Pilates on Friday and explained to the physio the problems that I'd been having and she agrees that I have probably just overdone it slightly. She said it was likely to take a couple of weeks to get properly better.

So I've laid off all the excercise and I'm just pottering around the house. If I go out anywhere I'm still taking my crutch or stick (depending if I need to wear gloves - holding the stick is a pain with gloves on!)

I went back to see the consultant last night and he seemed very pleased with my progress, despite me still needing the stick. No X-rays - not had any since the day of the operation but he said he didn't think it was necessary. No real extra things that I can do now and I need to go back in March for a six month follow up. I thought he would be disappointed that I'm still using the stick (I am!) but maybe I need to reign in my expectations a bit.

I'm back to work on Friday. I've really enjoyed the time off and I don't really know how I will find time to fit work in! Friday is just the Christmas party and then next week will be quiet so hopefully I won't be too wiped out. Back to it properly on the 2nd January, both work and gym and see if I can get a bit of fitness back before the spring!

Hope everyone else is doing well

Jane
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom