Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip but no plan for replacement

PT, if you've got advanced arthritis, can--at best--delay the inevitable. I realize you haven't been diagnosed yet. PT is best early on. You could take a steroid shot. But those don't work for some people and how long they last also varies person to person. Sometimes they provide relief for a week or a month ... or sometimes no relief.

Sometimes hip flexor exercises and glute exercises can help but only to a limited degree. Basically people go to PT beforehand because they aren't ready for surgery. They typically end up in surgery. There are communities of athletes and dancers online, and people go for acupressure, acupuncture, massage, Pt, all kinds of remedies ... and then ... end up having a replacement. I'm not pooh-pooing the search for alternative remedies. Part of making peace with surgery is feeling like there is no alternative and some people have to explore those alternatives before agreeing to surgery.

If you're really determined to avoid surgery, ask your surgeon (when you meet) about a course of PT. And yes, hips can deteriorate over night. If you read on this board, there are all kinds of people who experience major increase in pain just between their scheduling of the surgery and the surgical date months later.
 
Depending on how your x-ray looks, physio may or may not be effective. My hips are both bone on bone so physio didn't help, but a new hip on the right side took care of the pain. Good luck with your choice of options.
 
Is it possible for oneself to recognise/ self diagnose ‘bone on bone situation’
If you feel a grinding in the joint it's bone on bone. My left hip was very bad by the time I saw a surgeon. It felt like gears ratcheting every time I moved.
 
The only way you can confirm is an x-ray. Why don't you have your GP refer you for one? That way you will have a baseline to be able to compare in the future.
 
JohnWilkey....Well good question. Bone on bone pain is extremely painful. Generally the pain is located the crotch area on the side of the hip with osteoarthritis. Please see xrays showing bone on bone, showing damage to the joint from this disease... before and after surgery .

The natural cushion between the ball joint has eroded away from wear causing pain while walking , sitting, sleeping. The pain in most case is relentless so severe that it has effected your quality of life. Many seek doctors appt. usually xrays which show damage to the joint area causing pain. This is usually osteoarthritis a progressive disease. Most seek a doctor when it’s time to take control of the pain . It effects every day life and compromises your ability to do normal daily tasks and severe risks of falling as the joint becomes unstable.

The key to THR surgery is not to put off the surgery to long which could cause many complications and effect the outcome of surgery.

Have you seen your doctor or had a diagnosis ?
 
In my case when it was bone on bone it was like someone jabbed a needle in my hip joint charged with electricity!
 
7 days no result from x Ray yet, worryingly my local hospital has been the centre of attention this week for being no 1 in the whole of the UK for Covid deaths ( more than 10 ) this week, so naturally I won’t be limping up three soon whatever the X-ray reveals.
On a separate note ( apologies) just gauging , we ( friends and family here east of Manchester UK only know 1 person who has been actually has tested positively ( she’s absolutely fine) but unfortunately another person who’s relative ( we did not know) has died RIP as a result of the virus.
Best of luck to all ,looks like tricky times ahead.
 
@JohnWilky It's scary times indeed. Just follow the guideline and don't meet in groups. My area has just been put "on watch". It's the tourists that flock to the seaside. We will weather this storm (again).
 
So hello everyone , finally had my results from XRay which confirmed as predicted the ‘ cartilage ‘ in the joint has gone , therefore the pain is from arthritis in the joint.
Doctor has now referred me back to speak / examination by Surgeon at hospital, but long waiting period ( made worst by pandemic) also recommended an app with physio .
So on going .
Good luck all, btw we have a friend who is having replacement on Monday ( private health ) so will no doubt be asking some questions on her behalf .
 
also recommended an app with physio
You might want to give this a miss. Physio will do nothing for a joint without cartilage. The only thing that will fix this is THR.

The BOA just released another statement about opening up orthopaedic surgery slots. Wait times are long but they are finally moving forward again.
 
I know in some cases, at least here in the US, the insurance plans want you to try “conservative” measures before they will authorize surgery. In my case PT, which was absolutely useless (my PT “fired” me because she knew she could not help) and steroid injections which were basically a bandaid. Having had the surgery, I suspect all the issues on the less bad side (I won’t say good) will be a lot better. I hope you can get your THR sooner rather than later.
 
Unless the PT is more of an occupational sort...how to do things without putting more stress on a trashed hip, I agree that it could just be more harm than good.
Babying my hip until my surgery was all I could do.
My heating pad was my best friend.
 
An update everyone ( I know you all have been waiting ha) had / tried my telephone physio appointment and have to say it hasn’t improved matters , in fact on some days it’s just to painful to do the very basic exercises, so in summary I would say it ain’t worked as predicted by some on here.

What I have noticed the last feed though is that my pain is becoming difficult to manage without meds ( which I still don’t take ) but this last week I seem to have deteriorated rapidly , is it the weather or is it because I have been doing less exercise.

All of a sudden ( very quickly) I am finding it tricky / painful to walk any distance although I can still participate in a game of table tennis , though bending to pick the ball up is tricky and my partner helps out.

Because of the restrictions here in UK my appointment has been delayed but now have a telephone consultancy with a surgeon on the 13th November , so that will be hopefully a big step along the way to getting some relief.

I would appreciate any tips to alieve the pain , heat seems to help me ,of course I will read throughout the forum for good advice .

Ironically I will be taking our friend for a Covid test tomorrow ahead of her hip replacement on Monday .

Cheers good luck everyone
 
Hi @JohnWilky :wave:
Hate to see you hurting....yes, to me it was predictable.
I saw on the forum a bad hip being compared to a rotten tooth...you can mask the pain sometimes ..but at some point that becomes futile...try not to irritate it...which also becomes harder to do....and yes, Heat became a soother.
At the point I had come too, sleep was becoming nonexistant due to the uncomfortableness and pain.
Lots of sympathy here.
Glad you have a consult soon via telephone.
It's time.
Ironically I will be taking our friend for a Covid test tomorrow ahead of her hip replacement on Monday .
Hope all goes well for your friend and you will be able to get on track to a healthy life without that rotten hip pain.
:tada:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom