Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip but no plan for replacement

@JohnWilky Unfortunately it is very common for a hip to go from tolerable to horrid seemingly overnight. Baby that hip - you don't want it to collapse.

There are really no meds that address pre-op pain. Ice or heat may help. I found a TENs machine took the edge off the pain. I've just purchased a wireless TENs (for chronic spinal pain) and it's magic. No wires and it really works for me.

Please let us know how your phone consultation goes.
 
Just received another reminder about my telephone appointment ,well that’s good I suppose.
Just wondering what the surgeon is going to tell / ask me during the consultancy.
Forum are there any specific important questions / info I should be asking .
I understand and appreciate the dreaded lurgy is making things very difficult here in the NW of the Uk.
 
Assuming you are going to be discussing/considering surgery this was my list of questions at my first consultations for both hips:

How many THRs do you perform per year?
Surgical approach?
What type of prosthesis?
Cement or non-cement?
How long does the procedure take?
Can I have anti-nausea meds?
Will I have any weight bearing restrictions (if yes for how long)?
Anaesthesia (spinal or GA)?
Will I have a catheter post-op?
What other restrictions will I have and for how long?
What is your post-op pain management plan?
Stitches, staples or glue wound closure?
Bathing/shower how soon?
Can I function on my own at home from day 1?
PT how soon (home or outpatient)?
When can I drive?
Who can I contact with any post-op problems?

Have the list of questions handy so that you can write down the answers on the day. It is easy to get distracted during these consultations. Your mind wanders to all the "what ifs". Writing down the answers will allow you to go back and review the information.
 
An update on Jenny's surgery yesterday , my wife spoke to her last night just a couple of hours post op' and to our amazement she sounded absolutely fine ,only slight pain but otherwise very pleased with the whole procedure. Given me confidence ahead of my telephone appointment on Friday , will keep forum updated, just one ? She said she had a post op' injection in the stomach , we are assuming pain relief ? .good day everyone
 
What yourself ☹️ She has no underlying problems as far as I know . Thanks for the prompt reply , brilliant.
Have a great day J ( I’m a poet and didn’t know it )
 
Got my Telephone app today , and got my recommended questions at the ready, but did I see a post suggesting you are allowed to choose your surgeon / hospital ( Manchester Uk) .
Update on friend , released from hospital ( private) after 3 nights stay , she is very pleased with her post op experience and her mobility since .
Thanks everyone , good luck.
 
but did I see a post suggesting you are allowed to choose your surgeon / hospital ( Manchester Uk)
Yes, I chose my surgeon for every major procedure I have had here in the UK. You will need to get your GP to refer you to a specific surgeon. Not all GPs cooperate with this.

The way I worked this was to get my GP to refer me to a private consultation with my surgeon of choice. I paid for that consultation but got on their NHS books for the op. In both cases the surgeon let me know which hospital he liked best to work in.

You can look up surgeons in your area and find out their statistics on the National Joint Registry site.
 
Thanks J that’s great, however I had my telephone app this aft and I was very impressed by the consultant , a charming man with a reassuring nature , fully explained my condition and his intention / recommendations to have a ball and head replacement ( is the a total hip replacement )

Following bonesmarts brilliant list of questions and relevant answers I feel totally confident in this surgeon , and have got some inside knowledge that he has great results.

The intention is for my op in March 2021 Tameside hospital ( not confirmed yet ) and I’m very happy with that.

Still have a number of questions though which I will post soon .Thanks everyone for all the fantastic responses , amassing isn’t it never thought one of the best web site forums I could use would be one for Grammy hips and knees , there you go .

Cheers everybody
 
@JohnWilky Well done! I am so glad you had a good discussion with your surgeon. Sounds like you have found the right partner to take you through this journey.

Do keep a list of question going. We will be happy to try and answer or point you in the right direction. So glad BoneSmart has already helped you.

Have a great (and safe) weekend!
 
Hey up forum , hope everyone is well, you know what I mean .Couple of more random questions, why for instance does one hip ( my left, I’m right footed) cartilage disappear and where does it go ? And t,other hip is ok .

Also ‘there’s more ‘ is it common to have knee clicks and pain in the leg of Grammy hip?
Cheers all
 
why for instance does one hip ( my left, I’m right footed) cartilage disappear and where does it go ?
There could be many reasons why the cartilage goes. Here's a link to an article on Reasons for hip replacement surgery. In my case I had congenital dysplasia that was not diagnosed until my left hip collapsed. At my post op x-ray I asked if my right hip was OK - and it was. But as you can see in my signature, my right hip failed 4 years later.

The cartilage wears away leaving the bone on bone grinding that is so very painful pre-op.
is it common to have knee clicks and pain in the leg of Grammy hip
Very common. You are walking all wrong trying to stay off that bad hip. This can have an impact on many areas including knees and lumbar spine. You might want to use a cane or crutch to take the weight off that side.
 
@JohnWilky Do you know what approach was used on Jenny's THR? There really is no standard scar length. It depends on several things including the approach, how easy it was for the surgeon to access the joint and any complications that might have resulted in the surgeon needing to widen the access.

The good news is that in most cases any scar fades to a very fine white line.
 
Just an update on friend of family Jenny recent thr, some 7 weeks in Jenny has continued to recover remarkably (70) able to walk with the aid of stick but not really necessary, able to use all facilities in house, apart from what we call a few niggly concerns esp re bruising which has now settled nicely.

She lives alone although has plenty of friends and family help , she is delighted at the outcome , esp during these grim times. Gives me great confidence and eager now to get an appointment ASAP .

Best of luck everyone and as Happy Christmas as you can ( it’s just a day , celebrate later on ) and hopefully a better new year .
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom