TKR Hi! New to the group! TKR at 8 wks - I can't stop pushing<

@SteveInDC! Thanks for posting this because I was unaware of the concern of having a MRI. This is the stuff no one tells you about! Heck I only knew about needing antibiotics for dental work because my mom told me. Hope the MRI goes well for you.

As long as you tell the staff doing the MRI that you have metal in your body, there shouldn't be a problem. They usually ask, anyway.

I made the decision in the late autumn to stop icing because it was too cold!.. however, I realized that riding my bike to work while it's 13 degrees out might just count as an 'icing session'

I'd say so!
shiver.gif

Hello - fellow Bionic Knee Friends! Prior to the recent 'Wintergeddon' I was riding my bike to work daily with very few pains or discomforts. I had to take the bus for almost two weeks because of the cold, snow and Ice. When It warmed up again enough for me to start riding again, I had a pain/severe discomfort along the entire fold behind my knee. When I stood up from sitting It would hurt worse than just a few weeks ago and my knee would be very stiff before taking a few steps and walking it off. I'm trying to get my insurance to approve more PT, although my surgery was in September. I'm almost ready to go on my own dime.

Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone? I was sore behind me knee for a long time after surgery, but it seemed to be localized to a single tendon. (I think it was the hamstring to the knee on the inside of my knee). I'm trying to start over with my original PT home instructions, but not much relief.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thank You!

It’s probably best to give your knee a break from any exercise right now. Just let it rest and recover from whatever the biking did to it.

Hi Everyone! Happy Valentines day!
I've just passed the 5 month mark since surgery. Is anyone willing to share where and how they were at 5 months? I've tried to use the search term '5 months', but didn't get many hits. I would also appreciate those who hit six months to tell me where they were in terms of activity, mobility and general wellbeing!

Thanks!

Steve

Well I think it was the end of five months that was the first time I thought I love my new knee and realised it wasn't giving me any more pain. That came after a TKR and an MUA.
I think the surgery is both physically and emotionally traumatising.
Because I needed my other knee done I don't think I saw the full benefit at this point as my other painful knee dragged me down.
I wasn't doing any PT at this point just adl.
Hope this helps

Ps I had a lot of pain in my hamstring for many months it was worse than the joint if that makes sense my therapist used massage which really helped. Funnily second knee isn't as bad

Not sure if your search brought up my five month report, but here it is in case you’re interested: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/susieshoes-new-knees.41339/page-68

I journaled pretty extensively about my recovery. :heehee:

Basically, I was pain-free for the most part. My left knee, which has been more of a problem —but not much of one compared to anyone with a real problem knee— occasionally still complained. It was touchy, so acted up if I slept funny, for example, or twisted it in a way it didn’t like. Other than that, I had no complaints at all. I’d lost some weight because of my daily walking of two miles. I was going up and down stairs well. Not perfectly, not traipsing up and down, but foot over foot without strain. Soon after that I started with aquacize classes again and took a long plane and car trip to visit the grandkids. I was working again (I’m a writer, and work from home, so my job is less physically demanding than many). By five/six months, I’d pretty much gotten back to a more active, happy new life.

I’ll chime in here with a less than positive report, at 5 months I was still recovering from a set back that happened at 4 months. So at 5 months standing any length of time was painful, and I was still propping my foot on my cane while sitting in a restaurant.

Thanks for your reply!. I'm having a similar issue with my hamstring. If it weren't for the tightness, occasional popping and being the singular source of pain, I think I would feel much better about recovery. I am now addicted to keeping my fitbit happy, I've had a run of 41 days hitting 10,000 steps or more and lots of stairs. I should take the advice of so many on here who say I should back off for a bit, but keeping active is so satisfying and makes my day.

Thanks again!

Steve

BTW, every summer we rent a small house for a week in either Bethany Beach or South Bethany. We used to stay in Dewey, but it has almost merged with Rehobeth and has become unaffordable! Our luck in Bethany has been great so far.

Jockette, Wow, Your recovery with both knees sounds amazing. I thought I was doing well, but you truly are a TKR Rock star!

I think you meant to quote Susie’s post, her’s is definitely a rock star recovery not mine unfortunately.

@Jockette is a rock star in other ways, however. :)

Steve, don't underestimate the havoc that sitting at your desk plays on your knee. I'm no expert, but that has been one of the hardest activities to get back to for me--has caused a lot of pain and stiffness when I overdo it. That could be a source of your discomforts. Have you considered alternating sitting with standing? I recently outfitted my art studio with one of those height-adjustable tables (IKEA). I haven't used it enough to report on its utility, but am hoping it will be good for me.

Regarding 5 and 6-month reports, I can tell you that you are miles ahead of me already, what with riding your bike, climbing multiple flights of stairs, etc. Around 5-6 months, however, I was able to drive, alone, over 600 miles to visit my mom, without any issues. That was probably my best milestone at that time. At almost 8 months now, I hardly think about my knee (except when I overdo the sitting). I can do almost anything I want to without much discomfort. When the weather warms up, I'm planning to "go after" the goal of riding a bike. Stationary bike at home--no problem. Not sure about the "real thing." My ROM is enough to do most things, but has never gotten to a stellar number. So your recovery story is sweet! :happyfeet:

@Jockette is a rock star in other ways, however. :)

This is true.

There's a reason we advise not to compare knees. No two knees are alike. My left knee lags two months behind whatever my right knee is doing. It is more typical of a TKR recovery and, even so, I have had a smoother recovery than most people here. I'm not the only one, though. As you are seeing, recoveries play out all over the board in terms of when people's knees are back to doing whatever.

You are having a very fine recovery. :) The niggles you describe --tightness, minor pain, occasional odd sound-- are all par for the course. My knees occasionally make themselves heard. It's part of the joy of living with mechanical parts.

Last edited:
SusieShoes and Josephine, I've just finished reading your recovery threads. Wow, very insightful and I feel as if I know you both. I truly understand how comparing timelines means very little. However, I expected a broader range of experiences and I had no idea how much I would get into your journeys. Thank you for that!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom