THR Hi.. Anniemg - hip #2 over here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@anniemg Sorry you had such a hard time at the hospital, I hope you are getting your pain med cocktail to work for you and you're getting your pain under control. Rest up and congrats on the second hip!!
 
You certainly can do it Annie! I am so pleased that you are doing so well and that you are benefiting from the knowledge and experience you got from having your first hip replaced.Thats great news for us who probably face round two very soon.
We escaped the big storm as we live in the North and it hit the country down south.Its just rain, rain and more rain here at the moment.
 
anniemg Welcome to this side of healing once again. I was watching the wrong thread and I finally found you over here. Surgeries can be so different from one another. Do you feel that this hip was worse at the time of surgery than your first one? I missed the lead up to this surgery until I read that you were having surgery that day:yikes:. I guess I haven't been watching the pre surgery posts very well.
 
Do you feel that this hip was worse at the time of surgery than your first one?
Hi sandybeach, the pain in my right hip was worse just b4 surgery. I had excruciating groin pain with my right hip. The left hip was a constant ache from my bum, across my knee and shin & down to my foot. But less intense than the right side.
I just finished a PT session. I went up to the second floor using 1 crutch and back down. Very steady. Felt good. Walking very well. Feels strong. PT cautioned me as he left...u did good...but don't overdo...so I won't. Right now elevating and icing.
Nice to hear from you. How are you feeling these days?
Annie
 
Hey well done on the PT session, make sure you take your pain meds though so you can keep it up, I know it can get bad if you don't! Brilliant start to your second recovery :cheers:
 
Two weeks down. Had my staples removed on Monday by the visiting nurse...feel so much better.
PT is progressing well....I am taking advantage of just laying around and icing during the day. I am sleeping better too. Get up once during the nite, take tylenol and back to sleep till 7am...
Still taking percocet during the day as needed for pain...
I can't believe that I feel this good this quickly. Enjoying reading all the posts from my fellow bonesmarties.
 
Anniemg, I'm so glad you're feeling better. It is amazing that it's just been 2 weeks. I agree it feels great to have the staples. Keep up the good work. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
Wow you're doing so well anniemg, it's really good if you can get a good nights rest, brilliant news!! :)
 
7 weeks update.
I feel wonderful. Had my 6 week checkup with my OS last week. Xrays show everything is where it should be. I am walking mostly without any aids inside the house. I still use my cane when going up & downstairs and outside. My incision area is still tender and I do have muscle soreness.
I drove twice last week. I need a pillow for comfort while driving. I feel like I am sitting on marbles, but I had that feeling after my right hip replacement. It took about 5 months for that feeling to go away.
I haven't taken perosets in 3 weeks...just tylenol 3 times a day. I am sleeping right thru the nite. I haven't slept this well in a couple of years.
I am still icing and will continue, as it feels wonderful. I am able to pick back up the house cleaning, and laundry. I went food shopping with my husband last weekend. I had my last PT @home this morning.
I am going back to work next Mon the 16th. I am antsy and I have had my fill of daytime tv. I miss my work buddies.
I actually get up from the couch without pain shooting up and down my legs. I am stiff first thing in the morning and after sitting for extended periods of time, but things settle down after I am up and about.
I am very grateful for all the information, threads, bonesmarties, moderators, administrators and nursing care I found here on this forum. I have thoroughly enjoyed the people I have had the pleasure to converse with. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year.
Annie
 
Great report, Annie. Do remember when you go back to work that it's a tremendous energy drain. Give yourself a vacation from everything else so you can get plenty of rest time after work, until you get past the transition period. You're at that danger zone time when everything is going so well, it's easy to assume you're done with recovery and can get truly back to normal. So learn from the past mistakes of many of us, and just keep easing into real life, with plenty of buffer time to continue healing.

You have a wonderful holiday season too. :)

Sharon
 
Brilliant news anniemg I'm glad you're doing so well and being able to go back to work is just the icing on the cake. As you know I went back at 4 1/2 - 5 weeks but not full time, I hope you are easing yourself in slowly and of course you have the Christmas holidays which helps. I'm off for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year and I'm really looking forward to the break!! Take care and have a wonderful Christmas :) :cheers:
 
Hi Littlejem, I will stay intune to what my body tells me...I do know that the energy drain is real....Luckily, the week after I return to work, my company goes on break until after New Years, so my timing is very good.
I hope you are well and enjoy your Christmas/New Years break as well.:martini: I can actually have one of these now! Happy 2014!
Annie
 
:flwrysmile:One yr anniversary this week for my first hip replacement and 5 months for my 2nd hip replacement. Back to work full time just before Christmas.
What a difference a year makes. Last summer, even tho my right hip was new...my left side was going downhill fast.
I sleep well at nite...because I am actually very tired after working a full day & taking back my household duties. Except cooking...my husband does all the cooking!
The stairs can still be tricky for me. I'm better coming down than going up. But I'll get there.
Getting in & out of the car was troublesome. My legs felt very heavy...but that is all but gone now.
My co-workers can't believe I'm back to the speedster I was before my hip troubles. They all agree that the pain they could read in my eyes and on my face before is completely gone.
I am so glad I did this. I am very grateful for a wonderful dr. and hospital and for the people I met on bonesmart and all the threads full of encouragement.
Before I forget....I STILL ICE!!! I GET WONDERFUL RELIEF FROM ICING!
Hope that @ByGosh, @zauberflöte , @SeaSiren, are all doing well. Miss not hearing from those ladies. Here's hoping that they are all doing well and back into their routines.
Regards,
Annie
 
@anniemg Great to hear from you and what a wonderful update. As you confirm, there is still healing going on even after 12 months. So glad you are finally seeing the benefits of this surgery! Thanks for checking in!
 
Hi @anniemg congratulations on your wonderful recovery and your two new hips which have given you your life back.As you and Jacey have both confirmed that full healing continues after a year so you have a lot more to look forward to.I also wish our friends @ByGosh, @zauberflöte and @SeaSiren all the very best and hope their recoveries are going well.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hi.. Anniemg - hip #2 over here!
update, @anniemg! It's great to know that you're doing do well and have gotten back up to speed while wowing your co-workers. You know how we love a success story---and you're one!

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hi @anniemg - so nice to read your update, and am glad that you are doing so well - one year and 5 months out. As I am not too far behind you in my recoveries and can relate with your story (I am six months and 2.5 months post op on my 2 hips), I was wondering if you could shed some light on a few concerns I have.

I find that my hips get extremely stiff, especially if I have done some walking and then sit for anything more than 5 minutes. Did you have this, and if so, has it diminished as you got further along in your recovery?

When you say stairs are still tricky - are you able to go up and down without holding on, or do you still need a railing and/or cane? Right now, I hold the railing and use a cane. My ultimate goal (and mark of success in my mind) will be when I am able to go up and down stairs "hands-free".

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks !
 
I find that my hips get extremely stiff, especially if I have done some walking and then sit for anything more than 5 minutes. Did you have this, and if so, has it diminished as you got further along in your recovery?
Hi @drahdrah, Just recently that stiffness has started to get better. At work I have to make the effort to get up and move around or I stiffen up.
I dreaded going into the grocery store too. Even leaning on the grocery cart moving around the store fet like alot of work. It was very tiring. Lately that is much better too.
I do hold onto the hand rail going up & down stairs. After hip #1, I still needed the cane because the other side was hurting. I returned to work without the cane for hip #2. I felt very confident walking without it. But I will continue to use the railing....I don't want to end up on my behind at the bottom of the stairs! LOL.
This past weekend, a truck had parked too close to my car and I could not get to my driver side door. I got in the passenger side door and crawled over the console to the drivers seat. I was spitting & sputtering, but I did it!
I have not had the courage to take a nice long bath....That's my next goal.
You're still early on in your 2nd replacement. Have you returned to work from hip #2? Be patient. Take care of yourself!
Annie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom