• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Here We Go Again!

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
United States United States
Well, although the day started out looking pretty grim (heavy overcast, constant threat of rain) it is now sunny as I'm writing this in early afternoon. I know it's just a temporary respite with rain returning tonight, but I'm just glad that we were able to do our "Monster Mash Dash" (AKA "MM Stroll" for our party) without the rain descending. We walked about 4 kilometers so a good walk, and fun to catch up with my daughter and her family as we strolled along. After that we headed out to brunch at a nearby restaurant where the adults all had Bloody Marys. I had delicious French toast with bacon for my meal and here, almost two hours later, I'm still stuffed to the gills and haven't done my daily PT workout. I will remedy that shortly.

I did drag in a foam "noodle" from the garage yesterday and used that in place of that miserable foam roller and while I can't say it was comfortable, it was way more comfortable than using the roller so I'm sticking with that for awhile, and will duly report back success to my PT next week. She wanted a report because if the noodle worked, she said she wanted to recommend it to other patients who are howling about the pain involved in using a foam roller.

I'm having to do my PT exercises in the hallway as my normal spare bedroom has a big oak desk there which won't be leaving until Monday when my son is coming to pick it up for his apartment. I didn't do any cardio yesterday but spent a lot of time putting more stuff back in our closet and study which kept me reasonably active and busy all day until the evening when we stopped and went out to dinner, followed by a movie ("Downtown Abby", entertaining and lots of sighing over clothing and interiors, plot pretty incidental to the sighing).

Daughter and granddaughter arrive here around 4:00 as we'll be off to the nail salon to get all gussied up. Daughter and grand are flying to a wedding at week's end so splurging on fancy finger and toe nails. Then they'll come back to our house with husband and grandson joining them, and we'll just order pizza and crack open a bottle of wine for dinner. Good start to my weekend so far, and hips feeling pretty darn good! Happy Saturday!

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Barbaraj The floor looks fantastic. Did the molding need to come off to do the floor? Thinking about new flooring, too.

bickypeg

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What a nice couple of days! How do you manage to stay so slim when you eat all those lovely naughty things? Though I might as well as I can't shed an ounce! Excellent news about the hips-Perhaps the roller helped after all? I must say I'd have abandoned it long ago!
Have to agree with you about Downton! More like moving wallpaper than a film but very pretty! And it's done very well at the box office I believe. I'm looking forward to Judy next week, supposed to be an Oscar winning performance by Renee Zellwegger.

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
It's Monday and feeling pretty good despite the usual morning stiffness and aches--groan. I know things get better as the day progresses, but it does make one very cranky for at least the first hour or two of the morning, particularly before one's morning coffee. Stern message to anyone foolish enough to drift into my path before coffee (that means you, dear husband): DO NOT SPEAK TO ME. But latte has been guzzled, doing a few BS postings and then off to run errands today. Need to hit post office to mail in passport renewal forms and large payment check, hit the pharmacy for my annual flu shot, and then home to "supervise" my husband and son who will be taking the old desk from our study--heavy and unwieldy--and moving it to our son's apartment. This will free up the floor of the spare bedroom so I can move back my PT mat and other stuff. I've been doing many of my exercises in the hallway since last week and it feels kind of unsettling, and I'm in danger of kicking in the walls if I'm not careful!

The floorboards/molding were pulled off by the flooring installer, @VSlowLife, and then reinstalled after the new floors put in. I did have to do a bit of paint touch up but it seems fine to me (just don't look really closely). Good luck if you decide to proceed with new flooring--it's quite nice and I'm betting you'll enjoy it.

And @bickypeg, I am tall so I have an advantage in terms of eating which shorter folks don't enjoy. But I also try to behave myself overall in terms of my diet--hefty meal days following by more abstemious behavior. I was told by my OS before both of my surgeries that other than staying as active as possible, I wasn't to gain an ounce! I am a rule follower and tried to follow both instructions. But admittedly I'm pretty lucky--haven't really ever gained weight except during pregnancies and then loathing maternity clothes I was more than happy to diet and quickly return to my pre-baby size and wardrobe.

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Barbaraj Thank you! It sounds like your installer did an amazing job, If the molding is still in good shape.
Sorry the mornings are still rough, maybe by the 4 month mark it will ease up?

Fiona444

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @Barbaraj ! I hope the roller does what it should. Sounds like you are busy and active as usual. I loved the Downton movie. Huge fan of the show too! Next stop is the Judy Garland movie with Rene Zellweger !

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Random hello, as I Went back on the elliptical today and it felt wonderful.
I've been using it for ten years and started to have too much pain, then surgery, then journey back. It is my old friend and I listen to the best tunes that keep me going.
Thought of you all the way in the PNW.
Hope all is well!

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I have a book group meeting this afternoon and although I read the book, I have very little recall of any of the details. I'll need to pull it out before the meeting and breeze through it a little so I don't seem a complete dolt during the meeting--although I've found that nodding and looking thoughtful without actually saying anything sometimes works well for me.
@Barbaraj, it's quotes like the one above that make you Supremo. "Nodding and looking thoughtful"---such a great line! You have such wonderful self-deprecating humor. Your humor just adds such fresh air to the journey of recovery, to the journey of life, really.

I'm still remembering and laughing at your line a while back about bar trivia I think it was. You said something along the lines of your goal in competing isn't to win ... The goal is to not finish last. And to that fabulous bit of wit, you now add, "nodding and looking thoughtful without saying anything."

I'm howling.

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Good afternoon--it's been awhile since I checked in but I've been busy. First of all, granddaughter DID make it into her ballet studio's annual "Nutcracker" production. She only has a very small part ("Little Mouse") but she'll be doing extra lessons and then rehearsals and then shows, ramping up heavily starting in November and certainly December which means we'll be hauling her back and forth to the studio or the event venue many, many times a week. We are glad we can do this as with two working parents she wouldn't be able to participate if we weren't available for chauffeuring duties, but it really does put a time crimp in our lives. However, what we do for the ones we love, right?

We went away for a long weekend as my husband's birthday was on Friday and we decided to go to Walla Walla, Washington--Washington's premier wine country! We stayed in a pleasant downtown hotel which faced onto the downtown's main street so very convenient. BUT...it was in an old building and the entrance to the hotel had a very steep staircase with 27 (!) steps going up and down. Wow, I found that really hard trudging up and down multiple times a day! We visited a number of wineries and, of course, my husband bought wine. I am a white wine drinker and the ratio of reds to white is about 5 to 1 so I didn't do a whole lot of tasting. But the wineries are often beautiful places, with nice tasting rooms and lovely grounds so I would wander a bit as my husband was schmoozing with the wine folks behind the tasting bar.

We had several nice meals out and I let my husband talk me into buying a new coat--reversible, which helped me justify the cost a wee bit. And he didn't really need to encourage me all that much. He spent a ton on wine so turnabout is fair play, right? Tried to do PT exercises in the hotel room but could only do a few (needless to say I did NOT bring my foam noodle with me), but tomorrow I'll get back on schedule again. Hips and thighs of both legs are aching tonight, probably due in part to a long drive home (5 hours, with one stop for lunch half way) and ton of walking and those dratted hotel stairs--oh, yeah, and fact that these hips are barely 3 months out!

Glad you were able to return to the elliptical, @ahipgma I love that I can do it without any stress or strain on my hips, and hope to continue very gradually increasing both time and resistance at some point as I recover. Yup, listening to music and/or reading while flowing on the elliptical is totally the way to go--it makes the time go quickly, doesn't it?

And, oh, @Going4fun You are so sweet to say I have a decent sense of humor. I try to keep my chin up, I think we all should, otherwise hip recovery and aging would be unbelievably grim and depressing some days. I am glad you enjoy my postings, and they sometimes make you laugh, and I'll take the kindly "supremo" accolade, a girl can't have too many compliments!

Last edited:

Fit4Family

graduate
Country
Look at you traveling and scaling 27 old stairs, coming and going. :egypdance: Very impressive! I think I would count those stairs as your PT. ✅

Glad your remodel work is progressing nicely and that you’ve claimed an area for PT. Girls got to have room! Wishing you a great week!

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Okay, lest anyone think I am really a giant weenie, I'm attaching a picture of the stairs leading up to the second floor lobby where our hotel room was located this past weekend. And you can really only see the second/top half of the stairs There is an equal number of stairs below, approaching the entrance, just as steep. As I said, it was quite the effort schlepping up and down and my hips grumbled at every hike up and down. Still, it was a fun weekend, but very much looking forward today to doing not much at all. Hips are feeling a bit less stiff this morning, probably from Hungate Stairs.jpgsleeping in my own bed and getting back into my own routines. Just laundry and grocery store today so an easy and relaxing day--ahh--you are right, @gertie, home IS best!

Thank you, @helenium, for your kind words--they mean a lot, especially the bit about deserving that new coat! Did I need it? Uh...no, but it is still nice to have something pretty and new, and I'm appreciative my husband was so generous in encouraging me to throw caution and good sense to the wind and just get it, a lovely treat. Maybe I should wear it as I'm helping him drink some wine?

Last edited:

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
@Barbaraj I just saw your weather forecast on the Weather Channel. Ick. Does days of rain make you sore?

We are getting an ole New England Noreaster Thursday. Those glorious colors are going to get ripped out of the trees by 60 mph winds and then we get to rake
and rake
and rake
and move
and blow
and blow.

We just have to get them out of the flower beds and into the woods. No bagging.. And the neighbors are not in danger of getting our errant leaves.

We had similar stairs at an old inn on Monhegan Island.. One flight of 21 and another of 14. This was pre op. I tried to minimize trips too!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Retiredmam
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom