THR Here We Go Again!

Well, just happily finished slurping down a celebratory glass of rose with today's lunch. Attaching picture of delicious lunch and vino. The tedious, "hurry up and wait" doctor's appointment this morning, although overly long, was full of good news. Hip x-rays showed my hip is healing as it's supposed to be, and incision is looking good with allergic reaction discoloration is almost gone, and--hallelujah--got a referral for PT and a release to get back to the gym (slowly and carefully, I was reminded sternly) to start waking up these sluggish muscles of mine. I cannot express how relieved I am at the good report, although my husband somewhat scoffingly said, "what else were you expecting?!", and how excited at the freedom to start doing exercise that I enjoy and will definitely do regularly. As I've said before, I am just not a walker (@Fiona444 is incredible but that is so NOT me) but can return to being a faithful gym rat as I was before this hip nonsense.

Went to the baseball game last night and did alright despite the uncomfortable bar stool seating (metal slats on the seats, no padding) and awful ballpark food, although after the boring 4th inning I sighed heavily and tried to look sad and uncomfortable so my husband would notice and whisk me away. It worked and after a walk back to our car in a nearby parking garage with a few too many steps for my comfort, we were out of there and home by 9:30. I collapsed into bed and slept fairly well. Although I am not in any real pain at night, I think the low level aching probably does wake me up more often although I'm usually able to get back to sleep. I can't wait for the night when I can comfortably sleep through the night on my side again. Either side right now doesn't work for very long, I can't get to sleep and after about 15 - 20 minutes I need to roll over onto my back. So, that's another goal I'll continue to work on.

Feel as if I am truly "over the hump" in this recovery. Still absolutely not 100% and I still have my share of aching and stiffness, but this six week check up was really a major milestone for me. The early, hard days are over and now it's just going to involve persistence and slow and steady work to get my hips, and lower body, working smoothly and efficiently so that, as I've projected, 2020 will be a most wonderful year! Cheers and happy Tuesday from a very happy hipster today!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Here We Go Again!
    celebratory lunch.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 155
I hope your check up appointment goes well!! I'm sure it will, you seem to be holding steady with your eye on the prize!!
 
Great looking lunch @Barbaraj
and a great update... don’t worry about the side sleeping... it will come ...honestly. I sleep on my side all the time now!!

So lovely to see such an update so early in your recovery ... it gives inspiration to so many following on.

Hope you continue to do so well xx[emoji3590]



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh My @Barbaraj Very nice plate.. But I am not so virtuous.. I am in possession of Ice Cream..

A few years ago we flew to Vancouver BC on our way to a ski vacation. We went to a seafood restaurant.. they were all enthusiastic about their special dinner that night! Maine Lobster. We just laughed and laughed and said o ick.. They had such funny looks on their faces..Then we explained that the last thing we wanted was lobster as its kind of everyday at home and what we can't have is good native Pacific Salmon!
 
Great news! You've achieved that momentous 6 week milestone and now you're cut loose! :happydance: Now entering the long slog through the the next phase of recovery, but thankfully with regular input from a PT pro and of course getting your gym bunny fix should keep your spirits up. Yahoo!!:cheers:
 
The lunch plate looks delicious! I’d probably have followed that with ice cream I’m afraid. What a great six week report from dr!! No matter how good we think we are doing, it is always nice to hear that confirmation from the doctor. It sounds like you are well along with your recovery.
 
Well, a sunny morning here in the PNW and I have a full plate of chores today: yes, I will be heading down to the gym shortly for 10 minute, or maybe 15, on the elliptical at the lowest setting, of course. Then a trip to the bank and then the gas station, and then the nail salon for a much needed pedicure (I think I can now manage to get up into those spa chairs) and this afternoon a haircut to get rid of excess shag! Feeling quite pumped up today, and I know, y'all, that this is prime time for being stupid and overdoing things so I will try to take all of those cautions to heart and not be an idiot--easier said than done. And funny, @mainegirl1, that while I like ice cream, I seldom eat it, mostly because I don't keep it regularly in the house and I'm more on the "salty/fatty" axis when it comes to my go-to foods. Again tried side sleeping last night, @Hoppy Nanny, and it's not comfortable on either side--sigh. I will try to be patient, but that is not a hallmark of my personality. But, in this case I have no other choice, do I? Okay, off to start my day, sunshine and a happy smile on my face today--what could be better? Happy Hump Day!
 
@Barbaraj: As always, your posts continue to inspire me. I am very impressed about your going to the baseball game and lasting four innings on hard little metal seats-especially since it sounds like you didn't bring a cushion. My six week follow up is next Tuesday and I hope I do as well as you did!

Enjoy the rest of your week!
 
@Barbaraj How did things go using the elliptical today at the gym? I used mine today for 10 minutes because the weather out was very windy and chilly. Do you ever peddle backwards? I do both. It's funny, I can walk longer than I can stay on my elliptical. It's definitely more aerobic. I never went over 30 minutes even before hip problems.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom