THR Here I go again!

julesglass

graduate
Country
United States United States
Here I am on the other side now, wow. Surgery went well, saw pics Doc took for me. Top of femer bone had an indent on it, no wonder it was sharp pain instead of dull ache for right one. Gotta get him to send them to me. The prodacal for pain management is different since three years again.

The above I started yesterday yet couldn't finish due to extreme pain.. I didn't receive the general ..... I can't spell but the stuff that knocks you out. Now I got spinal then the mask and a block. Woke up in recovery this time. I woke up dreaming of my favorite spot with a cold one under my tree with my bully girl. Had liquid lunch then roast beef with cauliflower and fruit salad for supper. Now let's talk about the pain management. Yesterday by early afternoon the block was gone and I was in the most horrible intense pain in my entire left leg.:yikes: :shocked:. I was screaming and crying walking to toilet. I was instructed to relax. Very difficult to do in that much pain. Finally got something put into the ivee, I don't know how to spell these words. Then 10mg oxycodone. Now this morning just pills so far and pain is at " my " 5. Doc was in and I had him download lefty's pics. You all take care. I'm going to try to stay till tomorrow.

@julesglass so happy to see you pop up! Sounds like surgery went great and sounds like you've been dealing with some of the pain issues the rest of us have had. Very different treatment from when I had my back surgery. I was gotten up to the toilet and into a chair by the PT well before I really wanted to. Keep promising to tell everyone about my stay in the hospital from :censored:!

You get some rest and we'll chat later. :beer:

Good to see you @julesglass ! Sorry that you have been in so much pain though. It seems that is the theme for us july hippies. I hope you manage to get some rest

Welcome to Recovery! :welome: Congrats on your new hip!
I really wished your pain was better managed. You'd think they could do a more efficient job. So sorry.
Hopefully they're providing you with ice. If not, I'd request it and use it as much as you can tolerate. It truly helps the pain and swelling.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines -
Stop back often, you know where to find us. We want to follow your progress and encourage and support you as you're healing. Wishing you comfort :friends:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @julesglass

@julesglass
Welcome to the recovery and healing side. It's not all roses over here either, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel, while being stuck on the pre-OP side waiting, is not a great place to be for too long. I've definitely come to learn it takes time to heal and as hard as you try to speed up the recovery, your body laughs and says we'll do this but at my pace not yours. Hummmm. Shucks.:heehee: However, thank goodness it does eventually get so much better in good time. ♥️

So glad to see you here and so not glad to hear about someone telling you to “relax” when, in my opinion, they should have been hot footing it for the fast-acting pain drugs. I can’t help but want them to take the tenderest care of you! I hope very soon - maybe by the time you read this message - your 5 fades to a manageable 2, and you can start to settle in to a steady smooth recovery.

I am so sorry you are experiencing such pain. Speak to your doctor and nurses about pain relief and keep at them - the squeaky wheel and tell them last time you did not go through this pain. They might need a reminder that this is not your first replacement. There is no reason to have that much pain and being told to relax. Pain control is a big issue in hospitals - they want pain controlled. I hope you can go home safely soon and can take pain meds on a better schedule.

Welcome @julesglass ! Glad to see you over here and hope that by the time you see this, you are feeling much more comfortable. As you know, it will get better!

Keep squeaking till you get that cold one! and can say AAAH!

Thanks to all of you for your cheering me on! I will be discharge today. They've got the cocktail figured out and I am confident I'll be fine. Figure I'll be home around 6pm. Time for another nap till then. Take care of yourself and talk later.

Yes, that cocktail is super important! Glad you are feeling a bit better. I’m at my 11th day out and trying to figure out the new cocktail..starting to ease a little off but talking it slow. No rush!

Wonderful news, julesglass! :yay:
It's good to know they're managing your pain more effectively.
Safe travels to your recovery nest.
We'll look forward to hearing from you once you're resting comfortably at home.
@julesglass

Hope you are home safe and sound and comfy:sleeep:. There is no place like home.:martini:meds.

Morning @Fiona444. It's been a struggle. Pain won't go below 6 while laying down and of course raps up with I move. Oxycodone they gave me is lower mg than before. I just woke up, tried to get out of recliner. Knocked the walker out of reach and proceeded to pee my chair. I'm going to call doc and see if he would up dosage for me. Also Deb (sister-in-law) is not going home tonight. I hope you are doing better. It's all good even when it's not.

Hey @julesglass i am sorry you are in so much pain. It seems as is all the doctors are reducing their pain meds which is tough for us all. I knocked my crutches to the floor but luckily i was sitting on the toilet at the time. Good idea to call your doc. Anything to reduce the pain. I am very weak as not wanted to eat much. Certain movements and weight bearing cause intense pain. But i didnt wake myself up with pain last night which is good. We have this and i am glad you are not on your own

Oh my stars...I don't like that they don't have your pain meds quite right.
Keep that ice cranking and know that I am sending you healing vibes and well wishes to get over these first tough days.
:console2:

@julesglass hopefully the Doc will either up your dosage or change you to a different, better med. So sorry you're going through this. I know you already know but ice, I've baby. :ice: I've pretty much been living with an ice pack by my side.

oh no. ! I am sure Depends were not on your pre op list of supplies. Nor puppy pads
Sending you (n) ice wishes for better comfort!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Islandflyr
Recent bookmarks