Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

I think the stumbling is a result of tiredness and it's a normal reaction to the first few weeks back at work. It should settle down, as your body gets more used to the added activity of working. Meanwhile, try to remember to lift your feet higher with each step.. You could take a cane to use, just for safety's sake.

I'm sure this isn't a regression, just a temporary blip.
 
...rest, ice, and don't forget the 3rd part of the equation: elevate.
I would think, while working full time, this early in recovery, you should use as much of the weekend to rest and recover as possible. Congratulations on making it through your work week!
 
@jaschembra Thanks! You're so kind! @Celle I hope it's just tiredness! I forget that at almost 4 months is still early in this year long journey! I still ice a few min at night but I don't elevate as often. I guess I thought I was past doing that!
 
Why not try elevating and icing all evening? You can elevate while sitting in a chair, watching TV or reading.
 
As a matter of passing interest, are you still doing your exercises? If so, what and how many?
 
Just out of curiosity, are your shoes the ones that are not completely flat on the bottom? If so, I was walking in a pair of those in 2016 on a cruise ship. I was dragging my left foot because my hip hurt so bad before having surgery. I broke my shoulder trying to break that fall. I wore the shoes agin after the surgery, but felt like my foot was still catching. I never wore the shoes again. Take a Cane to be sure you can catch yourself.
 
@Josephine I'm really not doing exercises anymore. After my doc released me and I went to work full time I just didn't have the energy to do them anymore. Sometimes at night I will do some extension stretches. Do you recommend that I do?

@Mscant the shoes were not flat. They have a sneaker bottom. I gave up flat shoes years ago when the onset of arthritis. Sorry to hear about your fall. I'll try to remember my cane!
 
I've never found or heard (from knee surgeons) that extension exercises achieve what is 'written on the tin'! In fact, the general consensus is that they cause more swelling and problems than they resolve.
 
I didn’t word my question to you correctly. My shoes had a tennis shoe bottom, but the bottom of the shoe had almost a slight rocker shape so that the whole bottom of the shoe was not on the walking surface. When you took a step forward the shoe rocked a bit forward. The premise was that the rocker bottom would exercise your gluteus and your calves while you walked. Turns out the science was unproven. In any case, if you have those just be very careful. We don’t want you to fall!
 
@Mscant i get it now! I was wondering about those rocker shoes. I was skeptical of them anyway. Glad you told me this. Mine were flat tennis shoe bottoms. I just think I starting being lazy in not lifting my leg. I kinda do this out of habit when I'm tired! I hate having to THINK about walking. It, too, tires me!
 
I understand! I am dragging my bad hip now, so I changed over to crutches. But......day after tomorrow I get my new hip and a new attitude.

Be careful on your walks and Godspeed to you in your continued rehabilitation!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
the bottom of the shoe had almost a slight rocker shape so that the whole bottom of the shoe was not on the walking surface.
Oh those things? Pure imagination! They might be a little bit helpful with muscle aches and pains but not for after surgery.
 
Sorry@Josephine I answered this early in the message.

I'm really not doing exercises anymore. After my doc released me and I went to work full time I just didn't have the energy to do them anymore. Sometimes at night I will do some extension stretches. Do you recommend that I do?
I choose to do extension stretches because I have MS and suffer with spasticity anyway so to keep my muscles and tendons stretched out I do this nightly. It's really gentle and I find that it helps my walking.

Thanks for checking in. I truly appreciate you and all you do!
 
I'm really not doing exercises anymore. After my doc released me and I went to work full time I just didn't have the energy to do them anymore.
Well that figures! But good you're not doing them any more.
Sometimes at night I will do some extension stretches. Do you recommend that I do? I choose to do extension stretches because I have MS and suffer with spasticity. Do you recommend that I do?
If they are helping you, of course I do!
 
What is strange is that I found rocker bottoms much better on my knees. I've worn them for over 15 years. They make me put my heel down first and roll on over to my toes. My previous OS really liked them. They do take some getting used to, though. Now, I wear them at least 75% of the time. I certainly don't suggest anyone try them with a new knee. They would be very easy to lose your balance on.
 
Ok, new question. Today makes 16 weeks for me. I am slowly progressing and have little pain with low activity. While sitting, my pain levels are probably 1/2, mainly if I twist it the wrong way. But... in high activity like working, shopping or doing extensive walking I have more pain possibly 5/6. I still have a prescription for Norco that I take once a day at the peak of my activity. At night, I take 1000 mg of Tylenol.

So here's my question, is this normal to have pain during activity at 4 months? I really want to wean myself off of pain meds because on the weekend Tylenol is enough but if I don't take something stronger during the week, I limp terribly because walking is painful and uncomfortable.
 
Well, in a way you've almost answered it for yourself! Your pain med schedule is all over the place. You should have NO need to be taking the Norco now but what you do need to do is take the Tylenol on a regular basis, 6hly, 1,000mg a time.

Also, if you're only taking the Norco once a day then you're already 'weaned off' and can just stop.
 
@Josephine i talked with my surgeon who gave me a prescription for Tramadol. I've taken that before and I know you can take that w/ Tylenol. Can you send me that schedule again?

Thanks
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom