Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

I found CPM's soothing to my knee As long as they do not cause any pain or discomfort, they are OK to use.
Your OS should be OK with you using a CPM if you find them soothing.

My guess is 85 is what you will get in the short term, you could continue to gain ROM over time.
 
We hear so much about surgeons and therapists issuing dire warnings about "developing scar tissue" as if it's not a natural process that, for most of us, will turn out just fine. Seldom do we hear about surgeons (or therapists) who have actual experience with those people who do develop scar tissue in abnormal ways. I'm sorry you're dealing with arthrofibrosis, but happy (relieved?) you have a surgeon who has been down this road before and who is working with you.

You're getting good advice from @maryo52 and I'm sure @skigirl will be along. They can tell you what worked for them. My OS told me from the outset to ice my knee to keep it "cool." He too believed that reducing inflammation led to regaining better motion down the road.
 
I had what is called an "Open Lysis of Adhesions and a Spacer Exchange" . Basically my knee was opened along the old scar line. The doctor removed extensive scar tissue and put in a slightly larger spacer. I had pain for three or four days and then just the boredom of yet another recovery!! I also had extensive adhesions around the knee cap, it had "scarred down" and that was the source of most of my pain.

My doctor stressed that if I exercises a hot, inflamed knee I would cause more scar tissue to form---especially since I had already had a large amount of scar tissue. So, for the first two weeks, I just stayed home on the couch with my knee elevated and iced. I did a few heel slides and some leg lifts, but that was about it. He told me if I do any activity that increases the swelling, I was to put ice on it immediately until the swelling went down.

At three weeks, I began formal PT, but my PT agreed with my doctor. His advice, we will go very slowly until 8 or 10 weeks. If the scar tissue reforms, at least we will know that we did everything we could to prevent it.

If I had limited insurance coverage for PT, I might have waited another week or two to even start it.

We did only table exercises---leg lifts, clam shells, heel slides for another two weeks--no weight bearing exercise at all. I did ride the bike for 15 min prior to PT. If we did anything that made the knee warm, we stopped and iced it. It was a long and boring recovery, but I have had no problems since, so I am glad that I listened to the doc and the PT. I would not do anything at all that makes your knee more inflamed.

I was so impatient!!! I hated the forced inactivity, but I was determined to give the knee the best chance I could give it. We started light exercise at 8 weeks. step ups---very small lift. bike for 20 min. no squats or serious weight on any machine.

I am now eight years out from that surgery. I have some scar tissue there, but it does not impair my movement like it did prior to surgery. I have pretty good rom---138. Most of all, my knee is much more stable with the bigger spacer. My doctor told me that since the knee was moving a little too much with the first spacer, that alone might have caused some of the scar tissue. Am I glad I did it? Yes.

The biggest hassle was the slow recovery. The pain was really nothing compared to a TKR. But, take the long view, you do not need to worry in the beginning about it freezing up. Just do quad sets, light leg lifts---no ankle weights for 8 weeks. Right now, just rest.

I hated the cpm, did not like being tied to a machine, if you use it use it on slow and do not force the bend. Forcing the bend is the wrong way to go, that is what will inflame you knee. You are just going to have to go slowly and not do anything too drastic.
 
Last edited:
@skigirl crazy, impatient me want to know when I can decide if this procedure was a success? When I came out of surgery, the knee was much looser! My husband even commented of how “normal” my walking seemed. At one week, it feels so tight and again I feel like I’m falling back into the same pattern as before - limping and waddling. A big part of this is breaking old bad habits but it’s difficult to work on my gait when I’m so stiff.

I’ve gone to PT twice and am very impressed with this group. Just massage and gentle stretches. My therapist told me to stretch every two hours but to only rest in between!

Help! I need to know if I’m doing what I should! I just want to get it right this time!

Impatient me!
 
Boy I'm watching this tread - kind of sounds like my journey. My surgeon is trying everything prior to surgery. But at this point frankly I'm ready for surgery. Ugh.

Happy healing
 
I think your PT is giving you good guidance. Remember what I said: after my lysis, it was a month before I passed 90. I did lose faith waiting. I can sense that in you, and who wouldn't? Stick with your plan.
 
Thank you @maryo52. Patience is definitely not my best quality! After all it’s been 3 years! Thank you for your insight. It’s comforting hearing from someone with first hand experience. Surgeons and therapists know medically but your experience is worth more than gold!:cheers:
 
I’m back!
After my open lysis last November, I have had very little pain. My knee is stronger and I feel that the doctor did an excellent job in “cleaning” it out. Here’s my problem- my extension is great; almost 0! I am still struggling with my range of motion. My quad and muscles as high up as my hip are contracted which really limits my ROM. I have a working range of about 80 and I still limp and because of that I have trouble balancing. My surgeon says that there’s no more that can be done. Although I am truly grateful for the progress I’ve made but I still wonder if there is something more that can be done. My questions are:

1-can the quads recover @Josephine?
2- is there something non surgical like exercises or stretches that I could do to help?
 
With all that you have been through, my own suggestion is to ask for a referral to a physiatrist. Your PCP can do that. A physiatrist is a doctor of physical therapy, someone who might hopefully sort out what's going on and find some options.
 
So glad I've found this thread. Jordan6 we are both suffering from the same thing. My quad is killing me and slowing me down!! The pain is just irritating at this point. Frankly I'm walking worse now than I was 2 months ago. Ugh. Let's hope we can all get our ROM back.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom