Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

@Celle thank you so much for confirming what I thought all along about my first surgery!:yes!:

All the 3 surgeons that I saw would not confirm that the faulty knee could have caused the increased scar tissue!

I'm resting today hoping that tomorrow will be better!
 
I'm not an expert, but it just seems like common sense to me.

I doubt that you'll find many surgeons who are willing to say outright that one of their colleagues has made a mistake. They cover for each other.
 
This weekend sat in a rocking chair and rocked about an hour (at my therapist recommendation) and later that evening I sat on the back of my husbands truck while he did yard work. While I sat I kicked my leg (the replaced knee) back and forth. Sunday when I got up I was very sore and struggled to put weight on my knee.
Oooh! A classic case of "this is a good idea - let me do it lots and it will be lots more effective" This is not the way to do it, my dear.

Besides which, using the rocker in that way is tantamount to doing heel slides. And so did you read this article in the recovery articles you were left? Heel slides and how to do them properly It clearly says there "8. repeat about 5 times every couple of hours throughout the day". But I go even further than that now - I say DON'T do heel slides at all! They cause far more trouble - as you have just demonstrated - than improvement. It's really not worth the risk.

So now get into an intensive routine of rest, icing and elevation until it all settles down.
 
@Josephine you are so correct. Me in my "hurry up to get better" did something sooooo crazy. I honestly knew better. Just those voices in my head and voices of those people who have not been in my shoes convinced me to always "do more". I have truly learned my lesson. More is not better!

It's definitely not worth the risk or the worry if I've done something to hurt myself! I've learned a lesson in patience cause now I'm sitting PATIENTLY waiting for my knee to be happy :loll:with me again!

​
 
Exercise is like medicine. The right dose is good, but a larger dose is definitely bad.
 
Saw my OS a week and a half ago and said that my mobility during surgery was limited (he got to about 90) and he had to snip my quad (because of muscle and tendon tightness to even get to the knee to revise it) that it would take awhile for me to gain quad strength (it's basically dead, still not firing at 9 weeks) and a good range of motion.

Anyway, PT keeps threatening me with a MUA because ROM is about 85, extension is about -3/5. My OS assured me that he will not do MUA because it would likely tear more soft tissues that are so tight from either years of arthritis, past surgeries and or challenges from having MS.

I'm working hard trying to get stronger. I cut PT back to once a week and have been taking aquatic classes at a local senior center (yes I'm a young senior at 50!) 3 times a week.

I'm frustrated, tired and depressed! My knee IS more stable and less painful; however, do I just live with a ROM of 85? If the surgeon could only get about 90 under anesthesia what are my goals for recovery?
 
I think you have to allow your knee extra time. You've had a difficult revision and your quad was snipped and is still sleeping. So, it's not going to progress as fast as you (or your PT) would like.
Don't forget to tell that PT that your surgeon is aware of this and has said he will not do an MUA, so she can stop threatening you with the prospect of one.

No, you don't have to contemplate living with a ROM of 85. It's still only less than 2 months since your latest surgery and ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even much longer. There's no deadline you have to meet.
Remember this? - Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

This is what one of our members wrote about the slow progress of her ROM - she also had a quad that took a long time to wake up. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"
 
I would think if the surgeon could get it to 90 then at least 90 is "in there" so to speak. Over many months and with stretching and doing normal daily activities I wouldn't be surprised if you get a bit more bend.
 
Thanks @Celle for posting the range progression from @Campervan It helps to know that I'm not the only turtle in this race! I hope you're right about gaining more ROM @kneeper. It's so easy to give up! I've been fighting this battle for two long years!
 
Im also a 'turtle' in gaining flexion. You are not alone. I'm three months past my last surgery and I'm just breaking 90 degrees. It's ok to move slowly as long as you keep moving!
 
One more thing... my first day of PT after the revision my leg was sooo sore. It was sore to touch. PT sent me immediately to have ultrasound to rule out blood clots. Since there were not clots, I chalked it up to bruising. I am African American so my skin in medium brown in color so it's really difficult to see bruises.

But at 8 weeks, my leg is still sore. It runs from the outside of my leg from my knee to almost my ankle. It's not as sore but massaging it hurts. Yesterday while walking in the pool, I had to avoid the outward jets because that pressure on my leg really hurt.

My question, is it normal to still be this sore at 8 weeks? I don't remember this much soreness with the original TKR bit maybe because with the revision, the surgeon used longer stems.
 
I think that it could still be soreness left over from the surgery. Try to avoid anything that increases your pain, including the massage.
 
Here's a picture for people moving forward slowly:
[Bonesmart.org] Here I go again!<<.
Remember the race between the tortoise and the hare. The tortoise won, because he kept moving steadily forward.
 
hi Jordon6...i have that pain you describe running down the outside of your leg but i just got it recently from a home exercise balancing on the operated leg. i had soreness and stiffness at 8 weeks also, still do but not as much at 3-1/2 months. my range of motion at best is 95 degrees, not sure about extension. i have stubborn swelling which is probably what is limiting my r.o.m. there is another member @bertschb that was stuck at 90 degrees for several months and is doing fine now. there are several of us "slow benders" here trying to be patient and going about our everyday lives. i do hope you will get well beyond 85 degrees r.o.m. with patience and taking care of yourself, not overdoing it. there are other modalities that might help when you're up to it: massage, laser, tens ~ recently i've had "cupping" and for the first time acupuncture. best wishes to you.:flwrysmile:
 
@kmak81230 i don't know the easy way but click on his name @bertschb, then profile page, then postings ~ i think his thread is 60 degrees r.o.m. .......... his story is very inspiring.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom