Guest viewing is limited

MUA Help<

I am taking 1 hydrocodone every 4-6 hours. Icing and elevating for 20-25 minutes.
 
You need to ice and elevate much longer than that. I iced and elevated the whole time I was down for the first couple of months. As long as you have a thin cloth between your knee and the ice pad, you can ice indefinitely. The longer you ice and elevate, the more your knee is getting that swelling and pain down.
 
1. Pain level 6
Hm, that's quite a lot of pain
2. 1 Hydrocodone 7.5-325, 3x's a day
And that's not enough pain meds. You should be taking 2 tablets 3 times a day
3. Moderate
Okay
4. As of today 83degrees flexion -11
Not good. And probably linked to the swelling
5. Ice 2-3 times a day 20-25 minutes
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Elevate the same
That too!
7. Do 75% of housework, all the laundry, shopping with help, and all the cooking.
Okay

Exercises at home at night
leg raises on back 3 x10 - once you can do SLRs, you don't need to do them any more!
leg raises on side 3 x10 - the same goes here
ankle bends 3 x10 - this is just for the early days when you weren't very mobile. If you're shopping now, you certainly don't need to do these!
leg presses 3 x10 - there is a myth that this improves extension but it doesn't. If anything it will make it worse. Walking is the best memory here
sitting on edge of bed bending 10 times and holding for 10 - 5 times - as for these, they will not improve your flexion. Again, the best thing for this is walking but only as you would do in your ordinary, everyday activities.

PT (3x's a week)
a lot of bending and stretching by PT
total gym set to 7. Bending holding for 10, stretching holding for 10 fifteen times.
soft tissue laser treatments.
stim and ice for 15 minutes

I suggest you quit these too. There are really not doing you any good. I think you would improve a lot more and faster if you stopped them and allowed your swelling to go down. THAT's what is impeding your ROM. Trust me.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Thank you very much for the feedback. I have stopped all excerises at home. Unfortunately Dr's office is only allowing one more refill. I have been doing more walking and before I quit PT I plan on asking him to please go easy on me.

I have had 2 MLS laser treatments and it has helped with the pain. I have to wait 24 hours to ice because icing can undo the effects of the treatment.

Started back to work I am a teachers aide for special needs students. My new friend is going to be an ice pack.

Oh and after 10 weeks I finally feel comfortable enough to drive short distances.
Thank you again!
 
before I quit PT I plan on asking him to please go easy on me.
Be firm and say no to what you don’t feel you can do. You are in charge , not them.

PT is an option, not the requirement we are led to believe, therefore, everything you do there is optional.
 
I have a couple of more questions. Why does the leg of my new knee feel longer? Also after any type of exercise it hurts like a son of a gun to straighten out my knee.
 
You shouldn't hurt after exercise. If so, then you are doing too much. Back off some of it and see if the pain lessons. I don't know about the leg feeling longer. I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum director and nurse to address your concerns.
 
Did you read the answers I left you previously? (post #23)
 
Yes I did. It hurts to straighten even sitting with the knee bent. It hurts to release.
 
Yes I did
Then why aren't you applying my suggestions?
I suggest you quit these too. There are really not doing you any good. I think you would improve a lot more and faster if you stopped them and allowed your swelling to go down. THAT's what is impeding your ROM. Trust me.
Also after any type of exercise it hurts like a son of a gun to straighten out my knee.
DON'T do any exercises!
Why does the leg of my new knee feel longer?
Was your knee deformed - like knock-kneed before surgery?
 
Not that I am aware of. Was told I had end stage arthritis (bone on bone).
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom