Guest viewing is limited

Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Guys. I just finished my packing. It's kicking in right now that in less than 24 hours I am having my right hip replaced. This time tomorrow I will be recovering from my surgery. Little nervous right now. Good thing is my surgery is at 10 am. I get my regular sleep.
 
Hi @Was_86 - Just relax, let the professionals do what they need to do! you'll be back home in a few days with no arthritis pain. All the best!
 
@Was_86

Hoping all goes well with your new shiny hip. It will be painful but nothing like the bone on bone hip before!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom

I emailed my doctor 10 times within last two hours!!!. I am not worried about pain or swelling. I am worried about using crutches to walk. I probably will get very little sleep tonight. The fact that I am basically stuck in my bed for couple of weeks sounds frightening. Thanks
 
Why are you worried about the crutches? Do you not have any? You can get them at the hospital. They aren't going to let you leave before you show them you can use crutches on the stairs with confidence. I couldn't believe on the second day, I was being asked to do that but very manageable. Don't need to go the tmi I route but make sure you have stool softener as the drugs can cause wicked constipation....it is a side effect everyone experiences......drink tons of water, as well as keeping your electrolytes balanced.

Yes you will be in bed but you will find out it just takes a lot of time to do the simplest thing such as rollover, getting out of bed and these things take a lot of energy.....so you will be glad to be in bed......

You got this!

Cheryl
 
Why would you be stuck in bed for a couple of weeks? Most people are up and about with a walker or crutches the day of their THR.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@CanukTriMom Lol, I have never used crutches in my life. I am afraid of that, other than nothing to be honest.


@alexthecat my doctor made me take six weeks off from work. My day is usually long work from work and gym. The fact that I am basically changing my lifestyle for couple of weeks will be an adjustment.

These freaking wipes is giving me hives. I don't know why I have to clean my entire body. The night before and tomorrow morning. My doctor made me use hibiclens for last 5 days and they itch as well.
 
Hi there:

I'm about ready to go do my wipedown, too! I just took my shower with Dial soap and have to wait 40 more minutes. My surgery is at 7:30 a.m., so no showers in the morning. Just another wipedown at the hospital.

I have to take a gabapentin before I go to bed. What about you?

P.S.: I hope it makes me sleep. 4:30 is going to come awfully early!
 
@kcmocook

Congratulations!!!!! ROYALS are advancing. My doc had me using hibiclens to wash my body for last 5 days. I just wiped my whole body and my skin is itching. I have sensitive skins. I have to wipe my body again tomorrow morning before leaving. Most probably an another wipe down at the hospital. This is ridiculous!!!! Constipation sound scary as well.

My surgery is later in the day. My check in time is 9:30 am. I get my regular sleep. I met my nurses and my PT friday afternoon. They all are females and young just like me. I am looking forward for my two night stay.

Anyway, get some rest and good luck. See you on other side. :-)
 
You won't be stuck in bed for two week. You ended to get up and get moving on a regular basis. They even get you on the stairs before you go home. Check out my recovery thread. It's been a pretty good one.

Good luck tomorrow!
 
Ha! Ha! I bet you are! I know it's a hassle, but we don't want to get any infections.

When you're recovering, get some nice soothing skin lotion, maybe something with some aloe to alleviate the itching.

Yes. The Royals are doing great! It's exciting. At the hospital I'm going to, the orthopedic rooms are all private (again for infection control purposes) so I hope to see some good games. Too bad the Chiefs blew out today.

AH!!! There go the fireworks!

I'm not going to fiddle with posting while I'm in the hospital, so I will check in when I get home, hopefully Thursday afternoon.

Take care!
 
@Was_86 ..... You will likely be using a walker in the hospital and in your first days or weeks at home. The crutches will be your option. Some folks opt to continue with a walker and then move directly to a cane when they are steady and strong enough. The important thing is to have good support while you are relearning your proper gait.

@CanukTriMom .... in the USA, it would be rare for crutches to be available at the hospital. Most insurance covers walkers but not crutches....silly, I know....but that's the deal.

Many hospitals want you to bring your own crutches or walker if you have them. A lot of insurance companies will cover a walker and it's possible that the hospital would issue you one. But you'll need to ask about that. These items can be purchased easily at most drug stores like CVS or Walgreens or rented through a medical equipment supplier.
 
@Jamie

Wow I didn't realize that hospitals in the US didn't have crutches you could rent or purchase! I should have suggested a drugstore like Walgreens.

Cheryl
 
Yes, it seems strange to me too. For some reason insurance companies won't pay for crutches and that seems to be the driver. Years ago, crutches were freely provided as part of treatment. If a patient didn't have family or friends that could go out and purchase or rent them, I'm sure a person could get them before discharge. There is always a pharmacy and drug store in a hospital, but the cost would probably be greater than if you just went to your local drugstore. Another good resource for crutches is the Goodwill or another type of second-hand store.
 
@Was_86, to reiterate what @muckingabout said, you won't be stuck in your bed.. You will have your daily PT sessions and short trips around the house. Just make sure you don't overdo it because it will feel like you can do more and you really need to just chill out and give your body time to rest and heal. If you heed that advice you will be so much happier and thankful in the long run. It's really important for the first week to just relax and not to do anything stupid.
 
As others have said, being off work for six weeks is not the same as being stuck in bed. Also, if you feel safer using a walker, rather than crutches, it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of people go straight from walker to came, without ever using crutches at all.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
I havenr really seen crutches for hip replacements here. I used a walker for two weeks and a cane for 4. I'm not sure where crutches fit in.
 
I am going into my third week with crutches but got the okay yesterday to use one at home but two outside. I used my walker twice but the PT felt the crutches were better suited for my level of fitness...read ....I was walking too fast as it had 4 wheels. I will graduate to a cane at 4 weeks but only if my gait looks good meaning pulling my knee up as I walk and going toe to heel. I think it is just the preference of the PT.

Cheryl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom