Guest viewing is limited

Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Was_86 , Hopefully you listen to the professional people that are helping you. As a Professional Master Trainer for over 35 years you must heal. Do 115% on your fuel to help heal your body. With this approach you are giving your life force the greatest ability to repair at it's highest level. You do not control the process internally. Remember when you force 110% on healing soft tissue you have microtrauma. Good Luck
 
I think the decrease in mobility is the hardest part of all this. But soon you will be on the recovery road. All that bone on bone pain gone!
 
@Was_86 , please listen to what these fine people have to say here. The going balls out 115% is a recipe for disaster. I had bilateral hip replacements and just listened to what my body was telling me. Allowed time to heal, took it easy, didn't go crazy or overdo things and I was back on the mat doing light brazilian jiu-jitsu at 9 weeks with no looking back. I was working from home by the 2nd week part time and by the 3rd week I was back to full time hours but again I worked from home as a programmer so my job allowed this luxury. If you take it easy and allow your body to heal you will see much better results.
 
Yesterday was the first time I fell trying to walk up the stairs. I have a mold bruise on my right elbow. Had my pre clearance today and saturday I meet with my anesthetic and my nurses. I just can't wait for 10/6 already!!!!! Tired of being handicapped not able to move freely.

Brother your preaching to a choir here, striving for independence and self sufficiency, touring europe for three+ years to 1 step away from bed ridden, the loss of independence and freedom is I would wager the greatest of things one looses when disabled, and that doesnt always mean "wheel chair bound" or hospital bound etc., even little things just eat away at your emotions and psyche, there are time I won't even shower in my house unless my wife is close, for fear of falling etc.

Now I promise I am not trying to 1up or anything, but to share your pain so to speak. Here is the good news however, at 4 weeks post op before things turned south for me, I was 80% or better back towards "normal", would I of gone sky diving or surfing, probably not, but jogging or climbing an old castle would of been a breeze. Just remember that once you can go back to work, its just the start it really does take a few months for that new bone growth to occur and really stabilize that stem. best of luck brother, and keep us posted.
 
Hi Was

I will echo everyone else's thoughts on recovery best to take it easy and a slow recovery is best, don't get me wrong you are a young man and have youth on your side and that will help. I listened to the tips given by the top brass on here and was back at work after 11 weeks and thought that was pretty good. To rush things might cause setbacks so take care Was but wish you all the best in your recovery when it comes

Billy
 
@bsilvers @cryinsham30 @Michegon thank you!!!!! I appreciate all your inputs. This site has been a blessing. I have learned so much about hip replacement thanks to site. I was privileged to speak to many wonderful people and hear their inputs. I promise I won't do anything insane. I will follow PT guidance and will listen to my surgeon.

10 more days till my surgery and I can't wait!!!! I want relief. I barely get any sleep at night's. Thanks again and looking forward on being other side.
 
The waiting for surgery is always the most difficult part. Just be careful and watch yourself! You don't want an injury or anything to delay what you've planned so hard for.
 
WEll, brother, looks like we may be rehab buddies. Formal word today is that my implant has failed and revision is in fact necessary. Looks like I will be having surgery about the middle of the month depending on when surgeon gets a specially made extractor delivered from a doctor in MN. Just have to wait until after the 10th which is both of my daughters home coming performance (band and marching band).
 
@Was_86, your time is getting near. Prayers for a very textbook surgery and uneventful recovery!! I'll be watching for you on the other side.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Surgery is only 5 days away and last month was tough Because of pain and and the fact I couldn't do any sort of exercise. Anyway, I saw someone post saying HER Recovery was quick because she exercise before her surgery. I am taking the same approach. I had a great lower back and upper leg work out. My trainer was stretching my my hip. I actually cried of the stiffness pain. But it felt good. I have AVN on both hip. I am getting my right one replaced next monday. I am pretty sure left one is that far away. I heard minimum 10 times the bone popping sound. Goal is next four days make my whole body sore from exercise. By monday whole body is on recovery mode.

Anyway met a guy today who had his hip replaced. His suggestions was drink plenty of protein shakes. At this stage I basically open to any idea. Goal is consume minimum 100 grams each day for couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all your Advise
 
I'm 8 weeks in and doing pretty well. I can walk as far as a like (it's funny looking for ways to add, steps when I was always trying to avoid them!) I'm off most restrictions and working to regain my range of motion. BUT. Keep in mind that the OS will be taking power tools to some of the largest bones in your body. It's no joke.

The toughest thing for me to deal with was the much talked about energy drain. I was expecting maybe needing an afternoon nap, not falling asleep in my chair from the exertion of getting dressed ing the morning. It passes though.

Try to go into it with the intention of working hard at rehabbing without having too many expectations.
 
@Was_86 good luck on Monday. I can't wait to hear how you are doing. I am one day behind you. I agree with you. @gazelle7777 has been a great help. 2 more sleeps and a new bionic hip. Woohoo!!
 
Hello! I am getting my left hip done on Monday, too. My regret is that I put so much time between when I scheduled the appointment and the actual surgery date. I spent a lot of it just frittering away the days and not being productive, thus generating a bit of anxiety. Also opened a window of opportunity for concerned friends and family to come up with all types of "scenarios" -- such as my steep steps, etc. On the plus side, I was able to do a fair amount of cooking and freezing of meals, so I'll only need to have helpers fetch fresh produce, dairy, etc. for a few weeks until I can drive.

I'm finding that I am easily accomplishing yesterday (and today and a bit tomorrow) what I thought I'd need about 10 weeks to do. But... for example, today is nearly a perfect day weather-wise. It's a bit on the cool side and very low humidity. Actually, my bad hip doesn't feel too bad today. The weather is supposed to be about the same for next week. I think I will get to go home on Thursday. Now that I recall, that's part of the reason that drove my decision to wait. My joints are very sensitive to humidity.

I had my pre-op on Wednesday. That was a terrible pain day. The temperature was trying to push from close to 80 into the lower 60's and it poured rain on an off that day and Tuesday and Thursday. Fortunately, I had a ride and dodged any rain. The scheduling nurse who did the phone intake told me my joint replacement class was at 1:15. When I got there about 12:50, I was told the class started at noon. GRRRRrrrrrr... She'd also told me wrong location. When I finally arrived the class, I found out that the hospital had me in the system as needing a KNEE replacement. Good fun. The nurse had me stay after the meeting and went over a few things with me -- no big deal and the presentation was based on a booklet she handed to me, which was more or less the same booklet the OS office sent me several months ago. I met a nice lady who is with the same OS group as I am. She is having a knee replacement the same time I'm having my surgery. We'll hook up in rehab.

Other than that, I had a wonky wheelchair. It was too small and something was amiss with the left side where you rest your leg and foot. It was very uncomfortable and nobody seemed to be able to locate a better one. The phone intake nurse also told me that I was to have a chest x-ray and EKG and then I was told that my surgeon didn't require that. That could have really thrown my ride off schedule, but he was early, so it worked out. I met the anesthesiologist and she was very nice and told me I'd be having a general, which was my preference.

Another good thing is that the orthopedic floor is all private rooms, for infection control purposes. They also sent me home with my own BP cuff and finger clip for taking my vitals. I have to take that back with me on Monday.
The OS office said that the patients had to stay for the 3:00 p.m. group PT session on the day of discharge and the hospital said patients were discharged at noon.

All of this miscommunication is irritating me. I just want for this to be over with. Tomorrow is a day of football to distract me and hopefully the KC Royals game will be on TV Monday night (if I'm not zonked out!) However, I'm not letting them give me a single dose of meds until I've met with my OS and he's marked my LEFT HIP for surgery!! LOL! Don't mean to sound so perpetually cranky, but I get so annoyed with health care delivery in general. I won't even go into the story about all of the hassle I had to go through to get Apria to deliver my walker to my apartment.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into snafus. Good luck to @Was_86 and all of the other October Fiesties!
 
The best part about living in NYC is that you can get take out any time of the day or night!!
 
@Was_86, good luck tomorrow and I'll be waiting for you on the other side! Prayers!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom