TKR Help! I've developed right hip pain 3 months after LTKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are doing well! No familiarity with Jacksonville but I flew out of North Carolina with a friend who had just had her ankle replaced and the "pat down" was more like a full body exam right there in the open. It seemed to be worse as she was wearing lots of layers and loose things, when I fly the first time I'll be going with close fitted things that they shouldn't have to search too much to see I'm not conceiling anything!!

We did use the wheel chair service and they helped get her thru more quickly than we ever would on our own and we did end up tipping him - quite a lot, actually, without him we'd never have made our flight!
 
@sunny-island if they have Xray machine you will be fine, I don't see that would alarm I also have a card now which says I had knee replacement, but did not have that before. How did you get the precheck I fly at least twice a year and have all that filled out but never got a number, that would be so nice
 
@TexasTee Yikes! That sounds awful. I'm going to have to put some careful thought into my travel outfit. Maybe something like crop pants and a shirt. No jacket, no overshirt until onboard the plane. This is making me nervous.

@madinana That card won't help you, sorry to say. I have one, too. My husband asked a TSA agent about it and was told they might look at it but it won't get you through security. Apparently those cards are easy to fake.
 
Thanks @TexasTee My husband just assured me that the JAX airport will allow me to go thru x-ray without pat down. Hope he's right.

@madinana I forgot to answer your question about TSA Pre-check. I went online and filled out the application. Then I scheduled an in-person appointment where they looked at my documents, took my picture, asked a few questions and then they submitted the application. It costs $85 for a 5 year Pre-check number. It took a couple weeks to receive the approval in the mail. If you fly internationally a lot you're better off with a Global Entry number. Same application process but a higher fee.

Even without going through all that (not hard) you will sometimes be given pre-check. No idea how they decide who gets it when, but by paying for it I've gotten it every time. They did tell me that it's a Federal program and there's no guarantee I'll get it even if I pay. But both my husband and I have always been given the pre-check mark on our boarding passes. The only exception was the one time he flew Southwest, they aren't taking part in the program while they're going thru a merger. I don't like Southwest - I have loyalty miles with United and try to book flights with them most of the time.
 
@sunny-island Hey there, didn't get alerts to your post. We were stationed at Shaw AFB in SC in the late 1970s. We went to Charleston several time. I bet it has really changed by now, it was a long time ago. We fell in love with the Oregon Coast, and we love the chillier weather. Starting to have issues with the damp hot muggy buggy summers in Missouri. I am sure you will do fine on your trip.
 
Not sure who to ask, @tiredwife, do you know? Here's my question: What's the deal with no heat on the knee? I understand icing in the early stages of recovery and to be honest, it still feels great and I still do it. But when I take a nice relaxing hot bath (I have taken all of 3, total, so far) the hot bath water feels so therapeutic and wonderful. I swear it increases my ROM, albeit temporarily. So it stands to reason that a heating pad would do the same thing. No? I am so committed to the Bonesmart way that I won’t use a heating pad without first checking it out here. I’m at 11 weeks now. My knee is still somewhat stiff, warm, a bit swollen & shiny (ROM is about 130-135 on good days) but I can do almost everything I want to do. The major exception is riding my outside bicycle. I need a tiny bit more ROM for that. Patiently waiting, patiently waiting, patiently waiting... Fatigue still pops up too regularly but I don’t ignore it. By the time this is over and done I’ll be a sedentary vegetable. (I hope that was an exaggeration) Thank the good Lord my husband is totally onboard with the BS way. When something new comes up he asks me what Bonesmart says, or more specifically what does Josephine say? The turning point for him was the horrendous PT experience I had as he was there with me for all of those sessions. I know he was biting his tongue wanting to tell my first PT guy to lay off. But, like me, he thought this guy was the expert. Looking back, I don’t regret the experience at all because I learned a lot and watching my dear husband suffer along with me made me love him even more – so that’s not bad after 46 years of marriage! Well, that’s off the subject, isn’t it?

I have a question for you, @TexasTee, about wheelchairs in airports. I need to stop obsessing about this... Anyway, I've signed up online with my United AL rez so they know I will need a wheelchair in the airport. However, I don't think I need it, or want it, in the Jacksonville airport. I do want it at ORD and LAX. So, do I need to let them know ahead of time that I'm being selective about this or is that a bad idea? Would it be better to let them give me the wheelchair treatment at all three airports? Will it expedite TSA security at Jacksonville?

Thanks ya'll, in advance!

~Jean
 
Hi @sunny-island - personally, I'd just go with the wheel chair assistance at all the sites - picture getting stuck in a long line or someone knocking into the knee with a bag to start your trip? I hate feeling like an invalid but in this one, I think I'd go conservative.
 
@sunny-island heat draws fluid to the area, so therefore it may cause more swelling. If you don't see it swelling any more and it feels good, I wouldn't worry about it much! Just watch for the swelling! Glad your hubby is looking out for you!
 
Maybe you're right @TexasTee. I can't help but feel guilty about it in a way. I can walk to that first gate, no problem, and somone who really needs the help should have it. When we get home I will post my experiences with TSA and these various airports in the thread Josephine told me about.

@tiredwife, that's the reason I've read before and even tho I still have some lingering swelling I don't notice additional swelling after a hot bath. Many people have hydro therapy in very warm water, too.
 
@sunny-island I think it is mainly if you have heat just on the knee like a heating pad. As long as you don't have any extra swelling I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Officially 11 weeks post-op today.
-walking naturally now
-knee is very stiff, slightly painful, on waking in morning
-I almost always limp for the first 3 or 4 steps, when I get up from sitting, then I walk fine
-still taking Norco @ bedtime most nights
-still taking Norco when waking but not again during day
-ROM staying between 130 & 135
-less fatigue, but still tire easily
-knee still warm and swollen (much less swollen than earlier)
-appetite is back, almost normal, but still eating less
-making progress with stairs but it's still difficult (I'm sure I'd be good at stairs if I had some at home)
-feeling gateful, happy and hopeful like never before!
 
@sunny-island Today is hubby's 11 week and 21 week. Left knee rarely gives him trouble, right knee still has the stiffness issue. He has about the same flex and you do. Some days better, some worse.
He will still nap if he isn't doing something, sleep is still somewhat allusive.
His knees don't really swell much and aren't that warm.
We have stairs, he sometimes goes down them like a 2 year old. I think it is out of years of habit than actual problems with his knees.
He too is glad he had it done.
You two seem to be pretty much at the same part of healing.
Keep up the good work.
 
@tiredwife. I just realized that today is Wednesday not Tuesday - it's not a big deal but yesterday was the 11 week mark, not today. Duh! Oh well, maybe it's a good thing that I'm no longer so obsessed with this. However, it's at this point that I'm more likely to overdo it. Just this morning I went shopping, had to stand in line more than ten minutes and found myself rocking from one foot to the other. My knee wasn't happy. It's more uncomfortable to just stand than it is to keep walking. I was wondering 'Do I really need this stuff? Maybe I should get outta here!' But I stuck it out. Good for me. My stubborn streak is gonna be the death of me.

Resting, icing....
 
@sunny-island Yea, hubby overdid it today too. He mowed and we cleaned up some junk out of the back yard, and he sawed up a branch. We drained the pond and I got most of my lilies and some other plants out of it, we are going to spray all the mint that is trying to take over the pond. We took the fish to the pet shop and got store credit so we can get some more fish when we start it back up in the spring. We also went to the store and got vegetation kill for the mint. He is now elevating and resting. He doesn't ice much anymore. Proud that you made it through shopping.
 
That's physical labor @tiredwife. I'm impressed! Mint... oh man, that can take over a field. I love to plant mint but I hate how invasive it is. Unlike zucchini, you can't make a casserole out of it. I've tried growing mint in a pot, one year it did great and overflowed the pot looking beautiful but the next year it was unhappy and faded. It really wants to be in the ground. My husband is out of town this week and I gave (fleeting) thought to doing some yard cleanup but got a hold of myself in time. Here in Florida the grass is still green and the garden is still blooming but it's overgrown and I want to cut back everything. When dear husband comes home Friday he will do it - he actually loves to work in the garden - and I can sit on the porch and cheer him on! You have a pond - so do we. They are vastly different though - I can tell from your goldfish. The pond behind our house has an alligator in it. He'd love to have a goldfish, I'm sure.
 
@sunny-island our pond is about 750 gallon with about 5 waterfalls. NO GATORS! How big is your gator?
I thought the mint would be trapped with pond on one side and walk ways on the other 3 sides. It decided it liked living in our pond! That stuff is worse than kudzu! I got some spray that will even kill poison ivy so I hope it will kill out the mint.
 
@tiredwife Five waterfalls! Is your pond multi-level? I love the peaceful sound of a waterfall; we have one (only one) in our pool and it comes on everyday, I love it.

Our gator is about 5' long. I tried to post a picture but was told the file was too large. Is there a secret to this? I tried once before - same message. Our pics aren't unusally large.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom