Guest viewing is limited

Hello, it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Roxxy. I agree 6 weeks willl pass quickly. I had surgey on 12th Sept and was expecting to be back at work after half term. however due to problems found i had to non weight bear for 6 weeks. I started walking on tuesday but dont think i will get back at work until Dec. i just try to tell myself its a small price to pay for a lifetime of use by my new hip.:flwrysmile:
 
Well done on having that pain under control! This early out that's great news!
 
Hi Roxxy! Hang in there girl. Your attitude and approach to this surgery and your little setback are inspirational to those of us who are just waiting to make it to the "other side."

Best wishes,
Tammy
 
Hey Roxxy, love reading your posts... 14 Nov is coming around quickly......
 
Hi to all the hippies,

Just a quick hi, I've been reading everyone's posts and find them all great encouragement and am also finding answers to a lot of my own questions in your posts!

Well I am due my review appt on Wednesday at 9.30am, 7 weeks and 2 days post surgery. I am soooooooo excited! I feel great and my hip feels so strong, no pain or anything. However as you know I am still wearing the abduction brace so progress as regards walking and building up my muscles has been delayed. I feel so good that I think he will tell me to take off the brace, I think I will dump it on the side of the road if he says that lol!!! Sooo sick of it! I have plans to be able to stroll around the shops crutch free and with confidence before Christmas to buy some presents for people rather than having to buy them all on online!!!

Anyway please think of me on wednesday morning and send good vibes my way for the dumping of this undesirable brace!!

Again thanks for being here!

Roxxy xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
It sounds as if the best Christmas present for you and those little boys is you without a brace! I'm wishing that for you. You sound so postive and upbeat.
 
Thanks Cookie. I hope you are doing ok? Lovely photo of you there with 2 hàndsome kids. I'm upbeat at the moment as I'm excited to meet with consultant and I suppose I have been more up than down over past 7 weeks. But I've had my down days too believe me! The restrictions have been tough, I have been really reliant on others and the boredom has been horrible!!! I haven't been able to shower due to brace so have been bedbathing.....just not the same! Roll on showers!!
Anyway I said I wouldn't moan as really I feel good......onwards and upwards.

Take care of you x
 
Roxxy,

Good luck to you this week and I will be thinking of you. I am not familiar with the brace you mention but i have personally been stunned :shocked: with every brace or cast I have ever worn how weak various muscles felt in the immediate hours or days after I went without it. Like I said, I don't know the brace you mention, but will this be one of those cases where a variety of muscles are going to suddenly get to go it alone ("stand on their own" if you will) and be surprisingly weak?

I'm not being negative...just wondering if you need to be ready for a new round of strengthening post brace.

Glad to see you checking in!

Z
 
Hi Z,

Thanks for your well wishes.

Yep I'm fully prepared for all the strenghtening that lies ahead and have been since before my surgery. Aside from the brace I would have needed months of physio anyway, I have easily 10 years of not using a lot of my muscles, I never put much weight on my right leg hence very weak muscles. In other words me being positive is exactly that, no point being too worried about the inevitable intensive physio I reckon! I'm well used to it having been in several casts when I was younger! My poor muscles eh!?

R
 
Hi all,

As from my other posts you may know I as a RTHR on 24th September, 8 weeks ago. During surgery they also had to split my femur as it was curved and then femur was bone grafted. Subsequently I was in an abduction brace until last Wednesday when I had my review appointment. Doc was happy with ball and socket but discovered a small crack at the bottom of the prosthesis in my femur, I have a very narrow femur bone. So as a result, and due to my bone graft needing more time to heal, I have to stat non weight bearing and on 2 crutches until mid February. I am devastated, in total that will be 5 months since surgery before I can even consider dumping even one crutch. With 2 small kiddies it's really hard. I have an amazing husband, who has been fantastic but he obviously has to work. My mom has been great too but I am finding it hard to be reliant on others and with nearly 3 more months of reliance ahead, I'm cracking up.

Just wanted a moan to some other hippies!! Anyone here know of anyone with such a long recovery? Are femur cracks common ?

On a positive note the brace is off and I ave zero Ian but still.....

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
R
 
I can't say I M in your same boat, but you have my sympathies. That is a looong time to be on crutches!! Especially when you are expecting to be starting to work your way off them :sad: sending you a sympathy hug from Seattle..

-nerdgrrl
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hello, it's done!
 
I can only imagine your frustration but it will be worth it in the end. After all, what other choice do you have?
 
Well, since you asked about long recoveries, I have a story for you. :) I fractured my hip in June 2009. I had four surgeries in the next nine months. I was in a wheelchair or on crutches during that entire time. Following my fourth hip surgery, I was finally able to walk independently in April 2010, almost ten months after the original injury.

Just keep moving forward. You'll get there, I promise.
 
Back in 1980 when I was 22, I had some osteotomies on my femur and on my pelvis trying to get more coverage on the ball. The pelvis got osteomyelitis. I was in and out of the hospital for a year and 4 months. 6 weeks of IV antibiotics, surgeries to clean out the infection and a few days to maybe a couple weeks at home before it flared again and I was back in for another 6 weeks of IV antibiotics with multiple surgeries to clean it out again. I stopped counting after 28 surgeries.
 
Roxxy-
I am so sorry to hear your news. The only way to get through it is to stay positive. I feel your frustration, but my situation seems small compared to yours, so I will be thinking about you. I have a little baby boy and have been non weight bearing for 5 weeks. I go next week to see if I can start "walking". I know how difficult it is to have young children and be on crutches and depend on others. Someone told me that "others want to help you and want you to get better" so don't be afraid to ask and get the help you need.
 
Yep I'll stay positive! As Josephine says what else can I do! However difficult it is on crutches I do feel 100 times better than I did before my surgery when I was crutchless! To be with crutches and painless is better than being in pain and without!

A quick question re clicking around hip area. For the last couple of days I feel the odd little click when I turn, now it is barely noticeable but definitely happens. There is no pain associated with it at all. Common?

And..my scar is quite tender to touch, this is only recent as it was not tender last week. I presume this is just part of the healing process? I I have a lot of old scars from osteotomies when I was young, 25/30 years ago, and these remain quite numb all these years later. Do you think my new scar will eventually become numb?.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone! :angel:
 
Roxxy, I think you can read about noise issues in a thread in the Recovery side of the forum. I would link it here, but don't know how. I empathize with your situation and wish you peace of mind in your recovery. Believe it or not, February will be here before you know it. I was so happy to read that you were able to get rid of that brace. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Tammy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom