BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Hedie's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Hedie, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Hedie

Hedie junior member

United States United States
    I'm on day 4 post surgery. I could not sleep lastnight not because of pain. I finally passed out on my side for 6 hours. Big mistake woke up in pain and stiff. Got pain under control. I ordered a pillow thing to help elevate my feet. Doing ice on my knee even though its still bandage up. My nauesa is finally gone. I'm bored out of my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sorry you had a rough night. I get the boredom-I, too, was bored out of my gourd until I could once again do things. But, it will pass.
    Would you please give us the date of your surgery? I'm assuming a TKR on July 9th; if that's correct let us know, plus which knee? Thanks.

3. winemama

winemama senior

Are you keeping up with your meds?? I’m impressed you could lay on your side listen, you have many weeks to go, if you are bored now, you are going to have a long recovery. Find some show to binge, relax, sleep

4. Benay

Benay graduate

A bunch of us were binge watchers early on, it really kept me amused day and night. Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO. Forum members recommending their favorites, I miss it. @LaxMom @winemama @luvcats hope I didn't miss anyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. knee#2

knee#2 member

I have been cautiously (at first) reading about others journeys but having previous TKR 6 years ago with so much painful PT I was naturally expecting to have to work very hard from day 1. Plus I was also told repeatedly about “the window” so these stories have encouraged me even at week 11!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hedie

Hedie junior member

I'm doing puzzle and games on ipad to pass the time. Problem is I never been one to watch movies, im more of a reader. I'm reading other people post. I'm at least turning on movies and listing to them as I do puzzle. Laying on my side is the only way I'm getting sleep right now (help of pillows). I took a shower with help and did not get knee wet. Pain has been manageable today with pain medicine. I only threaten to throw everyone out the house including the dogs once today lol. So pretty good day. I'm doing leg exercise nothing major just lift a little and bend a little. The worst thing today is my Crohns acting up. Hard to run to the bathroom with a walker. I know the pain medicine is causing some of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Benay

Benay graduate

Still find reading other's threads fascinating. We all have lots in common and at least parts of everyone's experience has made up my whole. You don't feel alone in this new world, unsure how I would have handled the highs and lows of recovery without this resource and my close surgery buddies to rely on, @RAD @Rather @LaxMom @winemama and probably many others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. winemama

winemama senior

@Benay ahhhhh thanks. I try and read everyone’s blogs, I’m so impressed with the kindness

9. knee#2

knee#2 member

So difficult to hurry to bathroom with your walker! Maybe too much info but big girl pull-ups saved me! :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. luvcats

luvcats graduate

I'm normally a reader too, but the first early days, I'm so glad I'd prepped a watch list. I don't think I could have focused on a puzzle. Even now I find myself drifting if I try to play a game. My hat is off to you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TortiTabby

TortiTabby junior member

I'm a big reader too, I even saved a novel to read during recover. I think I got to chapter four. It's all a blur. Several weeks later I had to start the book all over again because I didn't remember a thing I read! :heehee:
    I think I just played games on the iPad but, with Oxycodone I barely remember much at all.

12. Ladyala

Ladyala member

Hi!
    I've been hanging out on FB too much & binge watching Gilmore girls. Im a reader but tend to get distracted by my phone so I've not been reading as much as I'd like.

Im sorry you are having a hard time. I got depressed the first couple weeks. This is no joke!! Im at 4 weeks today & dealing with nerve pain now. No fun but I've been assured it gets better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hedie

Hedie junior member

I decided I do not need exercise for my knee. The muscle spasms are doing it for me. I was sound asleep I had muscle spasm my leg jumped and bent completely. I shoot up in bed from the pain of what just happened. Now my knee is hurting I'm not due for pain pill for 2 hrs. Getting ice pack out hopefully it will help. I rather woke up to a bucket of ice. Anyone else have problems with muscle spasms?

14. knee#2

knee#2 member

Hello @Hedie ! I’m still awake and saw your post, yes I experienced muscle spasms in thigh, knee and lower quad.. nothing like what you just described but definitely muscle spasms. It’s been few weeks for me and I was on Vicodin for the first month or maybe longer but it seems I might’ve used heat/ice alternately? You are only about week out I think according to your signature and still in the awfulness of it. It will get better. I promise.

First couple weeks are hardest. As everyone has told you! My sciatica joint on same side also really gave me fits and the heat felt so good and since the heating pad was close by I used it on quad and thigh as well, not just on knee.

Not wanting to give you wrong advice but if those spasms continue you might try even gel pack or one of those rubber warm water bottle things wrapped securely. Hoping you get through night w/o anymore of those jumpy spasms! If this keeps up you might ask @Jockette in morning, hugs. Zann

15. Hedie

Hedie junior member

@knee#2 Thank you, I'm going call the doctor in the morning and tell them I need something for the muscle spasms. I just fallen asleep and I have them. I know in time it will go away but I can not go through this every night. Finally can take pain pill to help with the pain. The ice helped some. Now maybe I can get back to sleep

16. luvcats

luvcats graduate

@Hedie I'm sorry about your muscle spasms. I had them horribly the first few days because my muscles didn't appreciate the major changes in their environment. It had been years since my knee went straight. Even now, when I do a little too much, I get cramps. My go to is magnesium oil. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant and I have had great luck with it.

I hope you get a solid, useful response from your doctor!

• Like Like x 1
  17. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I found that when I had a spasm if I got up and walked a little bit it went away and I could get back to sleep.

18. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't ever recommend using heat on a new knee. It's a jolly good way to ensure you have bad swelling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. knee#2

knee#2 member

@Josephine sorry to if I gave wrong advice, I just meant on lower quads. Warmth, not hot helped me. I didn’t mean anywhere directly on the knee. Ice of course is best..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’ll tag @Josephine to come talk with you.