THR Heavy, pulling feeling?

LHR2019

Country
United States United States
Hello all! I hada slipped epiphysis at age 10. They put in a plate and screws and suggested it come out but it wasnt "necessary" so my parents left it in. Over the years of being inactive due to worry about injuring that hip, I slowly put on weight. I eventually developed a good limp and scoliosis. Finally I've ended up with bilateral hip arthritis, both knees and my right ankle too, all from years of babying the left hip.
I had THR left just last Wednesday. What I find funny is that going into this I was taking 100mgs of tramadol 2x a day depending on how bad the pain was, yet post operatively they thought 25mgs every 6 hrs was enough??? Seriously?? As soon as I was discharged friday I took 100mgs and FINALLY I had manageable pain levels. I have been on tramadol over 6 yrs so for them to think 25mg was going to ease a headache was laughable. I started pt, light leg lifts and simple movements just 2 days after surgery and now I have the PT coming 3x wk for 2 weeks then I will go to outpt pt. I'm conflicted with what I've read about not starting it while still in moderate pain vs starting it to keep the healing moving. What are everyone's thoughts on pain control and do you agree that I need to be comfortable to be able to do daily moving let alone pt. Thanks

Hi @LHR2019, sorry to hear about all of your joint difficulties. One of the advisors will be along soon to answer your concerns regarding your meds and to give you lots of information regarding the importance of icing and elevating, PT and other recovery related subjects. Bone Smart is such a blessing for anyone who has had joint replacement. The best to you in your recovery.

Hello @LHR2019 - and :welome:

Thank you for telling us us the date of your hip replacement and which hip it is. I've put it into your signature for you and I've also added you to the list of October Feisties - people having their hips replaced this October.

You do need to take adequate pain relief on a regular schedule at this stage of your recovery.
Your hip doesn't need lots of PT exercises. It just needs to move gently - and walking around your house will give it all the exercise it needs so early in recovery.
It needs to get a good start on healing before it's stressed with exercises.

Here's the Post-op guidance and reading we give to everyone - lots of good advice and informatoin here:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:and :welome:to the forum!
Lots of great advice from folks who have "been there and done that"
As Celle advises...no need for PT these early days and walking will suffice as lots of healing is happening.
I was pushed into unhelpful PT at 7 days post op with ridiculous leg lifts and other exercises that weren't necessary for early days.
I dropped it and at 5 weeks went to some outpatient PT for gait training primarily.
Glad you are on the healing side... stay chilled :ice:

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I'll join the chorus on PT. It's really not necessary right now. Please allow yourself time to heal a bit rather than risk aggravating the soft tissue that was recently traumatized. Would hate to see your recovery sidelined this early on and engaging in PT this early increases that likelihood.

Stop back often and share your progress. We'd love to follow your healing journey. Happy Wednesday!
@LHR2019

Wow i agree and let me tell ya getting the meds refilled was a darn nightmare today. Hospital released with an rx for 50mgs of tramadol every 6hrs..after i told them 25 was not working...so i then realized i need 100mgs just to be able to feel manageable pain. My aprn sends the rx for the 100 every 6 and now the insurance said it was too early so the pharmacy had to call to get the override. Seriously? My body was cut open, bone was cut out of me, they hammered in a new piece and i have about 40 or so stiches but lets just keep me in pain since thats great for healing and emotional well being NOT! :hairpulling::doh:

I'm sorry. It's awful you have to fight for pain control when you're in need.
Make sure you're icing often. Not sure if you're a fan, but it truly helps with pain and swelling. Ice for no less than 45-60 minutes each time and do it several times daily. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down as I found it really beneficial.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Wednesday!
@LHR2019

I'm sorry. It's awful you have to fight for pain control when you're in need.
Make sure you're icing often. Not sure if you're a fan, but it truly helps with pain and swelling. Ice for no less than 45-60 minutes each time and do it several times daily. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down as I found it really beneficial.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Wednesday!
@LHR2019
Yes icing right now, it does help...i have 3 of those gel packs, one i keep for heating and using in my right knee because arthritis acting up now that im using it more, my hands wrists and thumbs hurt from the walker lol thank you for the advice

Consider the idea of healing progressing by rest
If you sprained something would you work it hard right away?
No way...i wonder how much of this is being pushed by insurance of course and std to get me back to work quickly

PT doesn't equate to a faster recovery at least early
That is the rub. Also there is no standard time for full recovery.
It's seven weeks for me now. I don't pay attention much to my hip. Had no outside PT

Can't conment on why PT is being foisted on you.
How much time off work have you been granted?

Hello @LHR2019 ! Well, it's good you found this forum, everyone here will help you navigate the next few weeks. It can be difficult to stand up and say NO to the PT but seriously, if you are walking hourly or close to that, you will do just fine.
I had a few very easy exercises to do, but they wanted a set of 10 -2 times a day. I usually did around 5 and that was it!
How can they expect so much? Especially since you are having a nightmare with your pain meds. Goodness.. What the heck were they thinking with that low dose!
Hopefully you are happily nestled in a comfy spot with your correct prescription in your possession. Oh and with your leg elevated and packed in ice.. :thumb:

Story sounds familiar, I had the slipped epiphysis and they pinned my left when I was 14. I've had pain but never let it slow me down and never took any pain killers aside from over the counter. Had my left THR Feb 2018. Outside PT was not recommended at all by my OS, his words were they will hurt you. I'm scheduled for my rt. and the same OS and same program.
If you do the PT you might end up like many where the PT hurt so you need pain medication so you can do the PT, very counterproductive. Ice is the trick and for long periods of time. I had an icing machine and if I was sitting I was icing.
I don't know what they told you or what your expectations of returning to work are but this is a slow extended recovery and PT won't make it faster.

In general, I think that achieving pain relief is challenging for many of us. For me, it is the fact that I am unable to take any narcotics except for Tramadol, and unable to take NSAIDS so must rely on acetaminophen and ice. For you, it's that your tolerance has been raised due to the need for pain meds for so many years, and yet the typical protocol doesn't work for you.

I have long felt that more could be done to develop safer pain meds, or make other pain management strategies more available, and covered by more insurances. (Things like acupuncture, supplements, massage, etc.). It feels like narcotics and PT are the "go to" approaches, and they often are in conflict with each other.

I'm sure you are eager to wean yourself off of the narcotics after all of those years, so hopefully once the first weeks of more acute pain have passed you can find relief with the maximum doses of acetaminophen and smaller amounts of Tramadol. What a frustrating time for you to be in such pain and also dealing with insurance protocols that don't necessarily fit your individual needs. Hang in there.

Anyone feel a heavy pulling feeling when you first stand up? Im just a little over a week out and while i don't feel serious pain other than butt cramps...i feel a heavy feeling in my thigh as if it's pulling down when i first stand up. Now that being said i will say im a big girl..but my legs are not, the surgeon even commented that my legs are thinner and have much less fat layers LOL i mean i got heavier over the years of being inactive basically since my first hip surgery in 1980 when i was just 10 yrs old. Back then they said no risky exercise, no gym attendance.. nothing but swimming. They feared if i fell and broke my hip id end up in a wheel chair. Not sure what the thinking was back then. So anyway, yeah, slowly weight piled on and even though ive had gastric sleeve that only works if you keep eating low carb and whatnot but you NEED to exercise. I did lose weight again with low carb no whites but after 6 months i got bored. I have a feeling with this new hip i may be more motivated to keep eating better and staying active if i have less pain! I still ended up with both knees, hips and back with arthritis but i think i will handle it with ibuprofen and smaller doses of tramadol.

Hello @LHR2019. Are you referring to your leg feeling heavy? My leg felt heavy, I couldn't lift it into bed for about 3 weeks post op. it's referred to as log leg. Are you icing and elevating your leg? I elevated both my legs, it was more comfortable in my recliner. I say welcome and someone will be by with an outline of recovery.

@LHR2019
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I had a very heavy feeling in my leg after TKR. What you are experiencing should go away in the next few weeks.

I'm assuming you may be referencing what is commonly known as Log Leg.
Your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscle and soft tissue has been so traumatized it doesn't react. If that's the issue, it's only temporary and eases rather quickly. You can use an assistive device called a Leg Lifter to raise your leg onto the bed, sofa, chair etc. A belt / tie from a bathrobe works just as well.

Following is a list of Recovery Articles where you'll find a Leg Lifter -
Tap the title (in blue) and the article will expand.

If this isn't what you're describing and you continue to be bothered by it, discuss it with your surgeon at your post op visit, or call the office of your OS and I'm sure someone on his care team can offer you reassurance after asking a few questions.
A great week to you!
@LHR2019

Ohh sorry about the new thread...i did read that and misunderstood thinking a new question was a new thread..i understand now..thanks all for the replies, yes its only when i first stand up yet getting into bed i lift it like a pro according to hubby lol he said he sees a big improvement, now if my couch was 3 inches higher i could do everything without him but i still need his strong arms to help pull me or just allow me to use him as leverage. I don't know what i would do without him. He has been the best nurse anyone could ask for. 25 yrs married and im thinking ill keep him:yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom