Guest viewing is limited

THR Healthy hip 12 returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had PT today and he wants to know why I am limping so much. My exercises make me hurt and I limp more when I hurt. It also hurts when i walk, even with a cane. It seems that my brain has learned a pattern of limping, so now when I walk I have to think about putting the heel down and pushing off with toe. My new mantra is "heel toe, heel toe." It is interesting having to relearn how to walk. My PT assures me that walking won't hurt my new hip. I know I have not done any damage because I am pain free ALL NIGHT LONG. ( how wonderful it is!) I am now seeing why people take 4 to 6 weeks off for this. I am very lucky to have a job that gives me full insurance benefits for part time work and let's me make my own hours. They are being so supportive! I am looking forward to a weekend of rest.

If anybody out there has any tips for getting rid of a limp, please let me know. I have great exercise routine, but know I m weak because I have problems with stairs.
 
Hi Catherine,

Whenever I limped during my time in the rehab hospital, the PT would insist that I increase the pain medication until I was pain free. In their opinion, you should NOT exercise through pain as it creates bad habits like limping which you have correct later on. So when I stand up to walk or exercise and the pain is such that I limp or I hurt I know its time for further medication. I then wait the 30-40 mins for the medication to work and then I exercise.

I hope that helps,

Mike
 
So my strategy for today was to rest and strengthen. I focused on resting with two naps as well as exercise ( three short home PT exercise routines with 10 minutes on the stationary bike ). I also elevated my legs for a couple of hours with ice on the hip. And am now sitting here with heat on my hip ( good for movement).

Thanks Mike for your advice on pain medication. I do not want to increase narcotics, but will get to start my Mobic on 11/5/12 ( my one month anniversary....you know what that means! ). For those of you that don't, we honor our new hips by singing Happy Birthday!

My PT says that if I rest this weekend I will notice a big difference by Monday!

May much inspiration come forth while we rest, ice and elevate! World Peace comes to mind.
 
Hi Catherine

Amazing how quickly the time goes. - 4 weeks... You sound as though you are very much in track for your 1 month birthday party.. You have the right mix of exercise, rest, elevation and meds.. I also used alternating ice and heat.. Jolly good ! :)
 
Hello my Bonesmart Friends!

I have passed my five week anniversary and today drove my car, a stick shift, for the first time. My husband cleared me to drive to work tomorrow! It was raining today, so had to go to a store to do my walk. Hurt a bit more walking around the store, but only took one pain pill. I can't wait for the day when I get off narcotic pain meds because I have needed them for the past three years due to a worn out hip joint. My new hip is healing, slowly and surely, and each day brings little steps of progress. Today, for instance, while doing leg lifts on the bed, I turned to my stomach without discomfort.

I have been working 5 hour days at work, but tomorrow plan to arrive at my regular time, attend standup meeting and work as long as I can. I have been needing my cane less and less. If I do have pain with walking, it goes away when I use the cane. I still have problems with limping and am working hard to do my PT exercises. I like to do both sides as I want to keep things even, but if on time budget, I make sure I do my right leg exercises. The most interesting one is balancing on my right leg while moving my left leg in a semi circle front to back.

The time has gone by quickly, but not quickly enough. I still get frustrated with pain, dressing, energy levels and my weight. I had read on the Internet that some people were walking a mile after two weeks with the anterior approach. This certainly has not been my experience. Yes, I can walk a mile in 20 minutes with my cane ( and a little bit without! ), but it does hurt and requires that I treat my pain with ice or heat, rest and elevation. My husband still needs to put on some of my shoes and take off my socks. I need and take naps and go to bed early. My body is still prone to holding onto water due to stress and inflammation. I finally had to go out and buy some size large pants to feel comfortable at work. My right thigh is still larger than my left, but thanks to massage and some therapy tape my PT is using, my scar is lying down a bit.

I have osteoarthritis all over. My PT holds onto my knee and can't believe the crunches he feels. He tells me I will need to have something done about it. It doesn't hurt, so I tell him to think positive and that I won't have any negative talk about it. Hip surgery is enough for me. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it is a big commitment! Still learning.
 
Hi Catherine. I'm noticing two threads in your recent posts. One is a frustration with some ongoing pain. The other is that you are planning to increase your work level. Given that you went back to work so soon, I can't help but wonder if your pain levels are impacted by the workload you've been handling. If that is the case, the idea that you are going to increase your workload....including more standing, not to mention more time....sends off alarm bells in my head. I don't know if you are doing this because you HAVE to (no more sick time, have to have the income, etc), because you feel you need to (sense of obligation and caring), or some other reason. But if you have a choice in the matter, I would encourage you to consider that you may need MORE rest still, not less. Two or three weeks of sustained rest, continued icing, regulating your pain meds so you stay ahead of the pain will go a long way to resolving your issues with pain, fluid retention, and the continued limping. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get past this difficult part soon.

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon,

A two to three work rest from work not OK due to many reasons. I did OK today. Worked 7.5 hours. Still limping a bit, but incision area quite numb so maybe muscles aren't communicating well yet. I mainly wrote what I did to provide a realistic view of what one can expect from anterior hip surgery. I keep track of some people on Bonesmart and also like to keep track of what I am doing. To me, it is interesting that my PT encourages me to work, but yet thinks my knees are in terrible shape.

I have a wonderful job and can't afford to lose it. It is also difficult to find someone who can fill my position. They actually tried and the results were laughable. Some things just need to be done....like getting a prescription for an elder going on vacation to Florida. Today I came to work and even though I had the prescription last week, no one had filled it. REALLY? It was her pain medication and I know that WE all know how important that is.

I see my OS on Thursday for my six week checkup and will let you know what he says!
 
Six week check- up with OS:

1). Can I get a card to go through airports?
Yes you can as you really don't look like the typical hip replacement surgery person. (!). They gave me a card and then told me I would set off all the alarms and still be X-rayed until they were sure I was not a threat.

2). Can I lose my hip precautions?
No, the only dislocations which have happened were ones greater than six weeks out. BE CAREFUL ! i have had only had five dislocations in the past 4 years. He then demonstrated how to put on shoes, pick things up off floor which I had already been doing.

3). Can I get more pain meds?
Yes and gave me Rx

4). Is my limp from my hip or my knee?
He had me walk and told me it as definitely my hip ( therapist was wondering if it was my knee )

5). How long do I need to do PT?
As long as you are getting something from it. Yes, you may graduate on November 30th.

6). When can I sit in the hot tub?
Incision is healed so go ahead...just don't fry it.

7). What about work?
Go ahead and gear it up. Cane for one more month just to keep you going.

Next appointment in 9 weeks. X-ray perfect today. I am coming along great!
 
I am writing to let you know that I passed my 3 month anniversary without even thinking about it!

Ah, but human progress is not so easy. I graduated from physical therapy at the end of November and promply gave up exercise for shopping, sewing, baking (and eating!) and all in all, enjoying a Christmas of cane and limp free walking. Fast forward to Christmas Day when my weight was up to unmentionable levels and I was a little bit cranky. So my husband and I started our diet and exercise program the day after Christmas and we are doing fine. I am walking about 3 miles, 2-4 times a week and today started light resistance program. We have been drinking lots of filtered water and eating non processed foods. My weight is down 7 pounds and my husband has lost 11. A little self care goes a long ways, as my mood has improved as well as my productivity.

I will see my OS this week and I am going to tell him that he forgot to mention one of the risk factors to major surgery (THR): without the work, this surgery can turn you into a 179 pound pillsbury doughgirl! :egypdance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Healthy hip 12 returns
Just a great update. Isn't it wonderful to have a hip you don't really think about anymore!!! Sorry 'bout the weight gain--but you seem to have that well in hand now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Healthy hip 12 returns
 
Hi Catherine! It was nice to hear from you. I, too, gained about 10 lbs. However, I am not walking the distances that you are, and am still not being consistent in my eating. I start the day well, but rarely finish well! Congrats on doing so well with being proactive and disciplined. Regarding my physical recouperation, I can walk well, with no discomfort. But climbing stairs, alternating legs, still hurts, along my thigh muscles and knee - it just feels sore. I'm wondering what your experience with stairs is at this point. The PT told me that it takes 4-6 months to be completely healed, so I'm hoping for more long-term improvement. How about putting on socks? I can just barely reach, but it hurts, so I usually use my sock aid. I drove after five weeks - to get a pedicure! We all have our priorities - that was mine. The most exciting point in my recouperation was the day that I could put my foot up on the side of the tub and shave my legs!! Another priority for me!

I'd like to thank everyone for your support, especially the moderators, who were so helpful sharing perspective and experience. I've recommended the site to several people who are looking at hip replacements soon.
 
Hi Catherine,

Wonderful to see how you have met your challenges. This is the true measure of character. We can all look good when things go as planned. Its what we do when faced with adversity that really counts. Congratulations!!

Mike
 
Time flies when you are having fun, but in my inbox was an email from Mary Beth, a fellow nurse who had a bilateral hip replacment about the same time my right hip replacement was done. She did an update, so I will too, for those of you needing encouragement! At the time of my hip replacement, I was walking with a cane with an abnormal gait all of the time. Pain would come suddenly and unexpectlantly without warning. I was so afraid of getting hip surgery and did everything I could to prepare. I did fine and went back to work early. I progressed and no longer have a limp. My weight is down to fighting weight for a gal my age, but I still have to watch it. I walk daily. My left hip gives me trouble, but not enough to worry. If there was one piece of advice would give, is to get in the best shape possible for your surgery, as you will gain weight and be down for some time. Do all the exercises and do not succomb to pity eating. As for the present, if I overdo it, I will feel it. I use heat and rest all the time for my aching joints. I work as a nurse and walk frequently in my job without use of a cane or abnormal gait. Yea!!!! I could get my surgery, but WOW, it is hard work. Make sure you do everything you can before getting a joint replaced, but if you need it, DO IT! My right hip is amazing now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom