THR Healthy hip 12 returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are great! I did recommend that she do a little research on the subject. I also called my OS and was told I was not taking too much medicine. I have also discovered that ice is a great pain killer. It seems that I have gotten into a bit of a routine. Medicate, exercise, ice and elevate. It seems when I ice and elevate, I also nap. Two beautiful bouquets arrived yesterday which also helped. I also received a food basket full of Northwest snacks and a water melon. In my discharge instructions it said I should avoid processed foods, but Mom came up with the idea that I can save the snacks for guests. I'm just 5 pounds up from my starting weight and the swelling in my leg is a lot better. Thanks so much for the support!
 
Glad to hear that things continue to progress so well! Your routine sounds like what I did after my TKRs, so I'm guessing I'll be doing the same after my hips next Tuesday. Ice is our friend and naps are necessary. :sleep:

Weezy
 
Please, someone tell me how I am supposed to shave my legs....
 
On another thread (by Damn) people recommended duct taping a razor to a ruler. Or you could indulge in a waxing at a salon. :)

Sharon
 
Candlelight....soft music....boyfriend/partner/hubby gently making long sensuous strokes with the razor.... :blush:

OK, back to reality....too much fantasy in that one! :doh: Who feels like romance while still recovering from surgery?? But seriously, after my cancer surgery I was severely restricted on arm movement for about 10 weeks--no stretching no nothing. So hubby did the lower part of my legs that I couldn't reach. It was kinda fun! I spent a lot of time giggling thinking about how incredibly funny it must have looked.

Weezy
 
Wheezy, what a great fantasy. Sharon, that's reality. My husband used red electrical tape to secure my razor onto a used drumstick ( he's a drummer). Works great and fits into my recycle, reuse lifestyle.

I am on lucky post op day # 13 and have already received the early phone call from the boss asking when I will be back to work. I called my OS to get his opinion. She wants me back today as my replacement didn't show up. What do you think? It would be mostly paperwork and I could leave at any time. My husband would drive me.

I get pedicure today! My first ever.
 
So, after the summons to work, with OS approval, I show up to work on lucky post op day # 13. I was greeted by the management team with the news that the corporate nurse was unhappy with me returning to work so soon. Do you think? Was sent on my way to enjoy my first outing since surgery.

That was a close one. We went to the grocery store and I got a cart to walk behind. This was an amazing experience because I could walk normally without a limp. My husband even gave me cues. No more grinding pain when I walk! Yes, some stiffness. We went only a short distance, then back home to ice and elevate. We plan to do another field trip tomorrow.

My question: when I return to work, how long should I work? I would really appreciate hearing any advice on what to do. My employer is extremely accommodating. We go for win win. Please tell me your back to work secrets.
 
Oh Happy Day!

I returned to work today on post op day # 17. I worked five hours ( I plan to work four five hour shifts this week ). I took my crutches, ice bag, reacher ( not needed) and a bag to carry my paperwork in. Of course, my husband drove me. I was able to review 2 /3 rds of the last 10 days orders and visit with residents. The nurse who was supposed to replace me only showed up for one week. I made sure I iced my incision while sitting and got up frequently to avoid stiffness. I came home and put my toes above my nose for two hours and now sit here writing to you while watching the presidential debate.

I had joked about returning to work after two weeks, but it happened! I am making sure to take it slow and steady. My boss is also very supportive about not pushing it too much.

I work as a consultant in Assisted Living. I manage the care for about 60 elders. They put me on their prayer list and I do attribute my success to this and to all the positive people who have surrounded me.
 
Oh that's so sweet! And of course it helped!

But I do hope you meant you iced your KNEE not just your incision! :heehee:
 
Hi Josehine!

I am confused. Why should I be icing my knee? My knees are great.

BTW, left work in tears today, not because I was hurting, but because it was time to go and never got to do any real nursing, just paperwork.

Arg.
 
Yesterday I had my first PT session and no longer have to use crutches. I can use my cane and walk short distances unaided. I have a few exercises where I wear 5 pound ankle weights for strengthening. I have had a big week ( week 3 post op ) and manage about 6 hours out of the house each day. Yesterday when I got home from PT, I had to take a two hour nap. Things are going really well. I'm off to practice my new exercise routine!
 
Hi Catherine

Congratulations on your graduation to the cane! I found at that point that things really started to take off in terms of mobility. I hope it proves the same for you. Stay with that new exercise routine and you will be scooting around all over very soon.

Kind regards

Mike
 
Hi Catherine

Wow, two weeks back to work, that would surely have to be close to one of our records?

I love your comment about the 60 elders having you on their prayer list... powerful healing!

Regards shaving, let them grow and wear slacks (if you are allowed of course).

Love your updates :)
 
Wow, I made it! Home from my first part time week back to work. I had PT today and I have found that I can walk down stairs, but not up! I hung onto the railing with both hands and moaned and groaned. I have lots of cool exercises to change all that. I am SO GLAD I HAVE THE WEEKEND OFF! I am going to do the three sessions of my exercises each day while napping in between! Happy Friday!
 
Hi Catherine,

You are a tough cookie. There is NO WAY I would have considered work when I wasn't able to walk upstairs. Not that my job involves walking upstairs but I can remember when I was at that point of recovery and I was not ready to work. Be kind and gentle to yourself. Rest is very important at this point.

Kind regards

Mike
 
Hi Catherine

Rest, elevate, ice and take your prescribed meds.. That is your friendly prescription for the weekend... You so deserve it hon!
 
Post op day # 25. Happy Halloween! Today I was a witch, in costume only of course. I am getting PT twice a week. I practice little steps with my WII balance board. I am still walking with a cane. I hurt if I twist the wrong way and my leg aches with long walks. I do my home exercises daily and limit work time to five hours. I am using ice and heat.

I am taking two 5 mg oxycodone three times a day along with some Tylenol and naproxen.

My question is for the experienced hippies: when will my pain go away completely? I would like an estimate.. Weeks? Months?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reassure me.
 
Oh dear, that's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions! Anywhere between 6 and 16 weeks.
 
Catherine, it's such an individual thing. I think most of the time, most of the pain is mostly gone around 3 months or so. By that point, many hippies are done taking meds at all, but equally many of us still need something to smooth off some rough edges. With my first hip, I stayed on Celebrex for a little over 5 months. It looks like the same timeline is occurring for my second hip. Even when you stop all meds entirely, you may still experience varying amounts of stiffness after you've been sitting, and twinges if you overdue. Changes in the weather may play havoc with your muscles. You may get muscle aches and strains, or other soft tissue strains. All of this is normal....so keep the tylenol handy.

I often find that when I start out for a walk, I can go half a mile or so and NOTHING hurts! Nothing at all. But around the half mile mark, various twinges in various places start to pop up and recede. No big deal, and they don't spoil my walk, but I just note that they are there.

Trial and error....you won't really know when the pain will stop entirely until it does. And then you cross your fingers that your knees don't act up, and your back stays fine, and your shoulders never ache. :)

Sharon
 
OK! Thank you. I get to restart my Mobic on Nov 5 th. I am having a hard time walking especially after PT. I will keep you posted. I just don't like having pain so severe that I have to take oxycodone. Besides, I don't think it works that well anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom