TKR Healing of knee

Queenrona

Country
United States United States
At night I can’t sleep, because I have shooting knee pain on my My operated knee replacement had the knee replacement on March 1, 2019 is this normal for me to have pain in my knee When I’m sleeping the pain is about a 6. I do keep the knee straight, while sleeping.

Welcome to Bonesmart. One of the moderators will be along soon to give your some advice.

I found sleeping very uncomfortable until I put a pillow lengthwise under my whole leg, so that all the leg from very top of thigh to foot was resting on it. The pillow was softer than my mattress and kinder on the leg, less pressure on the knee. It might be worth trying. Good luck.

Hi, My question is had a total left knee replacement surgery on 3/1/19, and I notice twice when I was walking with my cane I notice a had a little click sensation as I was walking is that normal ?

Absolutely it is. Most of us seem to experience it. When it first started I though there was a fault with the joint until I read other people's posts. Mine comes and goes and sometimes my hip clicks. I guess that's down to the alteration in gait. I expect a moderator will be along with the link to knee clunks and clicks.

little click sensation as I was walking is that normal ?
100% yes. It will go away

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Queenrona
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. I can see that it was confusing for you, as you had two threads with the same title. I've altered your thread title a bit now, to add your name to it. Hopefully, that will prevent further confusion.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here, in this thread.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

At night I can’t sleep, because I have shooting knee pain on my My operated knee replacement had the knee replacement on March 1, 2019 is this normal for me to have pain in my knee When I’m sleeping the pain is about a 6. I do keep the knee straight, while sleeping.
Usually, pain at night is caused by either under-medication or too much activity during the daytime.
Make sure that you keep up the medication regime, so you are taking a pain-killer during the night, as well as during the daytime.

Check your daytime activity against this article, to see how much you should be doing - and keep exercises to a minimum. Activity progression for TKRs

The other cause of your pain could be that you are keeping your knee straight during the night. It's not necessary to do that. You can have a slight bend, which is far more comfortable.
Have you had a chance to read the articles that Roy Gardiner posted for you? Have another look at the one about
elevation - elevate . You'll see that in the photos showing the correct way to elevate, the knee is slightly bent.

@Queenrona you are early early days yet. Please read the articles the mods have left for you, this is a long slog to recovery but in the end you will be happy with your decision to have a TKR.

Hi, On March 1,2019 had a total knee replacement left knee, what is the best Silicone I can use on my knee so the incision can be flat in order to blend in with the rest of my skin on my knee or should I use vitamin E and cocoa butter.

I alternated cocoa butter, coconut oil, and vitamin E. There are flat and clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Queenrona
You had your LTKR the same day as I did. Nurse told me to use E45 cream but I don't think my scar is ready for it yet as there are still a few small scabs.
A friend used coconut oil and Bio oil is supposed to be very good for scars.

@Queenrona
You'll notice that, once again, I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
Please don't keep starting new threads.

At the end of the recovery reading that was left for you (Post #5), this request was written:
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

For several reasons, it is best if you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

what is the best Silicone I can use on my knee so the incision can be flat in order to blend in with the rest of my skin on my knee or should I use vitamin E and cocoa butter.
Now, to answer your question:
At the moment, your incision is only a month old and it's perfectly normal for it to still have lumps and bumps. That's because the dissolving sutures beneath your skin are still holding your other tissues firmly together. Healing is still going on beneath the skin surface.

You don't need to put anything on your incision to make it flatter. All it needs is time and it will gradually flatten out and fade, ultimately to a thin, silvery line.
If your skin feels dry, any moisturiser will do a fine job.

Did you realise that complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year? Even though your skin looks healed, it takes some of your deeper tissues a lot longer to heal completely.
Healing: how long does it take?

Hi Queenrona. We had surgery the same day. I am a 100% cocoa butter girl right now. I agree with Celle, above, our scars are too new to worry too much about. I may use the silicone sheets in the future, as my Dad forms keloids and I have scarred pretty badly in the past. I think I used 'scar away' sheets, but I imagine most brands are the same.

Right now I just put some cocoa butter on my scar and gently masssage it. **Remember to keep it out of the sun!**

Good luck fellow "March Musketeer". :loveshwr:

Has your sleep improved since you first posted?

I slept with my leg on one pillow and with a slight bend. I couldn't sleep on my side for several weeks. Pain is one thing, but shooting pain is another. Has it gotten any better? All I can suggest is to experiment with position, try a good icing just before bed time (one hour minimum) and take your med as Celle mentioned. Hopefully you are getting used to all this, and it does get better, but slowly.

Some what getting, iced knee before i go to sleep, some nights i have to take Melatonin to get too sleep.

Some what still having a problem getting to sleep some nights have to take melatonin to sleep no pain iced the knee before i go too sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Suby
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom