THR Healer01 in recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you JoMarie.Today I really just took it easy.I have been icing all day,and taking pain meds every 4 hours.My husband was a bit mad at me for getting hurt.He is medically retired and really does the cooking and cleaning.I have always helped him with everything including yard work and cleaning the car but I have been so limited for the last 2 years that it's been hard on him .I feel guilty for the limitations.I am feeling just slightly better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Keep taking care of yourself! I remind myself daily that on the other side of the next few months will be a life I have not had in years! Walking with no pain, doing chores around the house without the grinding exhaustion I used to get as I forced myself to work through the agony.... It is coming....we just need to be patient.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@Healer01, I am sad to hear that you feel guilty about anything. You have limitations because of your physical condition, and those are facts, not anyone's fault. And what's with your husband? Goodness knows, you did not hurt yourself on purpose to make things harder for him. If he can't handle it, perhaps he can hire someone to do the work. You certainly can't do it yet! You are a wonderful person, only a little more than 3 weeks out of surgery. I wasn't doing anything but self-care and getting a bit of food out of the fridge for myself at that point, and feeling great that I could do that! You will heal in time, but you can't rush it. Wish your husband could be more sympathetic.
 
Hi JoMarie.I am about 10 % better than yesterday.Last night I was about 30% better.I was sad that it did not stay at 30% but it stresses the importance of ice,elevation and rest.I did get more pain medications today and did get a continuing education line started so I can get caught up for my RN liscence and possibly for my lactation certificationThis year has been so challenging because I had my daughter,her newborn and her boyfriend living with us.My husband had a triple bypass and I had to prepare for my 10 year IBCLC exam .I also worked full time.This year has been so challenging ,.I agree every day was painful.A lot of people can stay at home and nurture their way through this but we can't ,we have to work ,there is no self protection.The work world is so aggressive now.There is no gentleness ,no kindness anymore.That generation is gone.I have said I am exhausted and It's just the constant unremitting pain and not being able to sleep at night.My husband said I would cry in my sleep.The pain just never stops.I am mad at myself for hurting myself.I am pleased it's getting a little better. I hope it keeps getting better for you.How old are you children?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My husband had a heart attack with a triple bypass last July so this has been hard on him too.My girls have been helpful,I really think everyone is experiencing care taker burnout.Iim burnt out from working full time while recuperating on last Mays LTKR,and having these 2 bad hips.I have gotten through it with Gods help and my family but it has been tough and is not over yet.My husband is a good guy but is just tired,His back hurts him a lot from having part of 3 vertebrae taken off due to a cancerous tumor to his spinal cord.Its been challenging for sure


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds extraordinarily challenging for everyone! But you are the most vulnerable and weak at this point, and grousing at you won't help anything, and will only make you feel worse than you already do while trying to heal and recover from a brutal surgery. Maybe bringing in some extra paid help would help with the caretaker burnout. You ALL can only do so much. You are right, @Healer01, it's not over yet!
 
Krista you are right.I do feel very vulnerable .My daughters have come over and I will ask them to do little things like hang the laundry up,or refil my ice pack.I was taking care of an apt with my father by the time I was about 11 so I'm a caretaker by nature so I really don't like to ask for much.I stayed down today,stayed in my room until 2 and then to the recliner.Took a nice long shower.Tonight the swelling in my upper thigh and area around the incision has really decreased.Last night when I came to bed it took me about 15 minutes to get down the hall to my bedroom as it was so painful.It was about 40% better tonight.Tonight I was able to get myself into bed,last night Jim had to help me and once in bed I could not use my legs to get more centered on the bed,tonight I was able to move myself a bit.I will tell you,I have learned my lesson.I lost a whole week due to pushing it and it's a little better but not ok.I will not make the same mistake again.How was your day today?I love your hair by the way.Im a nurse so I always wear my hair back in a braid.Do you wear a braid?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Gosh some years are just bad aren't they?! January last year my hubby had to have prostate cancer surgery then they botched his recovery and allowed a clot to form in the catheter so he ended up with three months of miserable, unnecessary pain and suffering. During that time my hips had gotten so bad that when I needed to support him and help him walk around the house I just cried. At work last fall I just barely made it through the day, saw the doc then had to wait months to see the surgeon and had to wait months again to get on his schedule.....

Gosh I pray there are no more years like last year! We are both on track for a better future!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Healer, glad you are resting and asking for help from your daughters with this setback. Hope you are feeling better and stronger as you give your body the rest it needs. Regarding my hair, thanks for your comment! I put it into a ponytail and then braid it, even wear it that way while sleeping. Every once in a great while I wear it down, but can't stand to have it in my way, so back up it goes!
 
Gosh JoMarie I hear you.My husband had prostate cancer also.He was young for it but he was having urinary frequency so with his history of testicular cancer I was just worried.His PSA was high.His GP was not overly concerned and wanted to wait to have it rechecked .My sister worked for a urologist at the time and I ran. The numbers past her and she was concerned.The number was really high.She worked Saturday and told the Urologist about Jim's history and the PSA of 5.The Urologist called our house on a Sunday and told Jim to make an appt to be seen the next day.He had him come in for a biopsy.From that he said Jim's risk level was a 7 and that it starts to metastasize at an 8.He asked me what made me ask about the test to start out with.Jim was only about 47 at the time.Everything strange happens to my poor husband so that's why I asked for the test.You know Jim was paralyzed for a year,and has decreased sensation from the waist down so to me I thought how would he know if he had prostate symptoms because he would not be able to differentiate the symptoms.It sounds like we have a lot in commen.We can do this ,one day at a time:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Krista,Thank you for your comments.Today is a little better.Have the Drs visit tomorrow.I just need to remind myself that this is my heal up time and then it's back to work.I am going to remind myself of that and not jump the gun.Will see what the Dr says tomorrow.Overall about 20% better today.It initially was getting worse so I guess the inflammatory process had to do its thing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I went for my post op appt today with the OS.They did X-rays and said the actual joint replacement mechanism looked fine but you could see a fracture at the top of the femur has a fracture across the top of it.I am only 4 ft 11 inches and he has to really pull to stretch things so he said that that increased pressure just caused the metal to put pressure on the bone in such a way that it just cracked it.I did not feel a breaking or popping sensation.The bone looks well approximated and he said it should heal well but to stop doing physical therapy.He said I just need to allow it to mend.Im so sad.;(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, my dear, what a wrench in the works this is! I don't understand the doctor's explanation of why it happened, but so sad with you that it did. So are you supposed to be non-weight bearing on that leg, or what? Even if a person doesn't do physical therapy, they could get a good workout just from daily living. Is he restricting you from anything else? Hugs across cyber-space to you! ♥︎♥︎♥︎
 
Uuuggghh, so sorry to hear your updated news. Hoping you have a long series of good days now.
 
Krista thank you for your concern. He said not to bring my leg to the side (adduction) and not to bend forward a great deal. He said to really look at this as a time to rest and allow my bone to mend. He said he has seen it a couple of times throughout the years and it usually heals just fine but that it really needs time to mend. He said that the fact that I did not actually feel a popping sensation is good as the force of the pressure is less likely to have put as much pressure to push it further apart so it's more likely to heal better. You can see that the surfaces are well approximated. I too am sad and hoping it won't have a lasting negative effect.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How do we tag Josephine and Jaycie ,would like their perspective on this


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope it doesn't, too! Your doctor's comments sound hopeful. If I were you, I'd want more specific directions about the amount of weight-bearing and walking that you are allowed to do safely. I like things spelled out. Ignore me if I sound pushy!
 
I understand fully what he said. That during the surgery he had to use a bit of force to get the hip back in place. In these situations it is possible that the bone might suffer what is known as a stress fracture. This means that the ongoing pressure would simply cause the bone to give way so there is no point of 'pop' or pain. And these fractures very often are simple, undisplaced fractures so rest and light weight bearing will be the treatment for some weeks.

As for your no PT, we strongly advise that for hips on here anyway. So no harm in that!

Do you have a copy of your xray of this, Healer? I'd be most interested.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom