Guest viewing is limited

THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Love the chair story! I notice than I am getting up and down from restaurant chairs normally and, when getting out of the car this morning did it automatically before my long suffering H had even bought the crutches round. Ooops!
I got told off for that one..

See my thread for my most hated object in the Recovery Process.

Sounds like you are making great progress
 
@An54,
I love the chair story too. You sound just like me.

My left hip and left knee both need 'doing' apparently. Although the hip isn't causing me any problems the issues can be seen on the x-ray. OS has put me on his list for another appointment in 6 months to see where we go from there.
 
Hi. Glad all went well. Hope you have a great recovery. I too was looking forward to get back on the dance floor. 40's / 50's jive. Until last year was teaching. 3 months since op and having problems. Still swollen leg's and foot. Being referred to lymphatic clinic. Still walking with one stick. Can't get down on normal height chairs without pain. Doc now says I should not ever twist round on one foot so bit down. Hope all goes well for you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance!
You'd better report back @An54 on how you did at the white party and how you dressed your walking aids!! Looking forward to hearing how it went!

For the past two days I have been going like crazy (in slow motion that is, with due respect for the Op-leg), preparing for and sewing white things for Vancouver's 8th Annual Diner en Blanc. My friends and I met at one of the rendezvous points, and from there we and hundreds of others climbed aboard big buses to be taken to the 'secret location', which was Van Dusen Gardens this year.

There was a lot of walking involved--too much really, and on slopes as well, but I just plugged along slowly, carefully and steadily, and came to no grief. I didn't have white ribbons to attach to my walking poles, but I made some white strips by ripping up old cotton sheets. I had to use materials on hand because it was just too much to go out to fabric shop, etc..

I don't know how many attended the event but it was certainly in the thousands. A small contingent of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra played on stage in the later part of the evening. At 9:30 pm precisely we all lit our sparklers and waved them and cheered, and altogether it was very festive. I survived being 'out and about' from 4pm to 11pm yesterday. Will rest today!
 
How beautiful @An54!! What a lovely setting too. I can't believe you did a 7 hr outing, bravo! And no residual aches and pains, a very good sign.
Wait.... What's that? Do I see an anarchist, outlier, non-Conformist in the crowd wearing a (gasp!) OFF-white near ecru colored dress?! What nerve! :snork:
Congratulations on making the long trek and on staying for the whole event-- all without sliding over into that ODIC place that shall not be named. Good work!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance! Yes, we who dressed scrupulously in white-white were quite horrified at the odd glimpse of off-whites, creams, etc. We overcame the shock to our central nervous systems by fanning ourselves vigorously with our white fans and sipping white wine, which returned a bit of colour to our white cheeks. I attribute my survival of the day to my so-far successful avoidance of that club which shall not be named. Oh, my friend texted me--there were 4500 in attendance.
 
Last edited:
Egads!!! I did see creams in that photo! Even some .... (Eeek) almost-beiges. A few bad apples... Thank goodness you had white adult beverages to calm yourselves. 4500 - is short of Woodstock but a very good sized crowd all the same! Glad you were able to have some fun without adverse side effects. :yay:
 
Love White and Cream together. It's beautiful! How fun and what a gorgeous backdrop.
By the picture, it looks like the sky even cooperated.
I'ts nice to read you had fun. Hope your weekend is a good one!
@An54
 
Last edited:
While I have a dearth of X chromosomes to truly appreciate the apparent splendor of the occasion, I'm still impressed that you not only managed this party, but that you did it with such elan and pale majesty, like a Canadian moon goddess. (Somewhere there's a hack who wants his metaphor back.) Congrats from a poor, tasteless dude on bringing it like a champ!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance! Yes, my friend and I--we who dressed scrupulously in white-white-- were quite horrified at the odd glimpse of off-whites, creams, etc. We overcame the shock to our central nervous systems by fanning ourselves vigorously with our white fans and sipping white wine, which returned a bit of colour to our white cheeks. I attribute my survival of the day to my so-far successful avoidance of that club which shall not be named. Oh, my friend texted me--there were 4500 in attendance.

I love thst post “If Jane Austen went to a White Party”.... well done on a 7 hour marathon. Were you very tired the next day?
 
"...Were you very tired the next day?"

@SurreyGirl , Yes, I was tired. My op-leg felt a bit heavier, and for the first time since surgery I was able to have an afternoon nap. However with concentrated relaxation-- feet up, pillows everywhere, & liberal use of circulating ice packs-- I think that I short-circuited Angry Hip Syndrome.

@Alitm , Yes, the smoke cleared away a bit for better visibility. The predicted rain also held off, so that was lucky. How are things on the Island? Still smoky? (forest fires for those who are wondering) . I understand our smoke has moved along to Calgary
 
@An54 Well done on the short-circuiting of AHS! Glad that you pulled out all the ammunition against the ODIC gremlins!
We just had a sprinkle of rain about an hour ago, but so far that is it. It is smokier here today, if that is possible with rain..so strange. Yesterday was much clearer for us in terms of air quality.
My husband is connecting to the east coast via Calgary tomorrow night. That will be an interesting connection :chinstroke:with more smoke there :flabber:!
 
My day in White at the Van Dusen Gardens has been followed by two days of Rest --even including naps, the first since surgery.

The weirdest problem with my hip has been when I cough. The air has been smoky, and several times I have had a sudden bout of coughing (my whole body getting involved in the Big Wracking Cough), and I get caught with a sudden jagged pain in my hip and it feels like I'm almost blowing the Op-leg right out of its socket. I grab my leg to hold it on until I've finished coughing. I just did it again and forgot to 'hold my leg on", and now it feels like I've pulled something. hmmmm, maybe time for an ice pack.
 
That's not surprising. You'll have to brace yourself for those coughing spells. I'll bet some icing will help.
Any signs of the air clearing up there? It must be awful. We experienced days of haze here due to
the fires / smoke. I can't imagine what it's like close enough where it's advised you stay indoors.
Hope your night is peaceful and cough free. :)
@An54
 
Back
Top Bottom