THR Hdold joins the hippies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha about the perfume!
@Hdold glad you got the comfort of the shower, and are happy with your PT.
I finished out my 4 home PT sessions today. How many did your insurance give you?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hdold joins the hippies
Oh, yes, that first shower---like dying and going to heaven. Who would have thought that something as insignificant as a shower could bring such bliss!
This forum has been so helpful…….:loveshwr:

We are programed to help make your recovery the best it can be!
 
@Hdold Wow, Congrats!!! :yay: Only 4 days and you're doing so well - I am so encouraged!! Are there any things you are finding difficult - pain meds, constipation, restrictions? Are you able to get around reasonably well; using walker, crutches, cane? Right now I just feel like anything could happen and I'm having difficulty settling on a plan for "after".
 
@MajorHeidi the pt comes to the house until I am passed to drive….then I'll do pt at an outside location.
@moms4tne I had a mim invasive procedure with no precautions. however I got my hubby to get a raised toilet seat……. The advice in the forum is so valuable….elevate, ice, stay on top of your pain meds and rest. Also slow and steady. I don't think its possible to settle on an "after" plan before your op. You will be told your restrictions…..follow those and the forum advice and you will be fine. For me I need plenty of rest…..I showered today and was so tired after. I didn't fight it……i got some rest and felt much better. Please don't over worry the "after"….it will all work out.

Will be thinking of you on monday…..
 
Hi all, so I am 6 days post surgery. I am doing very well. Nurse was with me today the incision is healing nicely…..all vital signs are good.

I am walking with one cane, tried to come off oxy yesterday…..not a good idea ……pain down my groin and the front of my thigh. I assume this is where my new hip is…..and the pain is normal???
I am following the advice here about not overdoing exercises……..I am not doing three sets of exercises as told by pt…..I have done 1 set if pain okay will do a 2nd set. I am getting plenty of rest, I am icing and elevating my legs.

Sleeping is hard at night ( I am not a great sleeper at the best of times)….trying to get comfortable is impossible, but I know that will get better. I feel today as if my whole system is getting back to normal…..by that I mean my internal systems…..I have been feeling blotted, nausea and just out of sorts. I assume the effects of anesthesia takes a while to work out of your system????

Oh and I am very emotional……..my hubby is just about coping…lol. Its Mothers Day week…..so all the TV shows are doing tributes to wonderful mom's ……I am sobbing at each story…..good release!!!!

So overall so far so good. I have my sons graduation May 17th…so will be going to New York Friday 16th…..so the aim is to be strong for that.

Keep smiling:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the update. Sounds like your doing great!
 
Thanks @M1ke ……was just reading your thread. Glad you are doing well too.:cheers: I was thinking of your friends comment…..you know some people choose to live life on the side-line, that's their choice. I was functioning reasonably well before my op……but I had to give up a lot of things…….I made the decision to do the op and Live the life I want to live…….
 
hi @Hdold !
Your sweet little avatar always makes me smile. :)

Is it day 6 for you already? time does fly.....
Don't worry about trying to get off the oxy so soon. I have cut back by half now at 3.5 weeks.
I also was very emotional the first week. I would tear up at simple little things good or irritating.
That goes away.....
You should be A-OK for your son's graduation coming up. That will be rewarding!
 
@Hdold

Haha ya that threw me for a loop. Wrong comment wrong time.

Keep it up!
 
HHold, no need to be in a big rush to eliminate meds. You had major big-time surgery. Recovery takes time. Meds make it possible. Your body will tell you when its ready to taper off....and taper is the operative word. Right now you take your meds on a consistent schedule to keep ahead of pain. In another week or two, as long as you are feeling quite comfortable, you very gradually start cutting back, a little bit at a time. What else are you taking besides Oxy? Many of us alternate our narcotic with something like tramadol, and also tylenol. As we slowly cut back the opiate to maybe just nighttime, the other drugs fill in nicely. Eventually we begin to cut back the dosage or the frequency of those.

There are some good articles in the library to help you figure this out:
TKR recovery article compilation

Sleep issues....normal.
Emotional....normal.
Pain....normal, but very manageable.

Your job right now is to rest and heal. Get up in the morning, get out of bed, use the bathroom, rest.
Eat breakfast, go to the bathroom, rest.
Walk down the driveway and back, rest.
Nap.
Eat lunch, think about exercises, rest.
Try a few reps of a few exercises, rest.
Nap.
And so on....you get the picture. :)

You will indeed live the life you want to live. But give yourself permission right now to relax on the sidelines just a bit longer. It will make your full recovery a whole lot smoother, really.

Sharon
 
@Hdold sounds like you are coming along just fine. Don't worry about the weepy moments - happens to a lot of us. Sometimes I think they're just leftover anxiety from pre-op nerves. Keep up the good work:)
 
@sharonslp thank you so much for your advice……love this forum……you are all so kind….

I am taking Celebrax and Tylenol…..as well as oxy when needed. I think what happened me was (as so many of us do) I felt good on Sunday and did too much. I don't have any precautions…but I am learning just because I can do something..doesn't mean I should. I was bending picking up things off the floor, bending to take clothes out of the washer…….so I know I over did it.

I will take your advice and slow way down…..and take the oxy without question for the rest of this week. Then I will start thinking of tapering off….slowly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me…..:thankyou:
 
It sure is a learning process isn't it. Your doing the right thing by sitting back and thinking about what went wrong and then making adjustments. Exactly what I did!

I've said it before writing the updates are helpful to the person because writing forces you to think a little differently as you put thoughts down into print.
 
Hi everyone, milestone for me today…….I went out for dinner……got dressed in normal clothes, put on normal (flat) shoes and went to a restaurant with my husband and son. I did fine….now I am in bed resting….I admit I am tired but not too bad. Nice to do something normal!!!

I want to wish all moms a very Happy Mother's Day…..hope you all get to spend the day with someone you love:flwrysmile:
 
@hhold that really is fantastic for you and you are doing so well. I hope you and all the other mothers all have a really wonderful and memorable day - you all so richly deserve it xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom