I used both the ice machines and the ice packs. The first 3 or 4 months were the ice machine only. I froze bottle of water and also, tubs of water to use in it and the ice lasted all day. I was addicted to ice! I still have 4 of the gel packs in the freezer, just in case! You'll find you'll grow to love them, too!
Loved reading this post! And yes my ice machine with the cold pack for my knee has been wonderful! It is a Kodiak and I think it costs about $200. I borrowed mine from a friend. Using first thing in the morning for an hour and at least an hour at night makes a huge difference. Lessens swelling and pain. I am 4.5 weeks after surgery and doing great! My pain is so much less! Before it was not a happy place for me! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! And thank you Celle! I wondered what the zings were! I have a small portion of my knee that is numb about 2inches x 2 inches but I am sure it will come back with feeling. Big hugs and hang in there!
Mine is still numb at least that much on the outside of my knee. Some say it'll come back in a while or maybe not. It feels really strange when I shave it!
I've been doing much better the last two days. I finally care if it's day or night. The pain is very controllable with a bit less medication and so my head and tummy are feeling more normal. I got a small and very light knee massage going from under the knee to all the way up the thigh. The women called it something like a cling wrap rub... meaning very smooth and light. She thought it could help move the fluid in my thigh up to the lymph gland that would help remove it It really felt good to have it done and will be doing it for myself often from now one. I used a lotion called Arnica and it reminded me of Aloe Vera but not sticky at all. Anyway. Just wanted to say that I found something that made me smile and gave me a bit of feeling of having some control back. Has anyone found a cream or lotion or issential oil they like to use on inflammation?
It will be two weeks for me tomorrow.
One day at a time.
Using anything on a new incision this early isn't a good idea at all. I didn't use any lotion or oil for a few months. Some TKRs find lymphatic massage beneficial, but not until later in recovery.
Thought I would check in. It's been almost four weeks since the surgeries. I'm sleeping at night and not taking as many pain pills as before. I went to PT once and decided not to go again. When I talked with my doc he said I needed to go at least four times. I went twice this past week and oh my gosh. The first time was not bad but the second was terrible. Not too bad while I was there, but I kept doing what they said since it didn't hurt. I think they completely had me over work my legs! Both have been swollen as big or bigger then right out of surgery and I haven't been able to do anything. I can hardly stand. Two full days now of this. I've iced and elevated but no help at all. Where do I go from here? Do I return to PT on Tues???? Doesn't seem to make much sense... or do I wait until I'm better and then go and mess it up all over again? What is the balance?? So frustrating. I fully understand now what you all meant by one step forward and two back at times... and just needing to relax and take time... but this just seems impossible. No one has any answers as to how much to do in PT. They would put me on something for five minutes or 20 reps... more if I wasn't counting. I just need to hear that moving is helpful cause at this point I just want to sit here and hold completely still. Grrr.
No. Don't go to PT on Tuesday. You've found out for yourself that it wasn't right for your knees. They're your knees, so do what's right for them.
Remember that other people, such as the PTs and your surgeon, can advise, but you still have the choice whether or not to accept their advice.
Since your knees were so upset by the exercises, don't do it again. Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
If your surgeon asks, tell him how your knees were swollen, stiff and sore for more than 2 days after the PT and say you took an adult decision not to allow that to happen again.
You do need to move your legs a little, but keep resting, icing and elevating them and just walking around the house a bit. When they settle down (and they will), gradually start doing a few of these exercises and increasing the amount of walking you do. Don't start doing them all, just do a few at first. Heel slides and how to do them properly Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Thanks for bringing this question to the forum, @gerilari, and thanks for your answer @Celle. I,too, have been struggling with finding that balance between healthy and helpful movement and movement that leaves me with a day or two of pain meds. It seems very confusing.
Follow Celle's advice. You can also try to elevate toes above nose with ice to get the swelling down. When my leg was really swollen I'd lay flat on the sofa and put my legs on the sofa arm, pillows under and ice on top.
Your OS can't force you to take PT. It sounds like they did more harm than good and that you were doing good before you went. Why go if it doesn't help you? Your knees are terribly unhappy with you and you need to rest until the pain and swelling goes away. Just take care of your basic needs. And as the previous ladies said, ice and elevate. What a shame PT has put you through this. You don't even have to go back if you don't want to. Your knee will do fine without it. Very many of us never took it and are doing great!
I am now exactly one month post op. I don't have the bend I need. Only about half way there.... but I think I have finally figured out why! I am so excited about this and I tested my theory today and I think it's a go!
I have had "redesigned" knees since I was 11. So for 50 years I have walked differently, not bent my knees much, not squatted or knelled or climbed stairs like other people. Every think I do has been adapted so I could do it. I can go off a curb fast and easy without bending my knees much at all. I hope this makes sense. I'm thinking, most people just have to work on getting back to what they are used to doing... since they did it normally before the surgery. Now that I am almost pain free, I am so happy to just walk around I haven't really noticed that it could be better for me. No pain it wonderful, but I realize I need to put a lot of conscious effort in thinking about how the knee should bend when I pick something off the floor. I still am doing it straight legged. Lots of other movements as well... in fact, almost all of the things I do! So today I worked on saying to myself, as I sat on the edge of the chair, "I can bend my leg even more and more and use them to help stand". Even just that self talk helped me to get move bend and action that I have in the last month.
Has anyone else had mental blocks to getting better? I never thought my recovery was going to be so psychological!
I completely understand. I only had two years of difficulty pre surgery but I have to try and check my gait to make it more 'normal' because the old issues aren't there anymore.
It may take some time and you will need to be patient because you have had this restriction for so many years but go you!
Good for you for figuring this out. This sounds like a major breakthrough! Will your PT people work with you on this, do you think?
I had a similar realization when I began to walk without the arthritis pain in my knee: I had basically been sort of flopping my foot down for years to avoid rolling through the knee joint. So now I spend a lot of mental effort trying to take proper strides, rolling through the foot from heel to toe.
It seems so funny to have to think about the mechanics of walking, but I can tell a difference when I do it. After time I suppose it will become second nature.
The mini water/ice bottles are much easier in the machine. Glad you've found something (ice packs) that is working. I use a fleece sheet over my leg and that seems to help with the rough edges.
Yes, Geri, many of us have made adaptations to live our daily lives without pain. Even now I when my left natural knee is hurting I tend to swing it out instead of bending to walk. We do need to recognize these adaptations and work on changing them. If you haven't bent your knees in a while it may take longer now as your muscles etc haven't done this and will need practice. You're doing just what you should in making a concerted effort when walking or rising. Make sure you are wearing new shoes that won't have your old habits worn into them.
I still catch myself reverting back to my 'before' habits. Sometimes I don't remember that my new knee doesn't have that arthritis pain anymore and I can walk and climb steps like a normal person! This is happening less and less often and you, too will learn that you can bend your knees!
@gerilari I completely get what you are saying about adapting to bad knees. I can't remember a time in my life when I was able to squat or sit with my legs bent underneath me (even as a kid), so when I get frustrated that my ROM is only 100-110 at almost 6 months, I have to remember that it had been 85-95 for 40+ years!
My biggest benefit from PT (which I continued to go to after many here told me I didn't need it) was because I asked them to help me with learning new habits to get the most out of my new knees. I specifically asked them to help me with balance, gait (to make sure I was bending my knees and not swinging my legs out), sit/stand transitions, etc. If you tell them specific goals of what you want to be able to do, a good PT will design a program specifically for you, rather than just having you follow a generic set of exercises.
I also went to PT later in recovery (3-4 months out) and worked on gait, balance and strength at 4-5 months as well as ROM due to my complications. I had great PTs who never pushed, pulled on my knee or hurt my knee. By 3-4 months post op I was loving the leg massage I got THREE times a week. It was pure heaven!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.