Bilateral TKR Had Bilateral TKA February 25, 2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.
then as soon as I was off the treadmill I was back to the old gait. Very frustrating!
Your body will learn. I had to re-learn both to walk and to pedal my bike. What I found was that I had to do these things consciously, not on 'autopilot', nice and slowly. It takes time, and even now 3 1/2 years later I still walk with a shorter stride than is natural unless I think about it.

But it's 99% right, just through practice. You will be too.
 
I agree. I asked PT to advise on gait...use a march type walk. Idea is to lift your leg straight up then step fwd...not the swing the leg walk. Give the march a try...not a full on march maybe 1/3 of a march lift. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@Mokeysmom and @Maggie94, we must be triplets, because the nightly routine @Mokeysmom describes is also my own. Some nights, I do manage to get four hours of sleep, but it's never without the routine of back to right side, to left side, repeat. The only difference might be that I am able to sleep on my stomach for about a half hour somewhere in the middle of the routine.

And @Mokeysmom , I am also experiencing the gait problem with my left knee and am going to start on the treadmill routine. It's difficult to understand that even though my left knee has had better ROM and extension numbers, it has also been more painful, and when I step off my toe I have pain that has caused me to lift up my hip and swing my foot out before starting the heel-toe again.

Sleep well, ladies, this too shall probably pass!
 
@Parawheels @Mokeysmom He he...all we need to do is synchronize and it could be an Olympic sport LOL. Parawheels see my comment on Mokeysmom's thread about gait..worth a try. Mx

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Ok now let an old Bilateral Boy chip in here...@mokeysmom you are doing terrific at this stage...I had developed a rolling side to side walk over the course of a few years and one leg bowed out and atrophied slightly....it took some adjustment to learn to walk properly and I found that around the hospital ward and around the house I would just concentrate on a slow one step forward in a very deliberate fashion the way I wanted to walk...it will take a little while to break the habit that you developed but a lot less time to correct it... As a side sleeper the best thing for me was a pillow between the knees to keep me from waking up when I banged those bad boys together..it was far more comfortable for me and I used it for the first 8 weeks.... The knots I felt at the top knee bottom of the quad was scar tissue that my PT massaged away with some forceful pressure with her finger tips and some lotion.....she would do that while she was getting me loose for the ROM measurement.....when your balance is good I found walking with the best thing to do .......Quad strengthening is very important but you have to be careful that while you are exercising it you don't go over board and after about 12 weeks I felt that I could do anything....you have come very far very fast and you won't believe how great you feel once the swelling and stiffness is gone although I usually feel a little stiff getting out of bed it is nothing compared to the agony of snap,crackle and popping before....Doing great....now back to the sorority meeting....golf today beautiful sun shiny today..

Vinny
 
Got to laugh - have you been peeking thru my bedroom window? This is exactly how I am sleeping. It is just so spot on. In a funny way it gives me a bit of comfort to know another double kneesie gal is going thru exactly what I am - that sounds a bit off but I hope you understand what I am getting at. We will endure and get over this:yes!:

I too laughed this describes me too the only other thing I would add in is between all that waking with my mouth feeling like it is glued together I put my hand out find bottle water and glug its a horrible feeling
I do find a soft crunched up blanket by feet really nice and long one on side of leg it allows me to support leg and keep foot up with blanket which is slightly more comfortable


20/01/2015
 
@Homeport Sounds like we have a global phenomenon. All us kneesies doing the funny sleep position routine☺
 
Oh my goodness! Sure had some good chuckles over the sleeping predicament we all seem to suffer from! Such a small world! Thanks to everyone who has coached me as well about relearning how to walk, I have been trying today to be more conscious of my gait, and it does help. Still haven't ventured outside to walk in the neighbourhood yet, had another blast of winter rip through today with almost an inch of snow, -6 degrees Celsius right now and a little slippery underfoot.
:snow dig:
 
Tomorrow is 6 weeks since my BTKR! The time has sure gone fast! Range measured yesterday right knee 103, left 104, PT pleased, extension almost there. PT says quads are still weak. I'm still walking like a tin soldier though! Not sure if it's bad habits I picked up in the time prior to surgery with the pain, although both knees are still so tight with that rubber band feeling around them. PT wants to try me with treadmill tomorrow to see if I can focus on a better gait, she feels that I am still favouring my left knee. Anybody have any suggestions? I haven't ventured out of the house for a walk around the neighbourhood but I have been out to medical appointments and once to Walmart with hubby for a whole half hour. i ditched the walker at the 3 week mark, felt my balance was good, only use the cane to go up and down the 4 stairs in and out of the garage from the house. I just want to be out enjoying the fresh spring air and walking my dog:doggie:, still a little nervous because of my gait. I'm down to acetaminophen 1 gram three times daily for comfort measures and 220 mg of naproxen at bedtime with my ice packs and pillows twice daily. My biggest complaint right now is the crazy tightness around my knees! How far/long should I attempt for my first few outings, up until about 4 years ago we would walk 2 - 3 miles every evening, as my knees deteriorated our walks got progressively shorter to the point where we would walk less than 1/4 mile and it would take me an hour because we would have to stop at park benches! We live in a beautiful neighbourhood near a small river with trails through the forest and it's so relaxing and serene to walk through it, every season offers a different view! Sorry I'm rambling, just concerned with how funny I'm walking!

I am on week 6 also, left knee 120, right 117. I am favoring my left leg also, Doc said walk slower, take shorter steps and concentrate. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I ice 20 min in the am after my Pt and then use the machine two hours in the evening. Hot pad 20 min at bed time. Still stiff but have come a long way. Try a recumbent bike, mine has worked wonders foe my rom
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had right knee done and I was told longer steps stride out heel ball of foot then toes also in hydrotherapy we have to stride long steps I wonder if it is to do with if one knee. Or two the different advice


20/01/2015
 
Well, seems like I dropped off the face of the earth for a little while! I'm now 8 weeks and two days post BTKR, time has gone fast! Glad it's all behind me! Saw surgeon for my 6 week follow up, he was happy with my progress, reassured me that the flexion will continue to improve as the swelling decreases, he's very understanding, great bedside manner, answered all my questions, wants me to be well recovered before going back to work, I start back on light duties at the end of July. I'm fortunate that I have great income protection and rehab return to work programs. Knees, especially left still swollen and tight feeling. need to continue to ice and rest a few times a day. Physio measured my flexion on Wednesday - right leg 109, left 108. Still not in full extension yet. My gait has improved, not quite the tin soldier march anymore, but left leg still has a bit of a delay in the swing through. Got to start driving again last week! YAY! Went back to Aquasizes this week as well, so, all in all, good progress being made! However..........the sleeping is still an issue! Restless, repositioning, tossing and turning! Thanks again to everyone on Bonesmart for helpful hints, suggestions, encouragement and for generally reminding me that we aren't alone in this journey! @Maggie94, @Homeport and @Parawheels..... Are you sleeping better yet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
5 months and sleep like a baby...first few months were tricky .....nice ROM for you by the end of July you will be doing cartwheels ..

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom