THR gwenc's recovery

Happy Monday, all! Had a good, fun weekend and things are still going well. I have switched back to Advil. I think jumping back and forth from Tylenol to Advil might be a good thing -- not allowing your body to get too used to one thing? :what:
I think the LLD might have subsided just a hair more. I find if I just keep moving/walking - but not for long distances, just short bops around the house very frequently - it keeps the stiffness at bay. And I do think the two things are related. Its harder to stay active on a work day, but I sense things are getting slightly better in that department also.

I love, love, love sitting on my saddle on my saddle rack and dreaming about riding. Just 2 more weeks hopefully I will be able to go for a very short pitty pat on my sweet fat girl. :horseriding:

Speaking of fat did I mention I have gained 10 pounds? UGH!

Hi @gwenc I like your report! I really think that swelling (and associated stiffness) could make us feel LLD. I'm glad you're feeling even a hair less of it!

I don't know how people don't gain weight through this! We are eating to heal, but we are most decidedly not exercising it off! I heard someplace that 14 lbs was the average. I beat that by a mile last hip, and I really hope to keep it at a minimum this time because I have just gotten back into some of my skinny clothes. "Skinny". I will never be what I was at 45 again, I guess. Much less 25...

Many happy dreams on the saddle-- what a fabulous goal to have!!!

Hi all, wow, I haven't posted since Monday - how time flies when one is having fun ha ha! This week was good until today. Today was extremely stressful at work, and I find my pain is always worse on a stressful day. The thing that made it stressful is that I made a mistake (I am a computer programmer) which caused a lot of people a lot of grief. It made me feel so bad! I apologized and I hope all is forgiven, but it just made my whole day tough! Also hubby and I are leaving on a 4 day trip to Maine tomorrow morning early, so I was already stressing about that (even though I am also looking forward to being there, I hate traveling!) and then work just put me over the top. Anyhow - waaaah waaaaaah waaaaah! :banghead:

Shall I have some cheese with my whine?

Hope ALL of our weekends are stress-free and pain free! ONWARD!!!

I'm sure all will be forgiven at work @gwenc .....after all, who doesn't make mistakes? A 4 day trip to Maine may be just what the doctor ordered. I hope it relieves your stress, also any pain you may have and that you come back relaxed and recharged.
Safe travels!

You are doing wonderful Gwen. Hope the travels aren't too rough on you.
I know you will be glad to ride again...will be nice to pursue our passions again. I'm going to work in doing that too.

Well hello there to all my fellow smarties! I am back from a fantastic trip to Maine. Before leaving I had a slight worry because my brothers house is HUGE and has big staircases - both inside the house and outside leading down to the water. We are in Florida and have a single level house so I was a bit concerned about how I would be able to handle them. Well guess what? Not only could I walk the stairs "normally" - meaning a full step up with both legs - both up and down - but I realized after the first day it was actually helping me! I was up those stairs at least 4 or 5 times per day without problems. I remember @Gone again saying he lives in a house with lots of stairs and walks them all day long, and he is doing quite well. So I highly recommend trying stairs if you are around this point in your recovery. The other thing I did this weekend for the first time is swimming. I was concerned about this beforehand, but when I got out of the water I actually felt almost normal - my leg was completely loose. We also took several short hikes 1-2 miles and I did them at a pretty good clip (with my trekking poles) with no pain and no issues afterwards. Monday marked my 12 weeks post op, and I am cautiously optimistic that this is a big turning point for me. I was cleared to ride after 12 weeks, so I think I am going to try it very soon. I am a happy girl!

@gwenc Great update! Sounds like you are well on your way to that forgotten hip. Well done!

@Jaycey well I don't know about "forgotten" LOL, but I finally feel comfortable with where I am in my journey to full recovery. I am not scared any more.

What a great update @gwenc
You sound happy! So nice that you had a great time and felt improvements also.
Sounds like you were able to pack in a lot of activity, without pain.
A great rest of the week to you....

:goodpost:Yay for you @gwenc...the confidence that comes from doing those little things is amazing isn't it?
I remember the first time I put on my socks without crunching hip pain a week after my surgery.
So happy you are back to pursuing your passions.

Yes indeed. That water was like a miracle. Although I am doing pretty good and have no hip pain, I still have quite a bit of groin and thigh tightness. I am getting a 3 month membership at a local gym so I can swim regularly. Hoping that will get me from 75% to 100%! Well, that and riding!

Wow, ZF, I didn't realize you were only at 5 weeks! You are doing great!

Thanks @Gone again ! I do NOT plan to renew my membership in the ODIC!!!! I just need to be patient and careful for the next 3 months or so, and then I hope I will be home free. Patience is NOT one of my virtues so this has been a difficult journey for me. But thanks to my B/S buddies, I am getting there!

OMG!!!!!! I sat in the saddle for the first time today on my Noey girl (she's the one in my profile pic)! Just walked around in the round pen for 5-10 minutes or so. It felt fine and made me so happy! Noey was such a good girl, totally calm and acted like she never had the summer off. I have been weaning myself off the Advil this week, and woke up feeling extremely stiff. After my mini-ride everything felt loose and good. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!

Yay, so glad for you. Happy happy joy joy!:horseriding::yahoo:

Good morning
That's fantastic to be able to start claiming your life back.
Also thanks for jump starting Josephine for me, very thoughtful of you.
Have a great holiday weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks