Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gunu_21's Recovery Thread

Never let PT massage your knee, unless you are okay with it! It set me back a good week!
 
Always remember that you are the boss and the surgeon and PT works for you, not the other way around. You should always have the final say in your treatment. If they continue to do what you tell them not to, then it's assault and you can have them arrested.

I'm one of those who never took formal PT. I've had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing, I am not a lazy person! I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs along with the necessary house and yard work. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation were a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing, and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do or anyone touching it.
 
Hi , further to my recovery , I am now 4 weeks post op , I told my PT that I am taking a break for a week as aunty Flo is visiting last Wednesday . The Physio told me last session that he wants to mobilize my knee by massage as that is the only way to get more bend and it won't happen without pressing and pain , I disagree.
I am unable to lift my leg by itself till now despite trying all the quad exercises. I think my quads are really weak.
I still can't walk without my walker though I can walk with my walker for around 20 minutes at a time. I have a cementless press fit knee.

I have been trying the gentle heel slides slides on bed and while sitting, also tried dangling my knee and sitting and then coming forward on a chair to get a deeper bend . I do the quad strengthening exercises where I press on a towel with my knee and also try and do leg lifts but the lift doesn't come despite following all instructions. My bend without my physio since past week has gone from 80 to 90 and if I try a bit more it can go up to 102 while sitting , haven't measured it while lying down yet. My physio told me to get an exercise bike for next session. Any recommendation for a cheap and effective exercise bike. I am a bit lost on what to do with my physiotherapist . As I feel all the actual exercises which have helped have come through internet and I will not let him massage my knee in future.

P S. I joined one step program and had a session with their PT on zoom and started on their exercise program today.
 
The Physio told me last session that he wants to mobilize my knee by massage as that is the only way to get more bend and it won't happen without pressing and pain , I disagree.


P S. I joined one step program and had a session with their PT on zoom and started on their exercise program today.
You are correct and this sounds like a physio I would run from as fast as possible! Personally I would dump the Phisio and just stick to the one step program. Their PT’s specialize in joint replacement recovery, most PT’s are clueless when it comes to joint replacements.
 
I agree, you don’t need a PT who promotes a painful protocol. Stick with the One Step program.

Your bend will come along fine all by itself, no need to keep trying different exercises for it. Quad strength will also improve as you heal.
 
Hi , further to my recovery , I am now 4 weeks post op , I told my PT that I am taking a break for a week as aunty Flo is visiting last Wednesday . The Physio told me last session that he wants to mobilize my knee by massage as that is the only way to get more bend and it won't happen without pressing and pain , I disagree.
Massage to relax the muscles is one thing, but "pressing and pain" I'd disagree with.
 
I am 6.5 weeks post op. My recovery is slow and I have accepted it .Last week at 5.5 weeks I could finally do straight leg lifts after trying everything. I read in a FB forum that a lady had asked someone to just put two fingers underneath her ankles while she tried doing supine leg lifts so I asked my daughter to help . Voila!! It worked and I was able to do straight leg lifts though it does hurt . I never called my physiotherapist back so have only been doing one-step programme and basic exercises .

I had an appointment with my OS at six weeks , I was dreading the appointment as I still can't walk without my walker and I wasn't sure how much bend I will get. I had my x-ray an hour before the apartment . Doctor was super nice and joked during the appointment. He saw my X rays and told me that it takes three months for the cementless knee prostheses to have proper bone growth and he made an appointment after six weeks with a repeat x-ray an hour before the appointment. He eyeballed my bend while sitting and said it was around 100 without any pushing. He made me do leg raises and said extension and leg raises are more important than even flexion. He was concerned about me walking with a walker and made me walk a few steps back and forth without it to assess my gait . He felt I needed to strengthen my leg and asked if I would like to see an in person outpatient physiotherapist and referred me to another physiotherapist who specialises in rehab and I start with him from Tuesday.

I also got my first covid vaccination yesterday after a go ahead from my surgeon so my arm is a bit sore .I am currently only taking two paracetamols a day in the morning and evening. My goal is to walk without a walker asap as my wrists and elbows really hurt with using the walker.

I think I have followed the bone smart way and it's working. I would appreciate any tips to help me walk unassisted. I thank all of you who respond , encourage , share , offer tips and advice
 
You might be interested in the OneStep program. @Jamie can answer any questions you might have.

 
@ Jockette, I am already following one step programme , it's going well but because I have tennis elbows and both my wrists hurt because of using the walker , I thought two times a week outpatient physical therapy with equipments at the PT place like stationary cycle etc might help in speeding up things. Its hard to do housework and carrying stuff around the house with a walker :(
 
I thought two times a week outpatient physical therapy with equipments at the PT place like stationary cycle etc might help in speeding up things.
While these things can be helpful, you really can’t speed up your recovery, we each heal at our own rate.

I held onto my walker very tightly, too, and I realized I really didn’t have to do that, or I would end up hurting something else, like you mentioned. For me it was a confidence issue. I lightened up my grip on it and my shoulders and wrists did relax, too.

Just because your surgeon is concerned that you are still using a walker doesn’t mean you have to be concerned. At only 6 weeks post op, in this 52 week/one year recovery, you have lots of time to improve, and you will. Try not to worry.:console2:
 
I'm glad you feel the OneStep program is helpful. You are wise to keep using your walker as long as you need it. Some knees just take a little longer than others. I think your outpatient therapy will be helpful if you don't have access to an exercise bike at home. It will help strengthen your legs and improve flexibility without stressing tender joint soft tissue. Be sure to start off with no resistance on the pedals. You may need to stay with no resistance for some time until all the healing takes place inside your knee. Also, be sure to let your OneStep therapist know of any additional exercise or activity so your program can be adjusted if needed. Their therapists are used to working with local therapy programs so that you get the best of both worlds. You should start seeing some improvements in your gait with a little time. Hang in there.....it can go slowly, but your body is in charge of the timetable.
 
Gunu - We had our TKR on the same day. I found the quad strengthening exercises are so valuable, as that ( and some other tendons, etc. that are moved during surgery) need to refind themselves. Pressing your knee down on a rolled towel (not too thick) is good, and not too difficult. I was asked to do 30, holding down for 5 seconds, and do it 4 or 5 times a day. Also, roll the towel thinker, place it under your knee, and press your quads etc. tight, then try to lift your leg straight using the knee as a hinge. If that's hard, it's probably not time to be doing lunges (I'm not there yet) or squats. I was told the first 6 weeks are all about building range of motion and some strength. The next weeks are more about walking, stairs, etc. I'm starting with that tomorrow at PT. And - ice is awesome!
 
The stationary bike might help both with bend and strengthening. Just listen to the knee and don't try to go too intensely on day 1. The PT can help you build your confidence and give you a good idea when you're ready to graduate to a cane. My PT was good in that regard.
 
@ Jockette , you are right , I observed my walking stance and indeed I was holding to the walker too tight so I have now stopped doing that. You know little tips by all the people who have gone through the same experience and have faced similar issues are one of the reasons I joined bonesmart as sometimes even little things can make a big difference.
@Atkinson , I have been doing those quad exercises , the ones which are really painful are those short arc quads with a big towel rolled underneath my knee where I try to lift it . As you know I could not do any kind of leg lifts until 5.5 weeks post op. I guess the quads need more work so I will try and do them more often. It's great to know we are surgery twins :-)
@kneeper , that's great advice . I hope I am able to walk unassisted as that for me will be a big deal as it means I have some semblance of normalcy in my everyday life in doing chores as it's really hard to do stuff with a walker.
 
@ Jamie, thanks for your advice and feedback . I have been in touch with my physiotherapist at one step on the app. Each day I do the exercises I send a detailed feedback on what I could and couldn't do and they always modify the exercises accordingly. I think one step is a great programme.
I do understand that my body has its own rhythm and will recover in its own time but sometimes we do get impatient and have doubts. This surgery and recovery has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life , it even beats natural childbirth . However coming on bonesmart , posting , venting , reading other people's journey makes it a bit bearable , especially the helpful advice given by the moderators and so many other members. I am so thankful for this forum .
 
So further in my recovery yesterday I had my first outpatient physiotherapy session. The physiotherapist was a very experienced Rehab specialist and he also had an intern with him . He was really compassionate and funny. He assessed my knee and told me I had done very well indeed without an in person physiotherapist.

I showed them the one-step programme , he thought it was really good and told me that he will do exercises with me which will complement the one step programme and help with gait , balance and strengthening. He wanted to know my goals and I told him that my short term goal is to walk unassisted and long term to be able to do 8000 steps a day , all my normal stuff I did earlier and back to salsa dancing after a decade of stopping due to knee pain. He said we will work to reach those goals and we can do it but it will take time and hard work.

He measured and told me that my extension is 0 and my flexion is 110 but he was a bit concerned about a pocket of my knee which is numb and was warm to touch. He made me do short arc quads on the table with a towel under my knee. He also made me walk without a walker holding my hand minding the heel toe rule. I could walk in the treatment room very carefully like that . He also made me get on a treadmill and taught me to safely get off and on and practise walking at a slow pace. Next he made me sit on a bike and taught me how to safely get on and put my feet in the paddle. I could do full rotations. I did slow rotations on the bike for five minutes .

He later made me do stretches sitting while pushing against an exercise ball against wall. Next I was asked to do some hamstring stretches while standing . He also taught some balancing exercises which he asked me to practise at home and gave me a variation on one step exercises for hip bridge looking at the state of my knee which would be easier for me to do.

After I came home I just took a shower , grabbed a bite , put something in the oven to bake for family and took my ice pack and strapped to my knee, popped a paracetamol and I just fell asleep and slept for six hours straight. Strangest thing was, I could sleep a few hours later again the whole night through. Today morning I am feeling fine and normal.
 
My PT said if you're sore form more than 2 hours after exercises you've done too much. Just keep listening to your knee when the PT has you do various exercises.

Your knee may stay warm for a while and it is normal to have a numb area. Both will gradually diminish. My first knee was warm for months but healed just fine. You aren't even at 2 months yet.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom