THR Groin & Thigh Pain 5 Months After<

I note it says in the article "studies are beginning to show that PPIs could — the jury's out still — cause some problems". I also read some of the studies that have been done - there are very few actually - and none of them had more than 200 subjects which I think is an extremely small study. Far too small to be reliable. The author is right - the jury's still out - a very long way out!
 
@Josephine you are right. I started the bridges at home and caused nerve pain I'm having to be worse. Called doc's office to let them know. Doc said "if it hurts, don't do it!" :thumb:
by the way, love Christmas kitty pic!!!!:kittychris:
 
Went to the OS last week. He believes that my iliapsoas tendon might be rubbing up against the edge of the implanted cup causing inflammation. The next step might be a cortisone shot under a fluoroscope.
 
Good luck. I feel like I'm going backward. Went to PT - did mild exercises. Hurt more than ever. My attitude stinks. I've been positive for two months now but getting fed up. Need an out-of-body experience. [emoji3]
 
Went to PT - did mild exercises. Hurt more than ever.
Well, I must have told you this before now - hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Josephine - I really do hear you. Have been telling the PT no to several exercises and feeling much better as a result. Are you the originator of BoneSmart?
Because of you I've been elevating and icing almost 10-12 times daily. Thank you.
 
Read the history. I'm so impressed and thrilled to have found you. Your emphasis on rest, ice, elevate, and take your Meds on time is how I've been living my life. You've helped me so much. Thank you. Barbara
 
Last week, I was given a cortisone injection in the psoas tendon to possibly relieve an impingement. The OS told me that IF the shot worked, I would have immediate pain relief. WELL... no relief. I am now doing PT for six weeks with stretching only. No strengthening. If not better, I believe he will try releasing the psoas tendon. Has anyone else had this course of action? Thanks
 
Do you know what the impingement was?? I hope the injections help with the pain.
 
@remo7 did your surgeon say how the injection would reduce an impingement? What is the PT supposed to do for you?
 
My surgeon thinks that the psoas is inflamed due to rubbing up against the cup. By the looks of the x-rays, the cup is sticking out beyond the bone just so very slightly. He said that this occurs in around one in sixty THR's. he thinks that the PT might help stretch the psoas so it no longer rubs the cup.
 
My OS says that I now have three choices to relieve the pain in my groin.
1. Nothing
2. Psoas tendon release
3. Replace the mis-alligned cup

Thoughts?
 
My OS says that I now have three choices to relieve the pain in my groin.
1. Nothing
2. Psoas tendon release
3. Replace the mis-alligned cup

Thoughts?

I would always start with the least invasive and work up.
 
Yes. I've read the article. I don't believe I've been over-doing it. I've been doing a lot of icing and elevating. I lie in bed mostly and only sit for meals. I walk everyday while doing daily activities that I must do, but I thought after 7 weeks it's abnormal to be in so much pain. also my thigh looks slightly swollen, pinkish, and warm to the touch. My surgeon said he usually doesn't encounter someone suffering like this 7 weeks after surgery so he referred me to the Physical Therapist. She did deep tissue massage and said I should mainly walk for about 7-10 minutes 3 times a day plus gentle squats and leg lifts.

I'm just trying to let my body heal, have avidly read your mantra and have been practicing it.

I know being 71 my body takes longer to heal but I get scared when I'm in a lot of pain, and get worried that I'll never get well.


I was going through a metal detector and I told the gentleman I had a hip replacement so it would go off. He said I had 2. His advice was walk, walk, walk. I think I did too much lying around because I hated the pain. I am 5 months post op and loving water exercise and I do walk without a cane finally. We are recovery from a major surgery. We did not have a tooth pulled. Our bodies are beautifully and wonderfully made but each one of us is made differently.
 
Re: NSAIDS --I'm here to say that just months prior to my surgery I found out I have an ulcer in my small bowel from NSAID use long term. Like I've told people, I had a good, long run with them, so can't complain. I may try turmeric to see if this helps. I've also read about harmful effects of Prilosec and am weaning off. See : https://www.health.harvard.edu/digestive-health/do-ppis-have-long-term-side-effects. The Prilosec was given for NSAID use anyway. :fingersx:

Ah, pain meds! So for 6 months Advil was part of my meals, then I discovered Aleve. My stomach was not happy at all and started throwing up with a lot of pain after meals. Well they did a scope and they found lesions in the lining of my stomach and was due to the any medication that is an anti inflammatory. Then came the narcotics. I thought I was going to loose my mind. Depression, anxiety and then the withdrawal. So like you I am going to try tumeric but I'm at the point where I don't trust anything I put into my mouth. I have to have my other hip fine and I have no idea what I am going to do for pain
 
@remo7 how are you and have you decided what to do? I see my surgeon again on Monday for what I think may be similar issues.
 
It doesn't look like the cup revision is an option right now. He suggested that it be done posteriorally, but since I had the THR in July, 2016, he thought it would be too soon to have it done. He said it would compromise the joint this soon after anterior hip replacement.

I really like the OS, but I'm going to get a second opinion in the first week of April to see if the tendon release is best for my symptoms.

The pain seems to be getting worse every day. It's now not just in the groin, but in my upper thigh, and around the knee. Maybe the knee pain is from walking differently to compensate?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom