TKR greeneyedtattedgirl's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a bad dose of PT. If she was so insensitive, would you consider changongs PTs? How have you been holding up emotionally? Your last post sounded much better.
 
Hi Sheila,
Just checking in to see how you are doing. How are things out east?

You had your surgery done the day after my first one. I had troubles getting my ROM up as well but it will come. My second knee that was done on the 3rd seems to be doing much better on ROM. I don't think there is too much control we have over our ROM. If you are doing your exercises and are elevating and icing, there should be no reason it does not come eventually. That being said, while I was under for my second TKR, my surgeon did manipulate the first one and it has improved it a lot. I would not have chosen to do a MUA but I have to say, it is good to have more mobility. You may want to consider it if there is no other option.

I have come to realize poor pain control not only slows your recovery, the slower recovery, leads to increased anxiety for me!

So happy that you are finding the right balance of pain vs meds and that your anxiety has lessened.

Try not to be too stressed about going back to work yet. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. Your ROM will have improved by then and you will have the schedule of the day to keep your mind off of the pain if you are still experiencing it.

Will you ease back into it and start part time? I went back part time in between my surgeries (worked 10-2) and I will try to negotiate that when I go back this time as well. I expect I will go back at the beginning of August and work 10-2 the first couple of weeks; 8:30 - 2 the next two weeks; and then back to full time hours after Labour Day. Hoping my boss will be agreeable to that.

Anyway, I hope you are doing okay and that things continue to improve for you! :)
 
@ 71Beetle so sorry half my msg disappeared! Thank you! I did finally find a good balance! Still having hard time with swelling despite elevating and icing. Knee is sooooooooo tight does not want to bend. Argh
 
@greeneyedtattedgirl
It is unfortunate, but this recovery is up to you. It takes a lot of patience. PT's (not all) but some just don't get it.
Your knee is in charge. If it was that was that uncomfortable, you overdid, not on purpose, I know, so don't beat yourself up. It is a process. I am just beyond 95 at 13 weeks. I found a new PT who really gets it, and without even working my knee got me to another 15 degrees just today. He believes that when the nervous system is in overdrive (which mine is) it delays healing, so his first priority is to relaxation stuff to cool down my nervous system. It is quite interesting
I am so sad that your PT didn't listen. As others have said Go find a new PT that listens. I had to and I believe I will really be able to work with him. He gets the anxiety/depression piece.
I share this with you because we have some similarities. I, as always, wish you the best.
~hopefaith
 
@greeneyedtattedgirl
I hope I did not sound harsh in the above message. I did not mean to at all. I really resonate with what you have and are going through. I really do care. This recovery is so brutal and people who have not been there do not get it (even if they are PT's) @Pumpkln (you are one of the awesome ones)
I pray you can find a good one that is gentle and kind to that knee.
h.f.
 
@hopefaith no worries I did not take it that way! We are assigned a PT. we have no choice who unless you pay privately which I am unable to do :( would you please explaine the nervous system approach?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
Well, the way it was explained to me @greeneyedtattedgirl was that when our nervous system is revved up, our brain communicates to the rest of the body that we are in danger. Consequently, we tighten up. In my case my knee stays at a lower ROM, because it is in the fight, flight or freeze mode. Once the nervous system calms down, theoretically the rest of the body will become more relaxed. (Cortisol which is a stress hormone dumps a lot of stuff into our system which changes the chemistry in our bodies.) This is how it was explained to me...disclaimer, I am not a doctor and am restating what this PT said to me. I do very much believe stress hormones affect us way beyond what we realize.

I will let you know how it goes, as I have just started. It makes sense though given what I have had happen since my surgery. I have had extreme anxiety and depression and he says he has seen really good results with people like me......so I will see.

I am sorry you can't pick a better PT. I still think you can tell them what you will and won't do. Your knee will protest a lot if you push it too much. With my last PT, I quit, because I was in such pain after, even though at the session, I didn't feel pain.
I am sorry for the long post.
~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@hopefaith thank you, I think it makes perfect sense as I am very nervous about my return to work deadline. My panic and anxiety are under control now :) but I am feeling very stressed and I have not progressed in ROM since it started despite doing what I have been advised by PT. I definitely worked too hard yesterday at PT because im right back on the couch again today in severe pain. Suppose to go tomorrow may take the day off depending on how I feel.
Thank you
Sheila

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
Ended up going to physio, if for nothing else a heart to heart with Therapist. Glad I went. Made it through my routine minus leg extension machine did cpl new exercises balancing on a half ball and rocking board. Best of all I measured 107 ROM today unassisted This past Tuesday I was 95 ROM.. VERY HAPPY! !!!!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
We are assigned a PT. we have no choice who unless you pay privately which I am unable to do
I think you'd do much better if you quite PT altogether. You don't need it and they're just making you more anxious with all these shoulds, oughts and musts! I never did any PT at all, as do most UK patients, and things work out just fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom