TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I used to write my medications and the time they were due in a little note book. As I took a dose, I ticked that one in my notebook, so I never ran the risk of forgetting, or of taking a dose twice.
 
Moving to the recliner is not working out as I thought it would! I think I'm on the roller coaster now. My nest is built and I did drowse for about two hours. Then I woke up needing a pee. I made it to the toilet but just barely and I made a whole lot of noise getting there! I ended up waking my husband, who then made us a cup of mint tea and now I've taken a hydromorphone and am trying to go back to sleep. Not a lot of success I'm afraid. Well the night of surgery and the night after I had two really good sleeps and I guess I thought that's what it would be like. Back to the drawing board I guess. Our be it's too high for me to get in and out of quickly. Maybe the pilotpu couch? My siteswe has moved to the spare bedroom but maybe that's wheel I should be. It's a single bed there but it's lower to the floor. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.
OMG! Is that the post of someone who is out of it or what?!? I did end up sleeping quite well in the recliner so I may do that again tonight. Right now it's time for a shower. YAY!!
 
Ha ha! @GrandmaChris - I spent my first night home downstairs on a sofa bed as I find it easier to get in and out of when needed for the dreaded bathroom “run”.
I’m going to go upstairs later on for a shower, then back down for the day to the recliner and lots of ice!
 
Okay I've showered and how good does that feel! I took a photo of my incision before I covered it. I will try to upload it. Yay! It worked! How cool is this? So little bruising and such a nice clean incision. This was done four days ago. I am a happy camper
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Grandma Chris gets a new knee!
    FB_IMG_1543088490185.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 263
@buzzybee how are you feeling today in relation to yesterday? I am spacing my drugs and seem to have found a plan that works well for me. Today is so much better than yesterday! There does not seem to be any pain when I stand on my op foot and after my shower I was able to stride - using the walker of course.
 
It's my first wake up of the night so I'm getting caught up on my diary. This was a good day with not a lot of pain except in the top of my operated foot. I've always had problem with terribly flat feet and the associated arthritis on top of the foot. Had a successful mad dash to the loo. Found my chin strap so will use my CPAP machine for this next leg. Maybe it will help me sleep longer. Mobility was much improved today. With spacing my meds every two hours I've decided that I'll do a walk then too. Just around the apartment. Except for some stiffness when I first push off, after a few steps I can stride instead of shuffle. That's a great feeling! Also I've decided to try bending my leg a little. I'm pretty determined not to let physio feel like they have to get tough with me. When I had my hip done they were quite happy with my movement and didn't try to force anything on me. I hope it will be the same now!
 
Just remember to always stay in control at PT! Your knee is the boss, no one else!
 
Well my CPAP machine is telling me I slept right through for almost five hours. You can imagine the mad dash to the washroom after that! Still no success with the poop fairy except for last Thursday. I've been taking two stool softeners a day and last night had a Get Up And Go cookie. They taste pretty darn good. I hesitate on going straight to laxatives as that can be very hard on my tummy. I'll see what happens today. Yesterday was reasonably non eventful. A little less pain that feels like pain, a whole lot more discomfort - as in I need to move my leg but not sure in what way. When that happened I went for a walk around the apartment. I'm looking forward to going outside but I've got those 22 steps to face first. Today I may try some of the heel slides that Josephine recommends, unless that's too soon? Tomorrow is one week anniversary and first physio is on Thursday. Would be nice to show some progress beyond walking. Friends dropped in with food yesterday so that's the next couple of dinners sorted. Hubby is lovely and willing to cook but does not have a vast repertoire of recipes! It will be nice to have something different.
 
Why oh why do people insist on pushing aggressive exercise?!? There are two people in my life who have had knee replacements in the last 18 months to a year. A good friend who recommended the cryocuff and who has not had a stellar experience. She has achieved just a little beyond 90 degrees in this time. She's had an MUA to not much avail. He surgeon has told her that she has particularly aggressive or thick scar tissue and that her result now is as good as it will get. The other is a male acquaintance who is also not happy with his results. Both of these people said they did all the physio that was recommended and that it's extremely important that I work the physio hard. I don't know, I think I've already posted this...
 
They made have had issues anyway, but maybe their issues are because they did all those exercises.

They tell you to do these things because they truly believe it’s important and want you to have a better outcome than they did. They’ve bought into what so many of us are told to do.

Thankfully, those of us who have found Bonesmart have learned that there is a gentler way to recover that is effective. I’m sad for those who haven’t found us and believe they have to be aggressive.
 
People push aggressive exercise for a couple reasons. Perhaps it worked for them. More often, though, they push it because it was hammered into their heads that THIS is the only way to recover from a TKR.

Case in point: My mom. She was told she must do all the exercises, and work hard, else she would develop scar tissue and her knee would freeze in place and never bend. She believed this. She still believes it. She only did a little PT, though, stopped exercising or going to PT when her knee swelled up, and ended up recovering by just doing a little stationary bike riding every day, extending the time and resistance, until her knee was healed. She has great flexion. Great knees. She did NOT do all her exercises. I know.

When I got my knees replaced, my mom kept telling me I had to work hard, and do all the exercises no matter how hard they are, because if I didn’t I would end up with gobs of scar tissue and frozen, unmoving knees. :shrug:

You’d think she’d know better. But in their efforts to be helpful, people will often repeat what they’ve heard, not what they know.

That’s why here on BoneSmart the experiences of members are so helpful and useful. The advice is from people telling what they know. For what it’s worth, I know, from my own recovery, that a relaxed recovery focused on gentle rehabilitation worked. :)
 
Thank you both for your replies. I know this is a better way! I had my hip replaced in 2014 and I followed the Bonesmart way of healing for it and really, it was a textbook recovery. I've added the link to that thread to my signature. My first out of hospital physio is this Thursday and I am determined that I will not let anyone hurt me nor will I push myself to pain. I am having a great recovery so far - minimal swelling, one small bruise to the outside of my kneecap, pain well controlled with my medication. I want a great recovery for this surgery too!
 
I will not be going to PT next time. It’s not necessary.
 
Glad you are doing so well. My remedy for getting the bowels working is prunes and Metamucil. I also used Milk of Magnesia for a couple of days, with lots of water, when I first got home from the hospital. Glad you have support with meals.
 
Today has not been as good. My leg hurts, just a steady 3/4 that the meds are not bringing down a lot. I have been prescribed 1 to 2 hydromorphone every four hours or as needed. I have been taking one every four hours and I think for today that was a mistake. Some bruising showing up today too. That must mean my body is in serious healing mode, eh? Next hydromorphone four I will take 2. Just feeling quite blah today. Tomorrow is one week anniversary and that will be the end of that first week. Everyone says that's the worst but it hasn't been had for me at all. I reread my hip thread today and clearly that was not as good an experience. Oh I feel whiny!
 
Whine away - that’s what we’re here for :console2:. Sorry you are having pain issues today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. You are right - week one is especially tough. May week two be much better.
 
:console2::console2:

There will be days like this. This recovery is not a straight every day is better recovery, it’s a rollercoaster with lots of ups and downs and even some sideways thrown in. We’ve all been there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom