Guest viewing is limited

THR Gotter done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I’m on day 6 post op, and day 4 being home. I have to say most things are going better than I expected.
I did 2 milestones that were important to me 2 days ago.
  1. I took a shower in our bathtub. I was concerned about my op leg clearing the high tub walls. With help from my wife we did it. Felt SO GOOD to be clean- all of me clean at one time. Sponge baths don’t make me feel very clean.
  2. (Sorry, gross) Had my first post op bowel movement. The pain meds constipate me really badly. I used someone on this forum’s suggestion about prune juice and milk of magnesia. Felt great, and that’s all I’ll say about that.
I haven’t heard yet from my home physical therapist, so I’ve been winging it.(I intend to contact them today.) I’ve been walking a lot every day. I also found some post op exercises on youtube to do.
Yesterday I did half my walking with a cane instead of the walker. I didn’t find it to be too much more difficult than the walker.
Also yesterday, again relying on youtube as a how to guide, I went up and down our stairs twice. Going down is much more difficult than going up. My quadriceps were/are very sore last night and this morning- I suspect it was the stairs.
My scar looks good. Way better than I expected. No puffiness, redness, or leakage. Temperature is good.
I guess I have no complaints, and feel very blessed. If I had a complaint it would be the trips to the bathroom. I have an enlarged prostate and have frequent trips to the bathroom.
Anyways, that’s where I am. Thanks again for all the education and encouragement.
Spencer
 
Spencer! I am two weeks post op tomorrow. Use ice when sore. It's such a relief!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
Sounds like you are doing really well
 
How long does the thigh stay numb? Generally speaking.
 
Following with great interest. My thigh is currently numb with no signs of getting better. My doctor advised me that everyone is different. It could take up to 6 weeks or even never (no complications if forever)
 
@spencermm, I have again merged your new thread with your recovery thread. As Jo asked earlier, can you please keep all your recovery questions on this thread? That way we can keep track of your progress without having to look all over the forum.
How long does the thigh stay numb? Generally speaking.
This differs with everyone. And it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the approach used. Nerves get traumatised during the op. They can take awhile to settle.
 
(Sorry moderators. My reasoning was that I was asking a question about other's recovery so I thought it might warrant a new thread. My bad. Won't happen again.)
It seems like I read somewhere on here that someone felt numb in small areas of the thigh even years post op.
M1KE, yeah, I'm so pleased with my results that I'm ok with it if it is a long term or even a forever thing.
 
(@spencermm, you're forgiven---just don't let it happen again :heehee:.) If you're wanting to broach a new subject and want a response right away---you can always tag an admin or mod or anyone else you'd like to hear from.

I have no numb areas as a result of my hip replacement, but I have numb areas on the outer side of both knees from knee replacements---but I'm only aware of it when I touch those areas for some reason.
 
Day 12 post op and I walked about 20 feet with no walker or cane. It wasn't graceful or pretty, but it was steps. My recovery is going so much better than I had imagined. I frequently imagine the worst, so- grain of salt.
Actually, the surgery went better than I'd imagined too. I was telling my wife last night that the most painful part of the whole ordeal- the parts that I was awake for, was the removal of the catheter, lol. Nurse said I would feel "...a little pinch". She and I had a playful but loud conversation about the definition of "a little pinch" :)
 
Hey, spencermm! How are you feeling today? I have no left hip pain at all, drove to grocery store and used a cart to shop on Sunday, yay!
 
Hey, spencermm! How are you feeling today? I have no left hip pain at all, drove to grocery store and used a cart to shop on Sunday, yay!
Doing pretty good Waterman. I can't claim no hip pain, but I'd say it's at a 2 and below.
I too went to the grocery store and a farmers market. I did good but was very fatigued at the end of the day. Glad you're doing so well!
 
Grocery store at two weeks postop? Be careful my man... Is your PT person doing a good job for you? Mine came every other day for three weeks...
 
Grocery store at two weeks postop? Be careful my man... Is your PT person doing a good job for you? Mine came every other day for three weeks...
No. I had a hard time hooking up with my PT. She came out once last week and is supposed to come today.
I went online and found some PT exercises for hip replacement patients and had been doing them religiously. I'm now doing the exercises the pt gave me, as they seem more fruitful.
I'm following the creed too- "If it hurts don't do it...", etc.
 
I have little or no left hip pain. I still have a slightly swollen foot but that is about all remaining from the surgery. I office from my home, so I sit in front of my desk and computer for too long, and must remember to get up and walk around. What is your walking plan this week, meaning how often and how far?
 
I have little or no left hip pain. I still have a slightly swollen foot but that is about all remaining from the surgery. I office from my home, so I sit in front of my desk and computer for too long, and must remember to get up and walk around. What is your walking plan this week, meaning how often and how far?
I don't actually know how much I walk. It's a lot, and multiple times a day. It's probably 90% of my whole workout. It's paying off too. I'm off the walker and just use the cane now, except for middle of the night, half asleep bathroom trips. I don't trust myself to not trip or something half asleep.
I also started making short trips across the room with no cane or walker. It's pretty pathetic looking walking, but walking none the less.
 
spencermm: I walk a lot. Even though my right hip hurts, I want to walk. Before surgery, I walked only if I had to. I can tell my left hip is strong and I probably am placing way too much body weight on the left hip now than I should. But I am walking up and down the driveway with two canes and one cane. I can really cover ground with two canes if I just take the pain the right hip is giving me. Like you, I use the walker at night from bed to bathroom and that is it, done with the walker. I will watch movies in bed and elevate the surgical leg on two pillows. I am still sleeping on my back. How about you? My question to you is this: Do you have any pain in the non surgical hip? Does it pop and crack like mine? I keep hoping the opposite hip is supposed to hurt a little I guess, so tell me straight up if you have any pain or not, please...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom