THR Got'er done!

Thanks Layla, yeah, got off a phone call with a colleague south of Chicago; really cold! Cars not starting, runs from car to office/shops, etc. She even said she will go out and start the car periodically during the day at the office; she too mentioned a let up this weekend.

I don't "think" the half-mile is pushing too much; seemed just about right as there are some elevation changes and if I break it up talking to neighbors out and about, should be manageable--just need to build up over time. Feel pretty good after five hours, no nagging pain like I overdid things, so will keep things moderate and watched closely.

Stay warm!

Yes, we did see lots of change all over Shanghai for sure! It was a fascinating place to live. There are many days I truly miss living as an expat, especially when buried in snow & dealing with record breaking cold!
:ice:

Wayfarer, Happy 4 week anniversary!

Sounds like you are also doing well as I and are staying active, driving, and working. My walks so far are pretty much the same as yours about 1/2 mile although I need a cane to do so. Are you walking without your cane that far?

Is walking your only PT right now? Your doctor did not insist PT like mine did? Could be the difference in types of surgery.

Just curious. Since you had Anterior surgery are you able to bend over to put socks and shoes on? Pick up stuff off the floor? Get in/ out of vehicle without hesitation? Those things I still can not do but will in a few weeks I think.

I am looking forward this spring (hopefully) to getting back on my fishing boat and motorcycle as I am sure you are counting the days to get on the tennis court.

Hey Blue! Thanks for the follow up...I meant to get in a day a head of you for an update (saw you had one in your thread today, reads like you're doing great!), but been actually kinda busy, not too busy to post here, just distracted.

I am still in discomfort from the surgery, kinda leg muscle stuff (thigh, above the knee, side of the hip), but when I think about the hobbling and limping and pain pre-surgery I am doing fine (I have to remind myself of that). And when I write "discomfort" it's just after first getting up after sitting for a while, driving for a while (am up to an hour and more running around the Bay Area in the car/truck--truck is more comfortable to drive), getting out of bed in the morning, etc. It's just for a minute or two till I can kinda "walk things out." And there's many times during a day of late that I walk, move around, no pain, no limping, no nothin', but still being careful about what I do. I'm clambering up a ladder at work to storage lofts to pull things down and feel far more comfortable on a ladder than pre-surgery. I'm also "lifting" boxes/things like before, but careful; what I tend to do when picking something up off the floor (dog dishes, soap dropped in the shower, or anything else) is kick my operated leg/hip out behind me and off the ground, and use my good leg to bend/stoop to pick something up. If I'm picking up heavier things, I don't do (not yet) the "proper" lift; it's all upper body with the aid of my non-operated leg--again, keeping my operated leg/hip off the ground--just kinda used as balance.

I'm not taking any "real" meds and haven't for the past week. I am continuing with the aspirin twice a day (blood clotting combatant), stool softener, down to my last prescribed Meloxicam, and an oxy in the evening here and there if I've had a busy, somewhat taxing day. I will ice in evening when I can or take the time to do--I should really make a concerted effort every night. And in fact I like it when I do it.

PT; I'm not really doing any per se now after my last home visit. I'm just moving around like I "should" before pre-surgery. Haven't had a need for a cane for over a week now, but may grip something to steady myself and make sure steps, efforts are well...uhmm...as effortless as that can be. I'm not saying I won't try to do some regular PT type stuff down the road, just not now--still enjoying getting around at my own pace and effort. I have 16 stairs at home and I am up and down those repeatedly throughout the day, maybe ten times a day or more? Not sure, I haven't really counted but I think about it. And when peeps say you are doing really well, or I think the same, I am also thinking; knock on wood!

Have my follow up with the surgeon on Thursday. Have a few questions for him. Like what did you put in me? I don't even know. When will my prosthesis "mend" with my bones? I also made some playlist CD's for him; it was he that asked me, what music do you like to listen to being on the operating table? Like I can really make an articulate answer when you've got me all doped up at the mo'. I guess I give him the CD's and say, pop one of these in when I come for the second replacement (or NOT!).

And Blue, to your specifics; read above for picking things up. Although my leg is getting more range of motion, I am still using that sock aid to put socks on in the morning. Normally I don't wear socks (just a pair of loafers), but it's been pretty cold out West here and I think I kind of strained some muscles a couple weeks ago trying to put socks on without any aid. Still need to trim a toe nail or two, too! Those are things I will want to work on; the simplicity of putting on socks unaided, but I don't feel rushed. Regarding tennis; I hope to be playing golf before I attempt to get on a tennis court. And that's something I wanna discuss with my surgeon about skiing again--is that possible?

Oh, and incidentally, I keep thinking my "wing tape" incision thingies are going to fall off. Some have in the past week or two. I basically pulled all the residual (four or five) off in the shower today. Didn't wanna show up with those on meeting with my surgeon. He might be like, what are you still doing with those on? I think airing out that wound/incision is a good thing.

So all in all, I'm feelin' lucky/fortunate/grateful...hope you continue to heal well mate.

Sounds like you're doing well overall, Wayfarer, for just under one month post op.

Just a FYI...you mentioned questioning which prosthetic your surgeon used at your follow up on Thursday. You may find it interesting to get a copy of your surgery notes. I requested mine easily enough through signing a form at one of my visits to the office. It should contain the prosthesis information among other info which you could keep for your personal records.

Wishing you a good week and a great post op visit. Let us know how it goes.
@Wayfarer

When will my prosthesis "mend" with my bones?
My OS seemed particularly interested in bone growth occurring over the top of the stem which occurs over 6-12 weeks.
This stabilizing sign was reassuring to me.

You are doing a lot at only one month out. Please be very careful with any heavy lifting. New hips do not like that.

Take an image of your x-ray on your phone. Always nice to have evidence of your journey.

Wayfarer,

Your progress is so similar to mine. I also have been very busy returning to work. Mostly full time right now and no longer on the couch or recliner most of the day (kind of miss it in a way actually).

I also have a little stiffness after sitting at my desk or driving for as little as 20-30 min. I do not need a cane very much anymore but have to be very careful on those first few steps after sitting. Sometimes I will use the cane for the first few steps then set it aside.

I also have mastered the art of picking up objects with the same technique you mention. Haven't tried anything heavy. For that I just yell for my wife or son and supervise. Still seem to be a long way to be able to squat and pick up something that has any weight to it. Not in any rush either though. I thought maybe since you had the Anterior surgery that you could bend over much easier. I guess our restrictions at this point are pretty much the same.

Periodically I still need a 1/2 of Vicodin or OTC meds. Usually in the evening after an active day along with ice. Too bad I have to choose between Vicodin and beer or Bourbon most times.

I probably should have purchased one of those sock putter onner things but did not. I recently warned my wife when she was helping me put on socks to be careful. Those toe nails could be considered deadly weapons cutting off a finger or two if she is not careful.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Mine is in 2 weeks. For now I just want to ask about climbing in and out of a boat to fish and ride my motorcycle. Let me know what he says on snow skiing and golf.

Layla, never thought of asking for surgery notes; I will inquire about that (if I remember) so thanks for the thought. And yes Jaycey, I've already asked for my more current X-ray before surgery (the OS was suppose to send me before surgery, but hasn't--prob not high on his list of things to do, but will remind him) and certainly my post-surgery X-ray which my PT said probably would be taken when I go in for my follow up tomorrow. So yeah, I would like to document and have those images.

Yes Mojo, that's what I want, is that "stabilizing sign." That will give me the confidence and asssurance(s) of taking things to higher levels; namely, probably, more exercise. I look in the mirror now and am like, I didn't have my stomach operated on, I'm not pregnant, but it looks like I have gained perhaps some weight from inactivity; I don't want to step on the scale in the bathroom. I thought about you today. I was walking through CVS this morning feeling good hip-wise and thinking, wow, what if I had both hips done and I was feeling this good after having both done!? I certainly didn't want to consider that in my first couple weeks of recovery ie glad I was only dealing with one replacement. Plus of course, my right hip doesn't need replacement, yet I suppose.

Yes Blue, I think we are on par with each other, anterior vs posterior aside. And yes, I think with the anterior approach I could probably do a few different/more things; you just reminded me that I should ask my OS about picking things up (I need to jot down some notes!). Although, if I was still seeing my PT, this is something we could easily go over. I'm still a little cautious about doing anything stooping etc. But standing and bending over with the leg out I'm more and more comfortable doing. Long story, but I'm going through my aunt's mail of over a year at one of the houses she hasn't lived in for quite some time. I spent over an hour and a half going through things (and I'm not even halfway through the stack!!!), sorting, throwing some stuff away and when it was all said and done that day, Monday, I felt fine being on my feet that long and doing the limited bending I did.

Too bad I have to choose between Vicodin and beer or Bourbon most times.

Can't comment on this, but check your PM.

Hope you can get on your cycle soon. I don't know if you are doing dirt riding or street riding; certainly the latter would be easier to do sooner I would think. I have a Segway that I haven't ridden (actually the term is "glide") it in ages. Certainly cringed at the thought of getting on that thing a couple weeks ago, but thinking to get on it soon. Really, I would like to sell it as I don't use it that much. The local water company here uses them to read water meters; I'd like to call them up and say, "Let's make a deal!"

The sock aid is pretty clever; daughter and I were going over it this morning as I was using it. She is kind of intrigued by all my processes of this "journey" as she awaits acceptance to a nursing program; she will be a dynamite practitioner I think; of course I'm bias. I'm not even a Amazon Prime user, but I think the $10 sock aid was delivered practically overnight if you still wanna reconsider. I figure I'll let it collect dust after I don't need it, or more than likely pass it on to someone else (you always hear of someone else going through hip replacement--or at least I do at my advancing age).

Will check in tomorrow after the OS meeting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanDoWillDo
Recent bookmarks