Good morning new friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary I am a turtle for sure. I have just finally gotten to 104 rom at 12 weeks. I am so glad you are feeling a little better about everything.

How did your ortho and/or others handle your turtle pace? Did you have to fight off MUA?
 
Judy....I'd say you're doing just fine!!! Slow and steady is sometimes the BEST way to go.
 
Mary, think about your knee--since you had a valgus knee and a shifted femur your doc had to do more to make everything fit back together. I think it is reasonable to expect a little more time for healing when you have had a lot done to the knee. Kelly
 
Hopefully I've linked this properly.

One of the reasons I'm in the medical field is my fascination with the way the body works. Anyhow, all this debate about ROM has prompted me to ponder a lot of questions, and search the internet for clues. I came across this powerpoint presentation for a professional lecture on the stiff post-TKA knee which contains some interesting info I haven't found elsewhere. Probably you Brits have heard of the author, David Beverland. Anyhow, interesting info wherein he refers to one patient of his who refused a MUA (ROM at 12 weeks of 25-70). At one year this same patient had 5-120.

https://www.slideshare.net/Struijs/beverland-d-surgical-factors-influencing-rom
 
Gosh - never seen that website before! Most informative. Thanks Mary! Very interesting.

Never heard of him but a Google search shows him as working at Musgrove Park Hospital in Belfast, N Ireland.
Pretty darned good hospital, that.

.
 
Mary - interesting info - thanks for sharing. Just remember that slow and steady is the best way to move forward!
 
Thanks, Mary....that was interesting. It would have been even better to hear what he had to say! I'm glad you posted it.
 
Josephine, I didn't know the depth of your passion about knee surgeries. In EMS I attended many conferences, one of them national. I love the endless learning! I haven't come even close to finding my niche as nurse and therefore have not hit any conferences, but I did very much enjoy the medical mission to Ecuador last year and hope I can make it this year.
 
My passion is for orthopaedics, Mary. But hip surgery came before knees because I was scrubbing for the first of the modern concept of THRs back in 1963 where they first started! I also scrubbed for the very first (more or less) modern type of knee replacement that was done anywhere ever in 1964!

I do agree with you about the learning. One thing I always liked best about orthopaedics was that you never stopped learning. There was and is, always something new to learn about.

If you're interested, you can read more about my professional background here The History of Bone Smart Forum
.
 
That's some history, Jo.

I feel so lucky to have found this resource. It boosts my morale daily.
 
I think it is awesome that you have a passion for medical missions. My GP has been all over the world doing medical missions. I think that is one reason I love him so much is that he has such a passion for people.
:xmtr:
 
2nd session with new PT today. He loosens the patella and then stretches flexion and extension. Each stretch is to my tolerance. Even though I went "easy" on myself, boy do I feel achy and have had to take extra pain med (and probably will through tomorrow). I have to give the PT credit for being upbeat enough for both of us, and am very much enjoying the atmosphere of his business, which is in his home. I was surprised today at what a plus it was for his 4 year old son (he's also a 2 year old and 6 year old) to play nearby. Made for a relaxed and entertaining atmosphere, especially when the kid stripped to his skivvies.
 
'stripped to his skivvies'! What does that mean? (I so love these cultural differences!)

Glad to you had a good PT session. Keep taking the tablets and icing, won't you!
 
Jo......it's a thing kids do....right before they put their "skivvies" on their heads....

[Bonesmart.org] Good morning new friends
 
I enjoyed reading these posts. We really have some wonderful people here. They are all so nice and positive. This has been helpful. I love the idea of P.T. in the home!
 
Yeah, home PT in the PT's home! Watching that 4 year old boy was like going back in time to raising my own two sons :lvshwr: who are now 23 and 25. Just love those little boy "skivvies" (underpants) with the cartoon themes!

Anyhow, I have a question. This past summer when walking and biking caused too much pain, I got into kayaking. We live in a beautiful coastal area. It was very enjoyable and burned calories. What's more, any knee diminished when I kayaked (increased serotonin?) The only thing I took for pain was a quarter percocet at bedtime.

Fast forward to now: after PT on the "bad" knee, the "good" knee gets mad too. It's like sibling rivalry! Understand that PT today consisted of stretching the operative knee. I took extra pain med (hear that Jo?) on top of the usual anti-inflammatories.

NSAIDs stopped working for me 2-3 years ago as far as reducing pain. I assume :th_scratch: that they still calm inflammation. So I am taking 200 mg Celebrex a day, plus naproxen (plus the percocet q 4 hours for pain). I am impressed by the determination of my "good" knee to cause me discomfort without good reason. Curious to hear any thoughts about that.

If it were summer, I'd get myself out kayaking. Options are limited here in the winter in our remote location. Nevertheless, this has been one of my "happy" days, which are rare, and I feel very grateful for that.
 
Hi Mary,
It's so funny that you say that, because this last week, especially after PT, my good knee is not very happy! I have been doing a little more exercise, bike, stretching etc. Yesterday I left PT and I had a rubber knee. (the good one),then shortly followed by an angry knee. Both of them feeling bad at the same time. My OS has switched me to vicodin es from the percocet because I didn't feel that the percocet was helping with the new burning, restless leg feeling that I am having. He also put me on Mobic, which is an anti-flammatory once a day. It seems to be helping but I cannot take any other advil, alleve etc with this. I felt like I was making progress in the pain department and along comes something new!! This progresses as the day goes on. I have just started the vicodin es and the Mobic, but they seem to be helping. I will just have to wait and see. Definitely sounds like you are dong better each day and I am really glad to hear that. The McDonald's must have tasted great. For me. it has been ice cream, every night! My knee will heal but at this rate I won't be able to lift my bottom out of bed. Ha-Ha. Have a wonderful Christmas. sounds like you have found a "keeper" with your PT. I also see someone wonderful, compassionate an encouraging. It changes your whole outlook doesn't it?
 
NSAIDs stopped working for me 2-3 years ago as far as reducing pain. I assume :th_scratch: that they still calm inflammation. So I am taking 200 mg Celebrex a day, plus naproxen (plus the percocet q 4 hours for pain).

Mary, you need to eliminate one or the other of the NSAIDS you are taking....both Celebrex and naproxen fall in that category. NSAIDS are indeed anti-inflammants, but they can cause problems if you take too much. 200mg of your Celebrex is the recommended dose per 24 hours, so you are exceeding a normal NSAID dose by adding the Naproxen. If you like, you can take up to 4,000mg of Tylenol along with an NSAID in a 24-hour period. The dose for the Tylenol is most effective when taken 1,000mg at a time (2 extra-strength Tylenol).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom