Guest viewing is limited

1 year out and still got problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

showboat

new member
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
2
Location
United States
I am 1 year out as of yesterdaY (TKR)...saw my doctor in Nov 2010 told him about pain and my flexion which is 115..(extension -3)..my scar at some points are still red...he said I am still healing and the pain and the flexion will get better (???).. he said it could take well over a year to feel 100%..I could not even bend my knee when i went to him..it was terrible...I know i am at 115 and should be grateful..but i am determined to do better with the pain and flexsion..I go to the gym every other day, maybe im doing to much.. ..Can you shed some light on my issues...is it to late to get more flexsion..should I beleive the doctor when he says "for some people healing can take well over a year or two... I ride the recumbert bike..they say it helps with the flexsion..Help please..Wishing all the best..
 
Hello, showboat, and welcome to BoneSmart. I've moved your post into a thread of it's own so it doesn't get lost in Leenie's thread or derail it.

I would say you are doing too much and that you've probably done too much from day one! It's often been said on here that being over active can cause pain and swelling which will block your flexion and prevent it improving. I think this may have been your problem.

But all is not lost: 115 isn't that bad and indicates you still have plenty of time to get improvements. People here have reported continuing gains for up to two years so don't despair!

One thing you need to remember is that being too aggressive with your knee only causes swelling and swelling is painful! So are you still icing your knee? Elevating it after gym or long walks? Taking otc pain meds to ease the pain? If not, you should be.

There are some threads you might find helpful
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

https://bonesmart.org/forum/some-suggestions-for-home-physio-pt-t9591.htmlMyth busting: The "window of opportunity"
It's never too late to get more ROM!
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
Hi!
Believe the Docs. I'll be 1 year out next month and I am still making progress. I have full Rom but I had that before my surgery and didn't lose much afterwards. I have a ton of scarred muscles from years of inflammation from the bad knee, and my pelvis was out of alignment so I had considerable issues with my back and Scialtica.
I continue to see a Chiropractor and I have discovered that Orthopedic massage is wearing the scars down. (It is painful).
My issue was my Doc DID NOT tell me that it could take a year or 2 to heal. He gave me the "Three months and you will be hiking" talk. He is now my EX-OS.

Don't lose hope. This is a brutal surgery and some of us are just slow healers. ROM continues to be gained by our group as time goes on. Don't use me as an example. I am very flexable. I guess that is why I get hurt alot!!!
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, showboat. I'm glad you joined our forum. I'm one of those folks who gained ROM into my second year with my TKR. I feel like I could probably even get more if I worked at it. At least in my case, it's a factor of being overweight, so the tissue holds me back a little. Also, I think to get more, I would need to consciously work on stretching out the muscles and ligaments that have gotten rather used to the status quo. What I do NOT feel is restricting me is my knee implant!

So keep slowly working on your knee if you want more flexibility. But....in the end, the ROM is really just a number and the important thing is...can you successfully do the things you want to do in life? If the answer is yes, then you are where you need to be.
 
Yes, ROM is just a number, but you really shouldn't be having pain at this stage, unless you are doing too much (which you obviously are:snk:)

All this gym work isn't improving the situation, is it!, so really stop abusing the joint and you'll probably see the pain disappear and the movement improve.

I'm reminded (again) of the old Tommy Cooper Joke, when a man went to the docs, lifted his arm up and said "Doc, it hurts when I do this!!!", the Doc replied "Don't do it then!!"
 
Hi..sorry Josephine for posting in the wrong thread...I want to thank you and everyone who responded..it sure helps a great deal to listen to others..yes I still ice and elevate maybe I should take a week or two off from the gym..I am glad some of you think like my Doctor..i thought he was trying to get me out the door quick..like many and myself it can take more than a year maybe two to feel LIFE again..I'm glad I found this site..and if anyone else has more insight on my post, I would be very grateful if you share ..Thnks a million to all.
 
Well, I did almost nothing (who am I kidding! I did nothing!) for the first three weeks. I just rested, elevated, iced and ate pain pills for pudding! In between times I did a few heels slides and leg raises before I got out of bed in the morning and a few more while I was watching TV. Probably about a total of 20 for the entire day.

Other than that, I pottered about seeing to the cats and getting myself a snack here and there. I didn't go upstairs much, except to shower in the am, as I slept on the recliner. When I finally went to see the physio (PT) during week 3, she assessed my ROM, said it was fine and keep doing what you've been doing! I saw her again at 6 weeks and 3 months and she said the same thing except the 3 month one she also said 'byeee'! I saw my surgeon at 6 months (he doesn't do earlier follow-ups as he doesn't care for the whinging!) he said I was doing great and keep doing what I'm doing! I was honest and told him how little I was doing and he said it was obviously fine as my ROM was great! 120/0, btw.

It's now 135/-5 (could be more if my leg wasn't so fat!) and I am more than happy.

This recipe can be followed by anyone! :wink:
 
When I wrote it was around 10 weeks since the surgery and I had 90% bend & it was suggested I was over-doing it too. I eased off a bit and continued with my biking on stationary recumbent and I now have maybe 110% but there is still some indema so I'll get more when this goes down. I can now bike better ... indoors and outside on a trike bike and feel I'm getting there ... but slowly. I think the best advice is listen to your body and back off when it hurts. Good luck!
 
When you go to the gym, what is your routine? The others are correct---it take quite some time for this to actually totally heal. Gaining ROM can continue for quite some time. IT sounds like you are doing OK by icing and elevating, but perhaps you should go to the gym only twice a week and use more gentle exercises---riding a stationary bike and stretching---remember, when yo lift weights, you are tearing muscle fiber and this can cause some stiffness, too--and your tissue has had quite some trauma.

Do not be in a hurry--this all takes time---I was frustrated too, but it will all be fine down the road.

Tim C.
 
Hi, I can't tell you how great it is to read about you "1 year plus" guys who have gained more ROM and done less exercise than some.

I have been struggling a little of late, bit wimpish really, as I can't say there is much actual pain, just this very uncomfortable feeling of "in Jo's words" a mole wrench on my knee which comes on gradually over the couse of the day, but I am beginning to think it may be self-inflicted - because although I do raise my leg in the evening onto the couch, raising it up higher on pillows makes it really ache - any ideas? I do make a gradual raise with numerous pillows but don't really feel comfortable and do suffer a bit with the old restless leg syndrome!
I feel there is some swelling, but as I am an asthmatic, I cannot take Ibruprofen and not sure if there is any other sort of anti-inflammatory tablet I can take that won't affect it. Does anyone have any ideas at all??

Jo, you make me laugh with your stories and have followed your complete journey as far as I can although it seemed to stop a couple of months after your op (certainly the thread I was following) Fat legs are maybe my problem too!!!

Anyway, congratulations on cheering a very fed up lady today, you can always find a thread on here which cheers you up no end! Cheers:th_jumpy:from Aretha.
 
My thread came to a stop because at that time there really wasn't anything new to report. But I'm pleased you found it entertaining!

As for the pillows, only do what's comfortable. My thoughts are, are you elevating with your leg totally straight? That's very uncomfortable. There's no harm in you having the knee a little flexed like so
[Bonesmart.org] 1 year out and still got problems

just so long as you don't spend all evening in one position. Take breaks to have a short walk or do some heel slides.

One more thing, Aretha (and anyone else reading) - would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature, please? If you don't know how to do that, here are instructions How to create a signature
 
Thanks Jo, I did try to put my TKR details in my signature before and it shows in the Preview page but for some reason does not seem to appear on my posts, not sure why!!

Do you know where you get one of those leg rests, like the one you show, I think my problem was that I am elevating with my leg straight and it hurts after a wee while, and would love to get one like the one you show.

I will go in to my profile again and try to see what is wrong. Thanks.
 
Oops! Looks like it has worked this time, but I will make sig smaller I think. Thanks for the reminder Jo.
 
Where else but Amazon!

This one is memory foam so isn't cheap - £57.90, with shipping, no doubt! But if you look around for something cheaper, do make sure you get one that doesn't put too much of a bend on your knee. A little is okay but not too much.

[Bonesmart.org] 1 year out and still got problems


This would be way too much!
[Bonesmart.org] 1 year out and still got problems
 
Thanks Jo, knew you would know. I did see this one on Amazon, its my favourite website, but wasn't sure that the back was high enough, it looks lower than the one shown in your earlier message, but coouldn't find that one either. However, if this one is OK will probably go for it, after all, with another knee to be done sometime in the future it has to be a good bet and I want to be more than ready next time!!
 
Stick a something under the pillow! More than one way to skin a cat!
 
What a delightful photo Jo, he/she looks great and soooooo comfy!! Thanks for the advice and will do.
 
My avatar? Yeah, he's a dead smoochy little cat! Treats me like his personal body pillow!
 
Jo, Thanks for sharing the picture of the pillow. I wish I had seen this prior to having my first knee done last July, but will definitely have one for my upcoming surgery on my other knee on March 1.
 
Hey Show,
Have you got access to a warm water pool? One thing that has helped my ROM and my extension is water exercise. When you are in warm water and relaxed, you can bend your knees up against the side of the pool and work on it that way.
Gradually after a few weeks you can raise your knees more and more and press yourself to the side of the pool so that you are almost in a fetal position.This obviously will take time but the water therapy is so good for balance and gentle muscle work as you get back into the swing of things! Just a thought as to what has helped me the most with ROM issues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom